Cleaning It Up

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
SirenCover_zps67c2b764.jpg Well, with my daughters home for the week, my wife and girls were working on some candlesticks that we'll set out for our holiday dinner on Wednesday night. My wife then asked if I had anything I wanted them to work on. So, I gave them this front cover of the FS siren I picked up recently to see if they could make any headway. They used both "Wright's Silver Cream" and "NEVR-Dull." This was the result. It's definitely better that how I received it, but I'm wondering if it's possible to clean it up even more.

You can see the patina to the left of the bottom lateral lines, after the years of being beaten up on the outside of a fire apparatus. I gave her this first, to get an idea of the amount of work and the materials needed to clean up the whole siren before I add it to the display. So, do any of you who specialize in these external units have some ideas or recommendations of how I can clean this unit up even better? Please bear in mind that I do not have a "shop" in my garage. I have a couple of basic tools, however I do not one a bench grinder/polisher, or anything like that.

As always, thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Steve

DalmatProd

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
chief1565 said:
You can get a buffer wheel that will fit a drill.buffer wheel for drill - Bing Images and some good buffer compound

Thanks, Chief. THAT I can do! My car knows how to drive itself to both Home Depot AND Lowe's! I think it happens automatically when you own your own place! LOL

Thanks again!

Steve

ful-vue

Aug 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
wfdstation42 said:
Before buffing clean them with a good old fashioned SOS pad found in the cleaning supply isle of any grocery store.

Over in the gun forums, they warn that using steel wool can embed particles in the surface of the object and actually promote rust. I think I would use a ScotchBrite pad instead.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
ful-vue said:
Over in the gun forums, they warn that using steel wool can embed particles in the surface of the object and actually promote rust. I think I would use a ScotchBrite pad instead.

That may be true on steel or blued steel but on a chrome surface a scotchbrite pad may leave scratch marks like sandpaper, been there, done that. I've used SOS pads on numerous chrome objects over the years without an issue. In a pinch I've even used "0000" steel wool with dish soap. Back in the day SOS used to advertise using their pads on chrome trim on cars.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Wailer said:
That grille looks like it's from a WG or EG model.

Thanks for helping to pinpoint the model, as the person I bought it from was never connected to any division of emergency service. Not only that, but he received it as a gift from his father-in-law and it's so old, there's no label on it.

I will post another pic of the main body later today.

Steve

tcfd126

Jul 7, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Yeah um false. I am a career Firefighter Paramedic and have been in emergency services on the career side for 10 years. It is true that my father in law (a former fireman) gave it to me. I just have no desire for collecting vintage items but do respect the history of them. It was unclear of whether it was a EG or a WG model from FedSig as our board experts narrowed it down but could not come to a definite conclusion. And even because it is that "old" (relative term I guess) doesn't mean it did not come without a tag. It was just missing when I received it.

Kurt

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
tcfd126 said:
Yeah um false. I am a career Firefighter Paramedic and have been in emergency services on the career side for 10 years. It is true that my father in law (a former fireman) gave it to me. I just have no desire for collecting vintage items but do respect the history of them. It was unclear of whether it was a EG or a WG model from FedSig as our board experts narrowed it down but could not come to a definite conclusion. And even because it is that "old" (relative term I guess) doesn't mean it did not come without a tag. It was just missing when I received it.

Kurt

Kurt,

"Mea culpa." I apologize for misunderstanding you original post. I mistook your lack of interest as lack of experience.

I can say that TCDD126 communicated every aspect of our transaction and included every detail that was possible.

Again my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Steve

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
wfdstation42 said:
That may be true on steel or blued steel but on a chrome surface a scotchbrite pad may leave scratch marks like sandpaper, been there, done that. I've used SOS pads on numerous chrome objects over the years without an issue. In a pinch I've even used "0000" steel wool with dish soap. Back in the day SOS used to advertise using their pads on chrome trim on cars.

Since I'm old enough to remember "back in the day" and back when I worked air-traffic control for pterodactyls, I do remember when SOS's ads did mention that one could use their pads on chrome trim for cars and bikes. We often used them on our bikes during our marathon days of fixing our bikes. So, I'll give one a try on this cover and see how it does.

So thanks for reminding me about the use of SOS pads!

Steve

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Have you ever gotten pix of the siren? I'd like to see what the grille came off of. I agree that it could be a WG or EG chromed model, but it's hard to tell the size from that picture. Could've come from a 66G, too.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip - Thanks for asking. I've basically been in bed with my back problem, so I've not been on here very much. However, it was your inquiry that told me I had to get my ass up and do something. So here you go:

ManualSiren1_zpsfdd2a95f.jpg

ManualSiren2_zps2ce66ff8.jpg

Siren3_zpsc0f0325a.jpg

As you can see, I haven't done anything with it yet. My wife is picking up some SOS pads and I'll try those on the front grill cap. I also have to borrow a couple of tools from my neighbor so that I can clean-up a few of the dings on the cover. This damn back injury is what's holding me up. I still have to decide on (and be able to afford) some sort of AC power converter/supply to power my assorted "members" of my relatively new and small collection.

Steve

DalmatProd

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
Skip - Thanks for asking. I've basically been in bed with my back problem, so I've not been on here very much. However, it was your inquiry that told me I had to get my ass up and do something. So here you go:

View attachment 59613

View attachment 59614

View attachment 59615

As you can see, I haven't done anything with it yet. My wife is picking up some SOS pads and I'll try those on the front grill cap. I also have to borrow a couple of tools from my neighbor so that I can clean-up a few of the dings on the cover. This damn back injury is what's holding me up. I still have to decide on (and be able to afford) some sort of AC power converter/supply to power my assorted "members" of my relatively new and small collection.

Steve

DalmatProd

Steve: That's definitely an E-W class siren. Without the bracket or rear housing it's hard to say for sure. The EGs, both chrome and painted, had a rounded rear housing. The WG had the chromed bullet-shaped rear housing. That should give you an idea on what you have. Hope you do o.k. with the back. I know the feeling. I was diagnosed with scoliosis in 1966 just after I turned 22. Kept me out of Viet Nam. Usually doesn't bother me unless I lift something the wrong way, and then that can throw it out of "whack" for a few days. The orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed the scoliosis told me back then that I'd be in a wheelchair by the age of 35.

Well, I'm now 68 and not there yet!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.