code3 LP6000 stingray

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
hey guys!

i have a questions,if i want to make a stingray rotator for LP and XL lightbar do i need just code3 stingray flasher modul and just wire it one regular LP6000 rotator motor

or i need some other stuff on rotator motor too to make it work and what lamp holder was fixed in XL lightbar for CAL steady red for PAR46 or PAR36 and which model of PAR? watts?

any help will be usefull.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
The stingray rotators are not standard rotators. They have small pieces of metal implanted in the front and rear of the reflector parts to signal the box when to switch directions.

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
so the motor and reflector are different or just the reflector?

rwo978 said:
The stingray rotators are not standard rotators. They have small pieces of metal implanted in the front and rear of the reflector parts to signal the box when to switch directions.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
IIRC (been about 15 years since I played with a stingray, mainly because they were finicky), both. The rotator/reflector has the embedded metal, and I believe the motor has extra wires, along with a metal sensor part to detect those metal pieces.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The way stingrays work is with a brain unit as stated. A set of two "y" shaped contacts make connection with two studs on the bottom of the reflector gear. These trip the brain unit to reverse the motor. These had front osciallate, rear oscillate and full rotate. These units often failed since they were actually using a moving contact to reverse a motor over and over. You will need:

Specific rotator (looks like LP6000 but has 2 small metal spots on the gear)

Brain unit (looks like a 710 flasher)

Wiring/contacts (look like paperclips bent into a "Y")

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
huh thanks alot John,got even more info. :)

so i need now just to find a good set for good price,i can't do nothing alone with basic LP rotator. :)

Stingray were something ha....... :)

JohnMarcson said:
The way stingrays work is with a brain unit as stated. A set of two "y" shaped contacts make connection with two studs on the bottom of the reflector gear. These trip the brain unit to reverse the motor. These had front osciallate, rear oscillate and full rotate. These units often failed since they were actually using a moving contact to reverse a motor over and over. You will need:

Specific rotator (looks like LP6000 but has 2 small metal spots on the gear)

Brain unit (looks like a 710 flasher)

Wiring/contacts (look like paperclips bent into a "Y")

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
denko3 said:
huh thanks alot John,got even more info. :)
so i need now just to find a good set for good price,i can't do nothing alone with basic LP rotator. :)

Stingray were something ha....... :)

And they are not cheap new..that is if you can even get them.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
denko3 said:
hehe cool. :)

let me now but would need a rotators for it too. must be smart rotators. :)

Try to get the stingray I, that is the control box that is clear and you can see into. That way you can replace the output transistors when they go belly up(I have found that they are the prime suspect when the modules go bad). The Stingray II is encased in appoxy(sp) and you cannot access the electronics.

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
will try but it depend what i will get model 1 or 2. :)

good tip or idea,thanks.

jdh said:
Try to get the stingray I, that is the control box that is clear and you can see into. That way you can replace the output transistors when they go belly up(I have found that they are the prime suspect when the modules go bad). The Stingray II is encased in appoxy(sp) and you cannot access the electronics.

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
whay fast to the front and slow to the rear?????

guys what about CAL red steady burns for XL lightbar? someone?

dmathieu said:
Another neat thing about the StingRay was that the reflector oscillated fast to the front, and slow to the rear.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
dmathieu said:
Fast for pursuit, and slow for rear warning.
Cal steady burn was a stationary reflector only.

CAL LP6000 usually were set up as follows, drivers (solid red dome w/amber cutout for flasher) to pass front (solid blue dome), rotator, stingray, steady burn, speaker, steady burn, stingray, rotator. I do not know what the all-lights had in the center, if they ever used them. I think they went to MX's after that.

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
what about XL lightbar?

jdh said:
CAL LP6000 usually were set up as follows, drivers (solid red dome w/amber cutout for flasher) to pass front (solid blue dome), rotator, stingray, steady burn, speaker, steady burn, stingray, rotator. I do not know what the all-lights had in the center, if they ever used them. I think they went to MX's after that.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
denko3 said:
what about XL lightbar?

The last time I saw a CAL spec XL was in the original movie "The Towering Inferno". The chief's vehicle had one on it. Guess how long ago that movie came out.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
a long time ago I had several stingrays modules that had issues, they were all dead on rotate, or rear sweep, so I took 4 of them and mounted them back to back like the flashers are in a lp6000, I then wired them so they ONLY did the fast sweep (front setting, even though 2 pointed to the rear) that made a bright light show with 5 rotators and the 4 stingrays , it was an all warning bar, no takedowns or alleys

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
you see how it is if you woke them up the stingray modul from the dead and you give them a new life.great job! :)

would really like to saw the lightbar with 5 rotators and 4 stingrays.it was probably very bright bar.

Shawn L said:
a long time ago I had several stingrays modules that had issues, they were all dead on rotate, or rear sweep, so I took 4 of them and mounted them back to back like the flashers are in a lp6000, I then wired them so they ONLY did the fast sweep (front setting, even though 2 pointed to the rear) that made a bright light show with 5 rotators and the 4 stingrays , it was an all warning bar, no takedowns or alleys

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
denko3 said:
did they have in 1974 back then the model XL lightbar CAL jet???
wasn't that too early for XL? :)

Ya I'm sure it was the sealed beam version with the 6" steady burn. If you look at the scene in the movie when "all hell broke loose" and the FD went hot to the building, the chief pulled up and they had a really good shot of the bar.

Danko3, is "model XL lightbar CAL jet" a mis print. No the Fed Sig jet was not around in 74, but the C3 XL was. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
will check the movie. :)

jdh said:
Ya I'm sure it was the sealed beam version with the 6" steady burn. If you look at the scene in the movie when "all hell broke loose" and the FD went hot to the building, the chief pulled up and they had a really good shot of the bar.

Danko3, is "model XL lightbar CAL jet" a mis print. No the Fed Sig jet was not around in 74, but the C3 XL was. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Code3 XL was introduced in 1979.

The Federal Signal Jetsonic was introduced in 1983.

Neither could have been seen in The Towering Inferno as that movie was made in 1974.

Last edited by a moderator:

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
JDH i see the movie and i really didn't see nothing at all about XL bar??????

just a huge lot of beacom ray,power lights,....

jdh said:

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
i aggre with stansdds that the year is too early for XL bars.

stansdds said:
The Code3 XL was introduced in 1979.

The Federal Signal Jetsonic was introduced in 1983.

Neither could have been seen in The Towering Inferno as that movie was made in 1974.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
jdh said:
The last time I saw a CAL spec XL was in the original movie "The Towering Inferno". The chief's vehicle had one on it. Guess how long ago that movie came out.

That car had a beacon and two stationary steady burn lights on the roof.

Go to 43:25 in the movie below.

tfcc.JPG

ftcc2.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.