Code3 sd math

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Just got a new to me c/3 sd lightbar for a vintage restoration, it's set up with triple 30 watt par 36 in each fixture,that's 12 bulbs in a 55 inch frame I've never seen that combo before looks to be all factory as all 3 light frames are riveted to the carousel my question is the amp draw I'm coming up with just over 30 amps. Sound rite ? If so sounds like an alternator step up. Even police grade for the 70s was only 90 total. Perhaps dual battery...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
12 bulbs at 30w each on 12v is 30 amps (2.5A each bulb). Add the draw of the motor(s) on top of that. And yes, remember they put these bars on those cars along with mechanical sirens, high beam flashers, radios, and possibly other flashers.

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
code 3 did make a triple lamp holder. i recalled seeing them on the outboard rotators of an XL9000 that a member posted a while back. if i remember correctly they were used on a select-a-lert version with one of the bulbs being able to be used as an alley light. i noticed that the lamp holders are just pop riveted onto the rotator base, which gave me the idea to make a couple triple bulb holder rotators for a mini SD, which helped increased the flash rate. i was able to get the right size pop rivet to make it look just like factory.
Mini SD 010.JPG
Mini SD 023.JPG

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Dam.. just when you think ya got a rare one .O well atleast this has a clear Window cut in each dome for a little red amber mix. Yet no select/alert can't catch a break on one. Pics when I can By the way that mini is sweet

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Dam.. just when you think ya got a rare one .O well atleast this has a clear Window cut in each dome for a little red amber mix. Yet no select/alert can't catch a break on one. Pics when I can By the way that mini is sweet

It may still be rare, never seen one with that many in it.

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
i never seen a full bar with all triple lamp holders either. it has to put on a very nice light show. with the existence of a triple lamp holder i was surprised that code 3 didn't offer an option of putting at least 2 of them in a regular full size bar.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Can't wait to tear into in it. I have back to back doubles, pay back for Christmas off. Hopefully by the weekend get some pics and dust her off

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
This would be a rare version, but PSE Code 3 would custom build just about anything a customer with money wanted. As for this one, all I see is a text, no pictures, so...
ai17_photobucket_com_albums_b81_stansdds_Smilies_worthless_gif_original_.gif

Reactions: Tony P

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
As for the other equipment on this resto to get the amp math right it has 4 par 46 flashers 2 on rear deck 2 in the inner head light bucket ,fireball on the dash and a pa 20. High rpm's should be fine it's the slow speed parade or car show idle that gets me nervous. Looking into pumping up the alt there are some nice kits for older mopars out there one even claimed 200 amps. Better park next to a vintage pumper just to be safe....

Last edited:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
The old NYC EMS ambulances (pre-FDNY) had the XL version of the Triple Threat with sealed beams, as I recall some of the rotators had offset bulbs, as if it was a 3 bulb rotator missing a bulb, this gave a 2 flash sequence & then a pause. The bars had a total of 10 sealed beams & 5 motors. When you added in the other lights including a 4 sealed beam minibar on the back and all the red box lights, at idle all of the lights were dim and rotated reeeeeeally sloooooowly. Later they bought a batch of GMC Jimmys and switched to Force 4 XL bars with open reflectors, those were much brighter and used maybe 1/2 the current.
ai1135.photobucket.com_albums_m638_mercurygrandmarquis1_Willy_0e6ee827c4230c8053f52d37800e795e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Did they use any special dome configuration on that xl. I would assume clear end caps and maybe cutouts over the select alert. Looks super clean too

drb

May 23, 2010
Southern California
ai197.photobucket.com_albums_aa292_562doug_100_5282.jpgai197.photobucket.com_albums_aa292_562doug_100_5281.jpgai197.photobucket.com_albums_aa292_562doug_100_5280.jpg
Correct, clear end caps and amber 1/2 width panels on the rear inboards. The red dome is incorrect and is actually a Force 4 XL dome with an amber 1/3 width panel for a stationary flasher.

Reactions: ff168577

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Simply beautiful.. it's like code3 knew the domes with cutouts were going to be valuable 20-30 years in the future. So lets only make a few to drive people like us, well atlest myslef nuts. Doesn't help that there weren't any agencies really using any local to me.

Jared Lamkin

Feb 19, 2016
Alabama
Any of you guys know where I can get a few belt motors for these? Like the XL 9000? Got three Toyne pumpers still running these and need a replacement and maybe a few spares. ANy help would be great!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.