7248_542991292403113_417990327_n.jpg

273029_542990715736504_1273623531_o.jpg

943585_542990595736516_845344980_n.jpg

1011153_542990855736490_2075893593_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

osufire90

Jun 18, 2012
Ohio
I have been meaning to start a thread about these...but I havent been able to get pictures of them yet. They look pretty awesome lit up on the side of the highway, and I am pretty sure that they bars are duos.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
dustymedic said:
54178d1371329121-columbus-police-pi-suv-freeway-patrol-1011153_542990855736490_2075893593_n.jpg
Is it just me or would this seem more like a law enforcement vehicle if it said "POLICE" or "HIGHWAY PATROL" on the back instead of leaving possible confusion to non-locals that it might be a courtesy vehicle?

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
jph2 said:
Is it just me or would this seem more like a law enforcement vehicle if it said "POLICE" or "HIGHWAY PATROL" on the back instead of leaving possible confusion to non-locals that it might be a courtesy vehicle?

Red & blue lights. There'd be no doubt this is a police car. And even if there were confusion how long would it last? I remember seeing some old pics of Dallas Police cars with "Freeway Patrol" markings as well.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
LRGJr72 said:
Red & blue lights. There'd be no doubt this is a police car. And even if there were confusion how long would it last? I remember seeing some old pics of Dallas Police cars with "Freeway Patrol" markings as well.

Unless your in texas, where everyone and their mom can run red and blues.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
jph2 said:

I think it should say "POLICE" somewhere on the back, or have the CPD badge at least. Only the Highway Patrol can use the words "HIGHWAY PATROL" in Ohio.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
So what if it only says "Freeway Patrol" maybe people will think it's only a courtesy vehicle and speed past it and then all of a sudden there are red/blue lights in your mirror. And I'm sure when it's on a stop the lights will be flashing as well.....

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
LRGJr72 said:

Your dating yourself...the DPD Freeway Patrol cars were in the late 60's.

AS far as the rear of the car not having POLICE or other identifiers, what does it matter? It is up to the motorist to know if they should obey the law around specific vehicles.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
HILO said:
AS far as the rear of the car not having POLICE or other identifiers, what does it matter? It is up to the motorist to know if they should obey the law around specific vehicles.
IMO it should be dead obvious whether a vehicle is a police vehicle or not. If there's a word prominently visible on the side, but it's not "police" and doesn't otherwise indicate what the vehicle is (i.e. the name of the jurisdiction), there's a possibility of confusion. "Freeway patrol" doesn't clear it up much, as I'd expect that's a pretty seldom-used term that I wouldn't immediately associate with real police - more likely I personally would associate it with some wannabe rent-a-cop company from Texas. Even if nobody who sees the car is actually confused, the possibility is there, which is not at all good.

Vehicle graphics serve two primary purposes: to increase visibility of the vehicle, and to identify it. With respect to identification, when a person gets a glimpse of a police vehicle with good graphics out of the corner of his eye, his first thought should be "cop" - he shouldn't have to look for any identifying marks, they should be obvious. It's totally normal for police vehicles to have only the badge emblem on the door. Again, the glimpse in the corner of his eye - white car blue stripe badge, that's a cop - but if there's gonna be any wordage printed there, the most easily-visible word has to be the service provided, i.e. police.

And theoretically, people's behavior shouldn't change at all around police vehicles unless their warning lights are on. But we all know that's not the way it actually works.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
HILO said:
Your dating yourself...the DPD Freeway Patrol cars were in the late 60's.

Hey, I wasn't even born until 1972. But now I AM dated. As for the Columbus OH unit in these pics... I'm more at issue with the word "police" hardly being noticeable on ANY of the sides of this vehicle, much less the rear. But the local-yocal familiarity factor plays pretty significantly. Most people know exactly what the police look like where they live.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
LRGJr72 said:
I'm more at issue with the word "police" hardly being noticeable on ANY of the sides of this vehicle, much less the rear.

Freeway Patrol cruisers dont have "POLICE" on them, save for the badge on the doors.

I really cant believe those stupid "ColumbUS" decals are now on police vehicles. Good grief.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
All this talk about markings and no one mentions that they ball mounted it! That said, the antenna looks goofy where it is, probably only place they could mount it.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
I've lived in the Columbus area since 1990-ish. CPD has used 'FREEWAY PATROL' on it's cruisers as long as I can remember. I don't think it causes any confusion.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
mjw357 said:
I've lived in the Columbus area since 1990-ish. CPD has used 'FREEWAY PATROL' on it's cruisers as long as I can remember. I don't think it causes any confusion.

It wouldn't, to you. The point of the argu... er, discussion was that it doesn't sound like LE to those of us from elsewhere. Then again, most people won't see the back or side if they are getting pulled over, so it's a mute point. Personally, if someone has new vehicle with a push bumper, red and blue lights bar (esp a name brand design like Whelen), and a uniformed driver, I'm going to stop. If there is any doubt in my mind, I'd call 911, ID my self as an off duty LEO, and explain that I'm getting stopped by an unmarked or possible impersonator and something doesn't feel right about it.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
The graphics are hideous, other than that it looks decent. I like the colored lenses on the Liberty.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Hoser said:
Security would have normal Ohio PC plates

That varies. If its private security using a private car, then yes it is a standard plate. I have worked accounts where I had county plates (county entity owned cruiser).

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
irsa76 said:
All this talk about markings and no one mentions that they ball mounted it! That said, the antenna looks goofy where it is, probably only place they could mount it.
I have seen a couple new Massachusetts State Police Interceptor Utilities with a ball mount on the side, but at least it's actually a steel whip and not some stupid black thing, lol. I don't think those whips are really necessary these days, especially in places like cities like Columbus, lol, even if it's for CB then just get a cheapo one and put it on the roof or hood mount it.

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
From the other side of the pond with some words of advice.

1: gold lettering on a white background???? You need high contrast to make it as legible as possible.

2: we always equip the rear of our vehicles with high visibility/reflective chevrons to improve daytime and nightime conspicuity

3: warning and safety colour schemes are about safety not tricking out a vehicle to look good. :bonk:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Snibsey said:
From the other side of the pond with some words of advice.

1: gold lettering on a white background???? You need high contrast to make it as legible as possible.

2: we always equip the rear of our vehicles with high visibility/reflective chevrons to improve daytime and nightime conspicuity

3: warning and safety colour schemes are about safety not tricking out a vehicle to look good. :bonk:
Chevrons are only required on fire and ems vehicles.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lafd55 said:
Chevrons are only required on fire and ems vehicles.
And by "required" they mean it's recommended by an agency that makes recommendations, not requirements.

...I think? At least I'm 77% sure that the NFPA doesn't have force of law nationwide, 'cause that'd be all un-American and STATES RIGHTS stuff.

Merica.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.