Chopping a Liberty

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I'm thinking of cutting down a 49" Liberty to make a smaller version - like 28" +/- or so.

I was thinking of having 4 corners, & 2 front facing & 2 rear facing 500 series lights - LIN12 corners & PROBABLY 4 TIR6's inboard.

For the frame piece(s) I was going to use a portion of the top part where there are no holes drilled & just re-drill my own so I can re-center the holes & not have them offset...

I kind of don't want to use a Sho-me 11.1005SF strobe effect flasher & may go with a 27 pattern sho-me.

Odds are the bar will be all amber in which case it may end up on my truck :cool:

Between the frame & LEDs alone, I'll have about 270 tied into this project + whatever else I have to buy (still a far cry from a new mini Liberty though).

Can't say I've ever seen what I'd like to put together, so I guess the main question is "should I?" & is there anything you would change?

I've always thought the mini should have 2 front/rear lightheads. The 1 just looks odd to me.

If I had the extra time, coin, and need.... I'd probably build one too.

I vote "YES" FTW!!!

rwo978 said:
I've always thought the mini should have 2 front/rear lightheads. The 1 just looks odd to me.

If I had the extra time, coin, and need.... I'd probably build one too.

I vote "YES" FTW!!!

It may be weird, try leaving one space in the middle for takedown, and in the back have one rear amber or whatever color or maybe black lens.

Thats' the same setup as the 22" Mini-Liberty; had a few, good setup, but has been done :cool:

I put the 49" under the saw....it's cut! Turned out OK so far :)

luckyducky said:
It may be weird, try leaving one space in the middle for takedown, and in the back have one rear amber or whatever color or maybe black lens.

Charger, I have one that I cut down from a 55" bar. It has 4 corners and 4 inboard heads. All run off of 3 whelen flashers. I believe it measures some where around 37 1/2 inches. The inner supports were moved in to the inner holes and new holes drilled in the center.

Yeah, how are you doing the holes? Did you cut off both ends, or just redrilling holes?

I cut it almost directly in half & re-drilled the holes on top - couldn't get a "smooth" part of frame for the length I needed.

So, I drilled 2 new ones & will seal up the old ones.

Right now my holdups are a flasher (or flashers) & lenses/endcaps.

Nice job, but those end modules are angled a bit too much to the sides and should face forward a little more. Is it because of having to leave space for the 2 centered modules?

OK, thanks for the tech explanation, as I don't have any experience dealing with a Liberty frame. They just looked a little more angled in the pic from what I've seen in the bars around here.....

03crownvic said:
OK, thanks for the tech explanation, as I don't have any experience dealing with a Liberty frame. They just looked a little more angled in the pic from what I've seen in the bars around here.....

it's the angel of the pic

Mike

I have had several mini lfl's with bad power supplys. instead of paying the bull shit price

for new ones or used ones I was able to use a couple of the sealed power supplys I already

had, these power supplys were the same height as the stock power supplys and besides

I also found out that the lenses, end caps actually hold most of the back together.

I also built a led mini lfl by using the the same old stock power supply, My leds are aimed

straight out and Also have 500's in the end caps which actually gives me alot of coverage

all around the the lite. I also run fun other lights leds on the car that covers my lighting

360 degrees. So it all depends what you really want to do, the bar you have in your

picture looks really great if you ask me, go with it as its your custom bar and thats

all that counts. I have found out that asking for others options are like ass holes and

and everyone has one. So Mike the bar looks really great and is one if a kind .

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens

Pods are the Future :mrgreen:

Did not know that; it never occurred to me :) Thanks Eric

I had someone contact me about a Responder LP flasher - can't remember if I didn't get back to them or vice versa. I was considering that or a 27 pattern sho-me.

I wanted to make something different & that hasn't been done (to my knowledge). Plus it keeps cost down as compared to as 49" bar & re-filling it with LEDs & other necessary parts. AND you see the mini Liberty quite a bit as well in the 17" & 22" version.

It is almost done, I think I'll leave it as a 6-head - just waiting on my lens set & nailing down a flasher.

EL1998P71 said:
The blank part doesn't slide in, you can put one end in, and push on the other side, snapping it into the track.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381