Code 3 Z3 Smoking

Layne6288

Registered Member
Original poster
May 5, 2021
Ohio
I got this old z3 amp, but never thought i was able to use it because i didn’t have the right controller for it. I have a matrix controller, but the amplifier is for non matrix. I attempted to hook it up to power and test it out to make sure it didn’t work or would work. I hooked it up to the battery. I put the grounds on the battery, then the positives. When i put the positives on the battery it sparked a lot, it has never done this before so i didn’t know what had just happened. Soon enough i see smoke coming through the ports on the amplifier. Here’s a video. It left a burn mark on my battery port.
not sure why this happened but it did.

CD3

Veteran Member
May 25, 2010
USA, CA
Also, what wires did you put to 12v+, there are only 3 Red wires that are set for 12v+. And yes it is now a paperweight as tsquale said earlier.

Reactions: tsquale and Tony P

Layne6288

Registered Member
Original poster
May 5, 2021
Ohio
Also, what wires did you put to 12v+, there are only 3 Red wires that are set for 12v+. And yes it is now a paperweight as tsquale said earlier.

I did all of the 12v+ wires and the ignition wire since that has to have power for it to run.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polar_Bear_Charger_17

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by Sectigo SSL with high-strength encryption.