Chevy Avalanche Install Questions

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
I have a friend who's wanting to install lights in his truck, nothing too crazy, just enough for 360 visibility. He had thought about just a dash light and some exterior stuff, but I'm trying to push an interior lightbar to him, something like the AWL Venom. Has anyone mounted one and was able to mount it without drilling any holes? I was able to mod my UV60 to mount it to the visor clips without drilling holes in the truck with minimal flashback, I'd like to do something similar for his truck. Also, has anyone tried installing lights on the exterior "roll cage" area? He's also wanting something minimal to the rear, so I was thinking about 2-4 exterior mounted lights on that part, as there's limited options for interior rear lighting.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
DJIceman97 said:
I have a friend who's wanting to install lights in his truck, nothing too crazy, just enough for 360 visibility. He had thought about just a dash light and some exterior stuff, but I'm trying to push an interior lightbar to him, something like the AWL Venom. Has anyone mounted one and was able to mount it without drilling any holes? I was able to mod my UV60 to mount it to the visor clips without drilling holes in the truck with minimal flashback, I'd like to do something similar for his truck.
I assume that you should be able to... I've never used this exact light, but foxtrot5 has one in his Silverado...

DJIceman97 said:
Also, has anyone tried installing lights on the exterior "roll cage" area?
Yes, I've had all 3 of my Full Sized lightbars (9622 Edge, Patriot, and now Liberty) mounted to the roof rack rails...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_20131116_115329_zps84db0f08.jpg

All I did was cut down some short mount straps I had, clamped it to the roof rack and drilled down through the strap and the rail...

DJIceman97 said:
He's also wanting something minimal to the rear, so I was thinking about 2-4 exterior mounted lights on that part, as there's limited options for interior rear lighting.

This is my rear:

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_20130726_1413341_zpsc5b0368c.jpg

A Whelen TIR-3/SNM E3 size light works great... Or a Feniex T-6... I have 4 SNM E3s and 2 Feniex Titan heads mounted between my tailgate and bumper... (this pic was taken when I had my Whelen LIN-3s back there...)

Last edited by a moderator:

silverunicorn

Jun 25, 2010
USA / PA
A bit off topic, but do you have any other photos of how you mounted the lightbars to the roof rack bars?

I do not want to remove my roof rack, but your mount seems like it may work. I know the Trailblazer racks are different, but maybe I can modify it a bit.

Thanks!

Chris

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
silverunicorn said:
A bit off topic, but do you have any other photos of how you mounted the lightbars to the roof rack bars?

I do not want to remove my roof rack, but your mount seems like it may work. I know the Trailblazer racks are different, but maybe I can modify it a bit.

Thanks!

Chris

Its just 2 bolts... There really isn't anything more to show... I clamped the mount strap to the top of the roof rack rail (the u-channel rail, NOT the cross bars) and drilled down through the mount strap, into the U-channel , and down through the bottom of it. No removal of the roof rack was needed for my truck, but I removed the cross rails just so there was less of a blockage of the rear of the bar.

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_20130716_205621_zps46bd359f.jpg

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
We need more pics of your avalanch boulder....not for me and my private collection but for who ever has questions about installs and such...

silverunicorn

Jun 25, 2010
USA / PA
Station 3 said:
We need more pics of your avalanch boulder....not for me and my private collection but for who ever has questions about installs and such...

I agree!!!

Wait...I agree with Station3??!!

There gores the neighborhood :)

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.