Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It was on dim mode so it didn't blind the camera

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I feel like this is a LED bar designed in the 1990s. Roof mounted speakers, outside of the main-light-mounting area takedowns.... I would have rather seen some functionality and construction changes to their already large existing line.

The recent code 3 LED stuff looks plenty bright in person, so I'm not hopping on that bandwagon based on a video. I just have for and function concerns based on the videos.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I know all Corporations have their own vision when it comes to their product line and innovations, but is it just me that Code 3 is a step or 2 behind everyone else? Is their focus mainly on other aspects of public safety warning, such as Fire, EMS, etc.., but not really Law Enforcement application?

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Its disappointing that Code3 do not (may not) have a manufacturers rep on this forum. They used to have C3Kurt but he left C3 a year ago in December 12

He was always willing to listen to our feedback and engage with members.

I suspect if someone from the manufacturer had said on this forum "Primarily For Asian / East European markets etc etc) then we may have moderated our opinions.

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
HUH!!!!??? What did you say?????

That would be my response in person... Just to be a smart ass.

And FEVER you don't carry Federal for the same reason I don't ... Can't afford their requirements :p

Just poking fun don't get angry

Dan :)

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Jamey@NNE said:
They do but they do not post.

I wouldn't include them as being on this forum if they choose not to participate.

Marketing and promotion tactics have needed to substantially change in recent years given the significant broadening of the warning manufacturing industry.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA

The Solex is now available for sale. C3 posted this official vid several days ago.

It's definitely an acquired taste, but the Solex is an interesting bar. It's different than the products from Whelen and FedSig, and that's usually a good thing. I'm more curious about the Corona (dual-level version). What's the status of that bar?

Also, of interesting note, during the vid referenced above, is that the HG2 Crossfire being tested?

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Yeah... Now that I've seen the video.... I can say that is one stupid looking lightbar. :weird:

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Is there any reason why manufacturers other than FedSig can't produce non-linear lightbars? I've heard remarks in the past suggesting that FedSig has an exclusive patent on V-shaped lightbars. I'm not a fan of Rontan, but they have two bars (WingLux and Spyder) that are quite similar to FedSig V-bars. The Solex appears to be an attempt to deviate from the traditional linear chassis. The Code 360 and XF2300 were other attempts, both with limited success.

I'm curious to learn about the R&D invested in the Solex. Obviously, somebody thought this is going to be successful.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Kevin K. said:

Sure looked like it!

I don't understand patent law, but point 7 here mentions that the v shape is part of the patent application.

https://www.google.com/patents/EP0483511A2?dq=inassignee:%22Federal+Signal+Corporation%22&ei=OYfNUpOgBtHooATdh4II&cl=en

"A light bar as set forth in claim 6 wherein the non-linear pattern is approximately V-shaped."

I don't know if it was approved or not. So many of the US companies have patents on the same things. I wonder if they all pay each other royalties?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The narration in the video made frequent reference to European and international customers (I think I want to learn more about the European requirements on curved external parts, I suspect it has to do with pedestrian collisions). Code 3 seemsto have put a lot of effort into designing a world wide use bar, which I think is great. As we know, overhead speakers are frowned upon here in the US, but still commonly used elsewhere, while we use light preemption, ALRP, and general recording cameras. So the center bulge, or pod, or whatever we end up calling it, being capable of taking different items, without loosing full warning power, is good thinking. For the rear, an amber traffic arrow is still the most effective, but many LEO's do not like to use them because it takes away from the emergency color (when Dallas PD started running the MX7000, some officers would refuse to use the arrow because they felt it drowned out the r/b, it took a re write of procedure to make it more commonly used). The center boil, or camel hump, or whatever we end up calling it, allows for emergency colors above the amber arrow which I think is a very smart idea. I still want to see the other new bar C3 has, but I think this Solex will do alright. I think more and more agencies are wanting to go back to high profile visibility and easy identification, something the low profile bars can not offer, and with the Explorer, Tahoe, and even Durango seeing heavy LE use, we will start seeing a return to high profile bars.

That being said, the Solex is one ugly lightbar!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.