Changing Colors on Whelen Liberty light bar

JBI

Feb 16, 2016
VA
Hi y'all, first post. I have a work truck whose old KC Daylighters and single amber strobe have seen better days, and I've been thinking of replacing it with an all-in-one light bar. I'm seeing that Whelen is a good name, and I'm seeing some used ones available, but not always in the color I want. I've done a search and not had any luck...if I was to buy an ex-police Liberty LFL light bar, what would I need to change to make it amber instead of red / blue? Is it cost-effective to do this?

Also, is there any advice you'd give to someone with NO light bar experience looking at one of these? I'm wanting the amber LED's for when I'm working beside the highway at a bridge, etc, and a set of forward, rear, and side-mounted clears on a separate control(s) that would let me light up a work area if I'm on a jobsite with no other lighting.

Thanks for any answers, and I apologize in advance if this info is buried here somewhere...this Whelen section only shows 3 pages worth of past threads and none of them deal with changing colors...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks for any answers, and I apologize in advance if this info is buried here somewhere...this Whelen section only shows 3 pages worth of past threads and none of them deal with changing colors...

I have sent you a Personal Message (or Conversation, see the upper right hand corner of the webpage for notifications) with some information pertaining to the Whelen Liberty, Im sure someone will be along here shortly with more information.

Welcome to ELB!

JBI

Feb 16, 2016
VA
Thank you for your reply. I've returned your PM.

Forgot to mention, I've got a control system of sorts already available to me, pulled from an ex-CSX railroad truck. Maybe a picture would be best, but I don't have one available now. Basically there was a control panel with rocker switches that was suspended from the headliner. This used small-diameter wires which went to a second glass-faced relay box which mounted behind the seat. This second box received power from the battery, communicated with the switchbox, and distributed power to the different functions, at least eight of them if I remember correctly. The forward- and rear-facing KC Daylighters on the truck were on separate switches, as was the strobe.

Then other switches for wig-wag, train horn, rail lights, etc. To my knowledge all input and output from this system was 12V. This ex-RR truck was junk but had a good bed...I removed the bed and the above electrical system from it and installed them (not wired yet) onto an F350 cab and chassis that I already had.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.