Cobra Brake Light Dimming

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I recently bought 6 cobra t6 dummy heads from Nic at FEVER. These lights are going to be mounted on my roof rack on my Xterra to essentially make a low profile cobra 600.

I want to tap into the 2 end lights to make them act as aux brake lights. But due to overheating and the blinding factor, I need these lights dimmer. They will not function as running lights just brake lights. Now I know I need a resistor to dim these, but what size?
I tried a 1w 100ohm but that only allowed half the light head to activate. But was the desired brightness a 1w 10ohm didn't do anything and got way to hot. What do you guys recommend. Want to steady burn at maybe 60-70% the standard brightness

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Mar 27, 2016
Houston Tx
A 37 ohm 1/2 watt resistor should work fine for the brake light, i used this size for the marker lights i did before i found out about trying the 75 ohm ones. Me personally i wouldn't dim down a aux brake light, you are trying to get their attention and its only going to be steady burning while your foot is on the brake.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
A 37 ohm 1/2 watt resistor should work fine for the brake light, i used this size for the marker lights i did before i found out about trying the 75 ohm ones. Me personally i wouldn't dim down a aux brake light, you are trying to get their attention and its only going to be steady burning while your foot is on the brake.

Only 1/2watt? The unit wouldn't fully light with a 1w. I was thinking a 3w 37 or 47 ohm

37ohm I think would be good dimming. I normally wouldn't dim but these get hot very quick and with the intense brightness of the lights they will be blinding to people. So for safety I think they can stand to be just a bit dimmer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.