CHP Ford Explorers

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
crescentstar69 said:
It would appear they have chosen their new cruisers LOL

They announced last year that after evaluating all of the NG police vehicles the Interceptor Utility best met their needs as their enforcement class vehicle and going forward it would comprise the bulk of the fleet. Judging by the photo they weren't kidding.

crazynova

Mar 25, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Reno911 said:
They don't even have all the equipment to finish equipping them I heard.

That's not atypical for a large agency. We are getting out first 50 PI Utilities in a few weeks but just barely awarded the bid for the graphics and haven't finished bidding on the cages/rear seat set up yet. By the time they get to the ones without equipment yet, they will probably have it.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Reno911 said:
They don't even have all the equipment to finish equipping them I heard.

Chp is very good with reusing equipment off the old vehicles. Obviously in this case, the lightbar, and lights on the pushbar will be the only stuff to be reused due to going from sedan to SUV.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
ff168577 said:
Chp is very good with reusing equipment off the old vehicles. Obviously in this case, the lightbar, and lights on the pushbar will be the only stuff to be reused due to going from sedan to SUV.

Yep. 2011 crown vics got the new radio system, those aren't going out of service. Half of the 09s got LED light bars so there aren't a ton of them coming off the cars, but there may be enough for most of the new cars.

They changed the design of some of the other epuipment that was universal in cars too.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Looks like a TX DPS parking lot i saw a picture of not to long ago full of those SUVs

WHICH i am currently in the market of buying my own personal civilian version one right now in all wheel drive

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Station 3 said:
Looks like a TX DPS parking lot i saw a picture of not to long ago full of those SUVs

WHICH i am currently in the market of buying my own personal civilian version one right now in all wheel drive

No. get the PPV because the all wheel drive system is better than the civi version.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
osufire90 said:
So I notice that some CHP stuff is the color scheme pictured above while others are all white? Whats the difference?

Long ago I asked a CHPie this (in his white camaro) and he said the all white does did commercial enforcement mainly.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
The CHP white cars were for commercial enforcement but I have seen in other threads they did away with that and are used for something else now.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
VMAN said:
Anyone know if these new vehicles are all going to be using the CVPE thing by rockwell collins? Or are they going to keep some of the RANGRs
RANGRs.... I didn't think they were still in use anymore, mostly because they are not Narrowband Compliant.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
lafd55 said:
RANGRs.... I didn't think they were still in use anymore, mostly because they are not Narrowband Compliant.

2009 was the last year MT was equipping them in the patrol cars. They still use the S810 and I heard they will continue to use some for communications, like for EVOC.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
arsenal10 said:
Little surprised they didn't go with the newer ion style mirror lights, assuming the mirror covers aren't reusable from crowd vics.

im not. those newer IONs are garbage. even the 'wide angle' ones. CHP likes their LIN6s. i think theyre MUCH more effective then those useless IONs.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
arsenal10 said:
Little surprised they didn't go with the newer ion style mirror lights, assuming the mirror covers aren't reusable from crowd vics.

Someone on here mentioned a few days ago that they like to use all LIN 6's so they only have to keep one kind in stock. That's why they use raiders for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
arsenal10 said:
I see only push bumper raiders and fog light warning. Assuming they will get more.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_07_24_qudy7yde.jpg

This was the first to be equipped, when this photo was taken they were waiting on equipment.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
RL1 said:
Someone on here mentioned a few days ago that they like to use all LIN 6's so they only have to keep one kind in stock. That's why they use raiders for everything.

100% correct. they are all modular.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
GTIdriver said:
These vehicles are starting to pop up everywhere now.

Drove San Fran - LA 4 times in the last 2 weeks and didn't seen one. Hopefully see them popping up in SoCal soon.

Edit: Saw one today! Agoura Hills!

SnuffJ25

May 25, 2010
Penacook, NH
Sorry if this is a stupid question... Bear with me, I'm from NH. Why are there black and white CHP cars and white CHP cars? Whats the difference?

Joe

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
SnuffJ25 said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question... Bear with me, I'm from NH. Why are there black and white CHP cars and white CHP cars? Whats the difference?
Joe

The white CHP are commercial enforcement vehicles.

556fmj

Aug 17, 2011
CA
Kevin K. said:
If I'm not mistaken, the LED fog lights were added to serve as the wig-wags in place of the HLF.

Yes...that is correct. The LEDs are white and wig wag.

556fmj

Aug 17, 2011
CA
FireEMSPolice said:
So I take it they arent going to be using anymore homemade pushbars?

I think they are going with a off the shelf push bumper. I want to say it's a Setina bumper. I had two CHP interceptor utilities arrive on one of my calls and spent some time looking at their setup and equipment.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
556fmj said:
I think they are going with a off the shelf push bumper. I want to say it's a Setina bumper. I had two CHP interceptor utilities arrive on one of my calls and spent some time looking at their setup and equipment.

I was doing the same thing on a turnover I had, too!

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
Nice sleek and modern. I do think that only (2) white doors on a police vehicle does look better than (4) white doors. Having more black on the vehicle does look much better on the Police Interceptor Utility !!

IMG_1373.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.