Cheap Whelen grab

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Grabbed this one today at the local antique/tool/junk shop. I've got to do more testing, but so far 4 corner strobes work. Set up 4 strobes front and 4 halogen rear flashers with alley light. Someone removed the speaker a long time ago...

SANY0738.jpg

SANY0739.jpg

SANY0740.jpg

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
My excitement at the find, and looking through the lens optics, I posted the wrong layout. Front is corner strobe, clear strobe and then red halogen flasher. Found a 9000 wiring list, but the wires in the cable don't match. A phone call to Whelen in the morning... I'm hoping I don't have to open it up, but having doubts it's virgin.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I'm guessing it's a late 80s-early 90s version (?) due to the lens optics & thicker lens dividers. Off the top of my head, black = ground, red = power, blue should be all strobes, green for rear only, grey for front only (I always get those 2 confused). Cool bar.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Called Whelen just before 4 this afternoon, should get an e-mail tomorrow with correct color code. Not sure it's been hacked on the inside yet... more pressing projects tonight.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Big thanks to Tim at Whelen for the wiring schematic. Played with the Edge at lunch break, did get all functions to work... not all well. Looks like I'll have to break into it, "seems" some functions may have been tied together internally. Corner strobes appear to have a strong pack, clear strobes to front seems weak (left strong, right intermittent) but tied into rear flasher circuit. Do these bars run separate packs for strobe circuits?

MHQ

Jun 22, 2013
New England
If the bar came stock with 6 strobes there should be 2 supplies. One for the corners and 1 for the inboards. The power supplies in the Edge bars are not "regulated". This means that a linear (corner) and a helix (inboard) will not flash at the same intensity when flashed together. It would appear that someone added a newer 6 outlet supply for the extra 2 strobes. Be warned...the internals of those 9000 bars are nothing lees than a nightmare to navigate...good luck.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Liberty703 said:
Grabbed this one today at the local antique/tool/junk shop. I've got to do more testing, but so far 4 corner strobes work. Set up 4 strobes front and 4 halogen rear flashers with alley light. Someone removed the speaker a long time ago...

god i have of those in blue. if you need parts let me know

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
DefianceEngineCompany said:
god i have of those in blue. if you need parts let me know
I gambled on it... for $48+ tax it came home with me. I also have an all amber Edge 48" with speaker, but strobe pack bad. I figured I could recoup parting it if I needed to. I've got some FS stuff I started restoring... better wrap them up before starting another.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
MHQ said:
If the bar came stock with 6 strobes there should be 2 supplies. One for the corners and 1 for the inboards. The power supplies in the Edge bars are not "regulated". This means that a linear (corner) and a helix (inboard) will not flash at the same intensity when flashed together. It would appear that someone added a newer 6 outlet supply for the extra 2 strobes. Be warned...the internals of those 9000 bars are nothing lees than a nightmare to navigate...good luck.
Corner (linear) strobes work good. Inner clear (helix) works one side, but being fed same wire as rear inner flasher. Front inner flasher only working one side. Gotta clean up my bench before tearing into another!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.