CHP Charger

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Hope this isn't the new patrol rig (although it doesn't look bad, I just hate chargers). Wanna see some 2016 Utilities on the road.

Attachments

• CHP charger.jpg
    CHP charger.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 519
Reactions: Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's not a bad setup....the V-series on the sides of the PB with their typical raider setup will give some nice front warning (although I would mount the AS124 the right way up and beneath the raiders).

Actually, I think the chargers are overall better for highway patrol than the NGPI Utilities, except in NorCal (where they could def use the SUV in the snow). I just wish CHP put more reflective striping on their vehicles, especially to the rear (like FHP).....I mean, even ghost reflective stripes (if they wanna maintain the all white look) would be nice for increasing the vis of the vehicle at night

Reactions: Storm4200

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I was just noticing the same thing.
APLR in front of the bar may block some of the lightbar and it has a terrible pitch to it. Lighting up the sky directing planes.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
All the all white ones I've seen are all commercial enforcement. They are running black and whites still. There was a post not long back where there were hundreds of NGPI Utilities in a lot.

Reactions: ff168577

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
There was a big announcement a model year or so that the CHP was planning to transition all or most of their enforcement-class fleet to the NGPI Utility as it met their performance, interior comfort and cargo capacity needs.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
For being sticklers about proper lighting etc. I'm surprised they don't have any lower level lighting to the rear. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go this year.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I would think the factory taillights and or vertex reverse lights must be back there, I can't get over how poorly the angle appears on the bar light. Wouldn't that diminish the effectiveness of the light bar??.. Takedowns signaling for Batman and all. o_O

The only vehicle that has been approved by the CHP for patrol is the police interceptor utility this decision was based on total weight capacity. The requirements are the patrol vehicle must be fully equipped with the standard gear (several hundreds pounds worth and be capable of transporting four CHP officers in full tactical gear (plate body armor and patrol rifles) the utility and Tahoe were the only two vehicles capeable of supporting the weight. The Tahoe's higher initial cost and lower miles per gallon made it an easy decision. There are interceptor sedans and chargers in the fleet but they are unmarked and for use by command staff.

Oh and yes all white patrol cars are for commercial motor vehicle enforcement. The all white CMV vehicles are always slick top and unlike the black & white's they don't have the CHP motto on the rear fender and don't say Highway Patrol on the trunk. The chargers in the photos are most likely used for show or exhibition.

PS,

The 2016 utilities will be ordered with the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 instead of the current 3.7L naturally aspirated V6

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Those MPG assessments are mistaken, the Tahoe 2WD PPV, 4WD PPV and 4X4 SSV all get better MPG than the NGPI Utility with either available powertrain

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I like the v series 500s in Raider housings, surprised they didn't just use them on the interior of the pushbumper as well.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Ok what does NGPI stand for. I've been referring to the Ford Police Interceptor Utility AKA PIU.
Someone apparently has banned the use of the word "new" or otherwise removed it from the English language, and replaced it with "Next Generation" which is what that NGPI means: Next Generation Police Interceptor.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Published MPG figures: Tahoe 2WD PPV 16/23, 4WD PPV 16/22, 4X4 SSV 16/22. NGPI Utility 3.7 16/21, EcoBoost 15/20.

zsiya

May 22, 2010
AL
Saw this on CHPs FB page. This vehicle is for testing purposes and was displayed at the academy.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Hum. I had no idea that the mileage was so close between the big V8 in the Tahoe and the 3.7l / 3.5 turbo V6 in the PIU AKA NGPIU

Until the MPG figures were published by Ford and GM I expected the Intercepter Utility to have the fuel efficiency edge over the Tahoe due to it's lighter curb weight and smaller engine, I was shocked to see the opposite

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The only vehicle that has been approved by the CHP for patrol is the police interceptor utility this decision was based on total weight capacity. The requirements are the patrol vehicle must be fully equipped with the standard gear (several hundreds pounds worth and be capable of transporting four CHP officers in full tactical gear (plate body armor and patrol rifles) the utility and Tahoe were the only two vehicles capeable of supporting the weight. The Tahoe's higher initial cost and lower miles per gallon made it an easy decision. There are interceptor sedans and chargers in the fleet but they are unmarked and for use by command staff.

That's crazy to require standard patrol vehicles to be able to carry a payload of up to 4 fully-decked-out officers for the unlikely, rare event that they might load up the units that much; that's just not practical IMO. They should also take into consideration vehicle maintenance, speeds, and resale value. My city's PD tested all the PPV/SSV-type vehicles to replace the CVPI, and they switched from the caprice (initial choice) to the Tahoe b/c it only cost them $800 more, provided more space and officer comfort, & bad a substantially higher resale value.

I love driving Tahoe PPVs (if I had to get into a crash in any patrol vehicle, it'd be in a CVPI or Tahoe). I don't know how the official crash test ratings compare between the NGPI Utility and Tahoe, but I def feel more comfortable in a body on frame.
As for maintenance, I'm admittedly biased and favor the Tahoe over the NGPI family

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckypmp

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
I would think the factory taillights and or vertex reverse lights must be back there, I can't get over how poorly the angle appears on the bar light. Wouldn't that diminish the effectiveness of the light bar??.. Takedowns signaling for Batman and all. o_O

In all the videos I've seen of their units not one had vertex's in the back tail lights.

Adam12, when will the 2016's hit the road? I'm looking forward to those; much neater looking than the 13-15's (although they're nice looking). Will these have liberty II's by any change or they still recycling or have extra old versions liberties in stock?

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
I read that someone spoke to a CHP officer recently and they said they no longer use white for just commercial enforcement. They're using it for stealth, to be different.

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
That's crazy to require standard patrol vehicles to be able to carry a payload of up to 4 fully-decked-out officers for the unlikely, rare event that they might load up the units that much; that's just not practical IMO. They should also take into consideration vehicle maintenance, speeds, and resale value. My city's PD tested all the PPV/SSV-type vehicles to replace the CVPI, and they switched from the caprice (initial choice) to the Tahoe b/c it only cost them $800 more, provided more space and officer comfort, & bad a substantially higher resale value.

I love driving Tahoe PPVs (if I had to get into a crash in any patrol vehicle, it'd be in a CVPI or Tahoe). I don't know how the official crash test ratings compare between the NGPI Utility and Tahoe, but I def feel more comfortable in a body on frame.
As for maintenance, I'm admittedly biased and favor the Tahoe over the NGPI family

It isn't that crazy. With all the wild fires, mutual aid for protest and civil unrest responses. Each area loads several cars with 4 people and they respond to that area. That way it keeps all the areas with enough cars for normal patrol duties. Nothing wrong if that is the standard they want. They also don't put lights to the rear in taillight housings. It is actually illegal to alter a tailiight/headlight housing. (Read that before and trying to find the law again) therefore CHP takes that literally and does not alter them.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
They also don't put lights to the rear in taillight housings. It is actually illegal to alter a tailiight/headlight housing. (Read that before and trying to find the law again) therefore CHP takes that literally and does not alter them.

Illegal in CA?

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
Hope this isn't the new patrol rig (although it doesn't look bad, I just hate chargers). Wanna see some 2016 Utilities on the road.

that push bumper looks like it belongs on a thaoe and not the charger

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Im not a fan of the new type of units....I actually broke the chargers the first 30 seconds they gave me the keys to one as soon as i stepped in i broke the entire plastic floor board thingy next to the door the thing is like 2 feet long and i completely broke it off with my big Taco feet....... they are fast tho but they suck for County patrol they are more for the road and city boys not county....I call our chargers and the officers that drive them the Rainbow butterfly guys because they are usually behind a desk and just drive the cars home and never actually do any policing... Give me a Truck a tahoe or a vic and im happy maybe also a Ford utility.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Spoke to someone in CHP fleet. According to that word, they are not ordering any more PIU. SO I doubt any 2016+ will ever fly the CHP colors.

Word is that they have been having nothing but issues with them. Brakes, transmissions, electronics. I guess there is also an issue with their low-band VHF radios frying a sensor, and Ford cant find the issue, then said that it is not their problem as it is the aftermarket equipment that is causing the problem.

Word is when Dodge got wind of the issues CHP was having, they came to them wanting to know what they needed to do to have a chance. CHP told them, so apparently the new Charger is built, in part for CHP for their specifications.

They still use, and order Expeditions and Durangos for Mountain and Desert areas that need 4x4.

And they would put a HLF on the cars in a heartbeat if they could, so maybe they will be able to go back to them now.

And from speaking to several CHP officers, they do not have EcoBoost units.

I am 85% sure that once the current fleet is retired they will go to Chargers, or something else by then.

Maybe Ford fixed the issues with the 2016 versions, but not sure. But I love the look of them with CHP colors, and would love to see a 2016.

My department had a transfer case blow on a 2014 with less then 25k on the clock.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
...and they think Dodge is going to be any better? Okay, good luck to them. If you go over board on electronics like CHP does and push a dumpy V6 engine like a trooper would I wouldn't expect anything but problems. We had dodges and of course they sucked. We blew through so much money on them. We'd stick with Caprice but waiting for things from Australia isn't acceptable so we are switching over to the PIU and have had no problems. Just getting 2016's on the road this year.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
I cant help but to scratch my head at who comes up with their lighting concepts. Go ahead and turn the raiders forward facing since you are using the V-Series on the sides.. then the speaker mounted on its side and the lightbar tilt. Whatever...... nothing surprises me with their installs.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
A twitter post by @CHPMarin: 2016 Dodge Charger on display at the CHP Academy today. This will be the next CHP patrol sedan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.