CHP going to Harley's

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Good friend drives a BMW police bike and its expensive to maintain. Only gets about 3000 miles out f a front tire. I think the new Kawasaki police bike is the best bang for the buck, not to mention it looks good too. A local city here uses them.

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
I've been a motor officer since 2000, I have ridden mainly Harley's and tested The BMW. But the motor I like is the new Victory....... Fast, maneuverable and has skid plates so you don't hurt all the important parts.

image-325535542.jpg

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
Looks old school !!! I wonder if this is what the majority of CHP officers wanted to go with? I'm sure they will be a lot more cost effective and offer a much more comfy ride.

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
I've talk to 4 CHP motor officers that I know. They are all disappointed. They don't like the kawasakis because they say that it's not comfortable. Not trilled about the Harley's because of the slow catch up speed. They much would of rather had BMW again

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
twodogs603 said:
Good friend drives a BMW police bike and its expensive to maintain. Only gets about 3000 miles out f a front tire. I think the new Kawasaki police bike is the best bang for the buck, not to mention it looks good too. A local city here uses them.

Newport News, VA has the Kawa Connies...they really like them. Our agency switched from Harleys to BMWs, but they have a deal where the maintenance was thrown into the contract. Good thing, they eat tires and clutches like crazy. Single plate dry vs. the Harley and Connie multi plate wet.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I thought CHP had some Concours 14's, liked them and contracted only to have Kawasaki suspend sales for LE use. Something about a fuse blowing, causing the engine to stall. Michigan has not tested them in the past couple of years. The BMW is a fast bike, and handles great. The HD's do good, and have a quick response, (0-60 in 6.13 seconds is the slowest PMC). The CVPI proved that LEO's are not overly concerned with going fast, being the slowest PPV in recent times. I find the cruiser riding position more comfortable than the sport bike style of the BMW. Not to mention, a cruiser looks much better than a sport bike doing precision riding.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
HILO said:
I thought CHP had some Concours 14's, liked them and contracted only to have Kawasaki suspend sales for LE use. Something about a fuse blowing, causing the engine to stall. Michigan has not tested them in the past couple of years. The BMW is a fast bike, and handles great. The HD's do good, and have a quick response, (0-60 in 6.13 seconds is the slowest PMC). The CVPI proved that LEO's are not overly concerned with going fast, being the slowest PPV in recent times. I find the cruiser riding position more comfortable than the sport bike style of the BMW. Not to mention, a cruiser looks much better than a sport bike doing precision riding.

Actually how slow the Clown Vic was was the biggest complaint officers had. But they would rather have a comfortable vehicle then be crammed into a Taurus/Impala/Charger. Now that Ford Dodge and Chevy are all mid sized sedans they have no choice, other than the Exploder PPV offering decent room inside. (Pursuit rated)

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
RyanZ71 said:
Actually how slow the Clown Vic was was the biggest complaint officers had. But they would rather have a comfortable vehicle then be crammed into a Taurus/Impala/Charger. Now that Ford Dodge and Chevy are all mid sized sedans they have no choice, other than the Exploder PPV offering decent room inside. (Pursuit rated)

Exactly my point. The HD is a very comfortable bike, compared to the BMW. I'd expect the CHP Jockies will adapt to the HD's much like they did the CVPI.

When Dallas PD went from KZ100p's to the HD, it was an adjustment, but now they are happy.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Watching the video, I saw there was a blue PAR-whatever on the front with a red linear right below it, angled slightly. Does that qualify as split-fail?

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
HILO said:

From a motorcycle forum where some CHP guys hang out - it sounds like CHP required the bike to be "factory certified", and the Kawi's were being built up by dealers (and the manufacturer didn't certify the bikes). So no go. Only BMW and HD are factory certified. But going off memory of what I read - but something along those lines.

Edit to quote:

"Originally the dealer we got them from defaulted on the bid. Then they started having electrical problems which prompted Kawi NA to put a stop on any dealer setting up police bikes.

So out department changed the bids to require any bike submitted be 'factory certified' which is only the BMW and Harley since Kawi is still working on theirs"

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
HILO said:
Exactly my point. The HD is a very comfortable bike, compared to the BMW.

I've put tens of thousands of miles annually on a BMW motorcycle, and I find the upright riding position absolutely superb. Not only is it comfortable (more natural, like sitting in a chair) but I've found it also makes quick maneuvering that much easier.

Someone once told me that the motorcycle riding position reflects the historical horse riding positions.

American/Western Horse riding, just like the bike "cruisers" reflects long riding across wide open spaces. Leaned back, more casual.

European Horse riding, just like the "sport/touring" bike reflects the fox hunting through forests where it was important to weave in and out of trees and change directions quickly.

I suppose anything works as long as you get used to it, but it's been my experience that the BMW position is much better suited for LE work.

But that's just my $0.02

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
PJD642 said:
Watching the video, I saw there was a blue PAR-whatever on the front with a red linear right below it, angled slightly. Does that qualify as split-fail?

CHP loves the red for intersection lighting.Perfect examples is the patrol cars. Red on both side mirrors and push bumpers. They just love Red

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
Are those LINZ3's on the rear/side box? The rear light heads could do being separated to the edges a little more for a bigger footprint.

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
So CHP are still not ATGATT (all the gear all the time) when it comes to protective clothing for their motorbike officers.

They may look "cool", but shirtsleeves on a motorbike? They must be crazy. :bonk:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Snibsey said:
So CHP are still not ATGATT (all the gear all the time) when it comes to protective clothing for their motorbike officers.

They may look "cool", but shirtsleeves on a motorbike? They must be crazy. :bonk:
One of the services where I am - I'm Air Force so it might be us, but I'm on an Army post so maybe them - requires anyone with a motorcycle to wear full protective gear whenever they ride, even if it's just a 10-minute commute. Then on the other hand, there's the CHP, who apparently has their guys on a bike all day long and doesn't require anything but a helmet.. :weird:

...Then again, we've also got to wear reflective belts at pretty ridiculous times (which times depend on the particular service, we've got sizable numbers of all four here) so strict safety stuff is kinda big anyway.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Snibsey said:

Every Texas PD with motors ride short sleeve in summer, long sleeve in cooler, and leather coat in winter. Tall leather boots and 'riding' britches. 3/4 helmets. Most wear riding glasses and gloves. Honestly, I've never seen LE motorjocks wearing full riding gear.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Knight90 said:
Temple PD does full gear.

2006 TPD Group photo.JPG

Sure does look like short sleeves, britches, and tall boots in that photo...

I'd say it is very common for motorjocks to wear short sleeves nation wide. Even in Chicago and NYC. That is why I was a bit surprised at Snibsey's surprise that CHP does not ride full gear. It's even rather common to see motorjocks not wearing gloves, which I find odd as a rider.

In this video, every jock seen is in short sleeves. More importantly, it brings us closer to topic. You cant scrap on a BMW (you can, but if you do, your down)

crazynova

Mar 25, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
nerdly_dood said:
One of the services where I am - I'm Air Force so it might be us, but I'm on an Army post so maybe them - requires anyone with a motorcycle to wear full protective gear whenever they ride, even if it's just a 10-minute commute. Then on the other hand, there's the CHP, who apparently has their guys on a bike all day long and doesn't require anything but a helmet.. :weird:

...Then again, we've also got to wear reflective belts at pretty ridiculous times (which times depend on the particular service, we've got sizable numbers of all four here) so strict safety stuff is kinda big anyway.

Those pants look like breaches (sp?) which are designed for motor use. The boots are extremely good protection, and the vests also protect the body as much as any motorcycle jacket does. The only thing they don't require is long sleeves it looks like.

Knight90

May 28, 2010
Texas
HILO said:
View attachment 61609

Sure does look like short sleeves, britches, and tall boots in that photo...

I'd say it is very common for motorjocks to wear short sleeves nation wide. Even in Chicago and NYC. That is why I was a bit surprised at Snibsey's surprise that CHP does not ride full gear. It's even rather common to see motorjocks not wearing gloves, which I find odd as a rider.

In this video, every jock seen is in short sleeves. More importantly, it brings us closer to topic. You cant scrap on a BMW (you can, but if you do, your down)

Dont know how old that photo is but at an officer funeral this year they were in full gear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.