Cheapest NFPA compliant all-led package for brush truck

blaster668

Jun 20, 2010
Polk, PA
My fire department is in the process of building a new brush truck. It will be a 2011 F350 SRW regular cab with an aluminum flatbed and 24" high diamond plate toolboxes on the sides of the bed. We are in a very rural area, and simply do not need a lot of warning power. There aren't even any traffic lights in our area. However, we would like for the truck to meet NFPA specs on lighting just for liability reasons. We do want to stick with all LED's and a fairly low profile main lightbar. Everything will be red, except some amber to the rear. Can anyone suggest what our cheapest options would probably be, while still maintaining NFPA? We are also considering some type of traffic advisor as well. The setup needs to be idiot proof, I want it to be simply a one switch operation to turn everything on. We don't have much need for clear takedowns and alleys.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
If you don't need much, I would put a mini bar on top (like some GA forestry trucks have... f350s now that I think about it) with 2 TIR 3's on the grill, a lin 3 or linz6 on the side at the front fender and another over the rear fender, HLF, tir 3's on the tag in the rear, and an amber TA on the back. If you can spend a little more, put some vertex's in the tail lights and maybe throw on a dash light to help with the mini bar. I'm usually all for tons of rear and intersection lighting, but if you are most in the woods or in a field, no need. You can get a led mini bar for a few hundred, 8 or so pimp pods (if you go all TIR style) for I think about $240, and maybe a microman bar. If you don't want a bar on top to snag limbs, look into an interior bar by someone like micro or ELS.

If you have a little more to spend, look at a depopulated liberty or the like and some 500 series led's.

eggcarton

May 24, 2010
QLD Australia
A mini bar, headlight flasher, some tir 3s at the back and maybe some at the side (depending how high the truck is). I know F350s are big but I dont know how big as there are only a couple that I know of in my area (outside USA).

Unfortunately most of our Rural fire just have 2 old halogen mini bars (some dont even work) and some are ex service trucks.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
not 100%, but i'm pretty sure that the tir3 isn't considered primary warning for nfpa (rather it's more secondary lighting); the 500 series is the smallest whelen lighthead that i'm sure is nfpa 1901-approved.

i'd go with the following:

--nfpa liberty (which clear/red combo of forward-facing LEDs but isn't "fully populated")

--lin6's (500 series) for the grill, intersection, mid-rear sides of the body, and rear

--beacons up top on the rear (covers upper warning for side and rear)

--HLF

Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the other suggestions, but i personally would rather wait &/or do some fundraising to get a superior lighting package that i know for sure is approved (since it's to be built now, it's held to the current standards, whereas older conversion trucks, such as old ex-military trucks, aren't). also, i have absolutely no beef with microman, pimp, etc. products, but for an apparatus (as opposed to POV), i'd stay with products that are in full nfpa compliance (ie have the approved nfpa packages)

starting on p 30 is whelen's nfpa lighting packages for small apparatus (this should hopefully be helpful): http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/Cat ... atalog.pdf

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Whelen Freedom

Front - Corner/Blank/400 Module/Blank/Takedown/Takedown/Blank/400 Module/Corner

Back - Corner/Blank/400 Module/Blank/Blank/Blank/Blank/400 Module/Blank/Corner

If the lightbar is not visible from the rear the remove the rear 400's from the bar.

1 - 700 series superled lighthead on each side

1 - 600 series superled lighthead in the rear upper corners of the truck.

1 - L32 beacon (i saw them in action yesterday, they are spectacular IMO) in each rear corner of the truck, if money allows.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
It's not so simple as choosing a color and minibar. You have to show light output at 19 test points for each of the 4 zones, as well as 5 degrees up and down at each test point, to be NFPA compliant. This costs money for engineers to determine, that's why they have pre-approved packages in all the manufacturers NFPA catalogs. You can't just slap a couple of lightheads on there and say it's compliant because the colors are correct.

For example, for SMALL APPARATUS for CALLING FOR RIGHT OF WAY the requirement for Zone A (front) is 1.000,000 candela-seconds/minute for the total of all 19 test points in the horizontal plane, with 10,000 candela-seconds/minute minimum in any one of the 19 test points and 3,500 candela-seconds/minute plus or minus 5 degrees from horizontal minimum for any of the 19 test points.

From the Whelen catalog:

How to Measure Lighting Specifications

EXAMPLE: Zone A Upper, Clearing the Right of Way Measurements.

1. Test all modules distributing light 45° right and 45° left at 5° increments (19 test points, total).

2. Add all 19 test points together for each module and add these modules together.

For example:

A rotating lamp has the same reading at all 19 points

(i.e. 120 candela seconds in red) 19 x 120 = 2280.

There are four of these identical rotators in Zone A 4 x 2280 = 9120.

There is also one clear rotator in Zone A that produces 600 candela. 19 x 600 x 1 = 11400.

Add 11400 to the four identical rotators (9120) for a total of 20520.

To convert to candela-second/minutes, multiply 20520 x 1.25 (Hz) x 60 (seconds).

The total is 1,539,000 candela-second/minutes.

3. There is a minimum requirement in Zone A for each of the 19 test points (10,000 candela-sec./min.).

For example: 20° left:

Four red rotators produce 220 candela seconds at 20° and one clear rotator produces 600 candela

seconds at 20° for a total of 1080 candela seconds. Multiply 1080 by 1.25 (Hz) and multiply by 60

(seconds) for a total of 81,000 candela-second/minutes.

4. The final test requirement for this zone is to check 5° up and 5° down at all 19 test points.

The minimum requirement for these areas is 3500 candela-second/minutes.

For example: at 35° left, 5° down:

All four identical red rotators get 40 candela seconds.

One clear rotator gets 200 candela seconds.

40 x 4 + 200 x 1.25 (Hz) x 60 (seconds) equals 27,000 candela-second/minutes

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
\ said:
It's not so simple as choosing a color and minibar./quote]

+1 - this is not like outfitting a POV. When you decide to go for a compliant package, there are a lot of details but most of the requirements can be easily satisfied when working with a competent vendor. All of the major manufacturers offer NFPA compliant packages. In addition to Whelen, take a look at Federal Signal: http://www.fedsig.com/industry_solution ... guides.php

PM me if you want some basic suggestions...

/dcb

blaster668

Jun 20, 2010
Polk, PA
Does anyone have any input as to whether it is absolutely necessary to exactly meet NFPA by using the suggested components that are in the manufacturers catalog? Or should we be ok by having all the zones covered? I do understand that NFPA is just a guideline and not a regulation. What I am thinking right now is either a 56" M-tech plus bar in all red for about $800, or a Whelen Justice special in all red that is available for about $1000 from multiple vendors. Two low level red Whelen 500's on all 4 sides, and an inexpensive traffic director on the rear. I believe all the low level warning would meet NFPA to the tee, just not sure about the upper, but I think we would be fine with this setup. The main lightbar should be visible 360 degrees, with maybe a little blockage from the hose reel to the center rear.

It's just that the advertised NFPA Whelen bars are expensive as hell, and don't seem to have many lightheads. Not to mention, we simply do not want any white lights.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
blaster668 said:
The main lightbar should be visible 360 degrees, with maybe a little blockage from the hose reel to the center rear.

1 red and 1 amber beacon to the rear (see my post above) would help with upper zone warning to the rear and side. dont have to be LED either if ur on a tight budget...the halogen ones work too, but i still truly believe in what i said about NFPA packages from the big boy manufacturers...

pdk9 said:
Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the other suggestions, but i personally would rather wait &/or do some fundraising to get a superior lighting package that i know for sure is approved (since it's to be built now, it's held to the current standards, whereas older conversion trucks, such as old ex-military trucks, aren't). also, i have absolutely no beef with microman, pimp, etc. products, but for an apparatus (as opposed to POV), i'd stay with products that are in full nfpa compliance (ie have the approved nfpa packages)

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
blaster668 said:
Does anyone have any input as to whether it is absolutely necessary to exactly meet NFPA by using the suggested components that are in the manufacturers catalog? Or should we be ok by having all the zones covered?

You can build your own package and it may be entirely adequate and effective for your needs. But, the mfg. won't sign off and provide a certificate of compliance unless you build the package in such a way that they can ensure all of the zones have been covered on the basis of their testing. Its this reason that you don't often see mixed components within a zone... Mfg #1 can't sign off only on 2 of 4 lightheads.

blaster668

Jun 20, 2010
Polk, PA
We are building this truck ourselves, so there will not be a manufacture to sign off on anything. This is one reason that I think it may be a mute point to try to be in complete compliance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.