Choosing the Right Post

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I picked up the well-worn Federal Interceptor this week from a colleague here on ELB.

Interceptor-Front_zps30bf624a.jpg

Interceptor-Back_zps462ba16f.jpg

Unfortunately, there was no harness to come with it. So, before I blow it up and knock-out the power to 3,000 of my most calm and patient neighbors, I thought one or two of you might be able to guide me in selecting which posts to use for power and which to use for the speaker.

I offer my humble gratitude for your assistance.

Steve

DalmatProd

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Rick - Thanks for the recommendation and the link. I'll head over there in a bit and see what I can dig up from the bowels of Federal! LOL

Thanks again!

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Thanks, Chief! Coincidentally, just as the notice of your reply to the thread came in, I had found the almost identical schematic by searching Google.

Thanks for link!

Steve

DalmatProd

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Which version is it? 2B, 2C, 2D, or 2E? The first two digits of the serial number will tell you which version you have.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Wailer - It's a 2E. I found the schematic for it online and will go in to my home/office - workshop in a bit and test in out.

Thanks for helping out!

Steve

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Steve, if it doesn't work don't worry. The 2E was made in the 1970s and is by far the most common version of the Interceptor. There are lots of them out there and you should have no problem finding another one. It has high-pitched wail and yelp tones and sounds like the electronic sirens that are in use today.

The earlier versions (2B, 2C, and 2D) were designed in the late 1960s and have low-pitched wail and yelp tones. They are rare compared to the 2E and don't sound anything like the 2E.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Wailer - I guess that's both good and bad news. Good news insofar as the 2E is very common and easy to get a hold of; and bad news as it appears that I would have preferred an "older" version, because of the uniqueness of their tones, which is what I was looking for in the first place.

However, I should have done my own homework before I started investing. My whole purpose in starting my small collection was to pick up a few early mini-bars and a few sirens, specifically, early electronic models, especially those with the more "throaty" sound. I love the PowerCall, but the few that I've found had prices better for Donald Trump! LOL

So I'll keep looking and researching better before I open my wallet.

Thanks for help and advice!!

Steve

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.