code 3 vcon

charcoal

May 7, 2013
Canada
Looking for some help. Vcon siren keeps blowing fuses. Wiring is ok. As soon as a new fuse is placed on the unit POOF! Tried test leads to bench wire and it almost welds them before blowing fuse! Any ideas??

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
charcoal said:
Looking for some help. Vcon siren keeps blowing fuses. Wiring is ok. As soon as a new fuse is placed on the unit POOF! Tried test leads to bench wire and it almost welds them before blowing fuse! Any ideas??

http://elightbars.org/forums/attachments/f18/41727d1349218014-manual-thread-installation-manuals-repair-manuals-etc-3600_series_v-con_siren_t01466_rev_6.pdf on Vcon

Open it up and make sure there is nothing going to ground.

Check the wires in the back for the same.

is it new or used?

New send it back to Code 3.

codemaster

Jun 23, 2012
mississippi
charcoal said:

What kind of fuse you have in there Iis it inline or is it in the siren.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
One more thing.Does the fuse blow when you hook up the speaker or when you turn it on without the speaker hooked up?

charcoal

May 7, 2013
Canada
chief1565 said:
One more thing.Does the fuse blow when you hook up the speaker or when you turn it on without the speaker hooked up?
speaker wires are disconnected, blows fuse on circuit board inside unit. Looked inside nothing obvious going to ground.

new paper weight?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
V-Cons have a protection diode that pops the fuse if the power polarity is reversed. Assuming your + and - are correct (right??), it's possible the diode is shorted.

If you're feeling brave (and paperweight is the alternative), you could remove the diode as a test.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I had one that did the same thing & it was only a few months old. I did what you really shouldn't do and just put a bigger fuse in it and it stopped that.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
the pdf should help you to locate said diode.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
codemaster said:
I agree put in a bigger fuse . Or on your power wire add a in line fuse I did it to my fed signal smart siren and it worked

Mmm lets see I keep blowing fuses because I overload it.I know I'll just put in a larger fuse and it will be alright.

I see smoke and flames in the future of this deal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.