Command light

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Ok so Dan at Slicktop solutions reminded me to post this

A little back story here at NASA protective services is in charge of setting up incident command for any incident on center ( fire,ems,law enforcement,hazmat) our supervisor vehicle a 2010 Chevy suburban used to have a galls green minbar on the back roof. The only problem was when you open the back door to run command you would block the light. I originally came up with this idea for a low profile Whelen led beacon but as my company doesn't like to spend a lot of money this is what we ended up with. It does work great and if I get a chance I will get a video.

image-3645956669.jpg

image-3509846923.jpg

image-3870592242.jpg

We have come to call this our green pimple

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Without the tailgate open, though, someone might think the installer was smoking crack.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Yeah I get what your saying but it works great the only complaint I have received was that it looked like a pimple that's where the name came from. Dan actually had asked me one day if I had seen this truck with a green light on the back door and I pointed behind our building and said you mean that one. So it is getting the attention of outside people lol

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Definitely different. I agree it would look better with the low profile Whelen LED but you have to use what you have available to you. It looks good, might hurt like hell if you come around the rear of the truck too quick...

Dennis

resQyou

Retaks

Aug 5, 2012
SE PA
We have a similar light on ours but it is left inside the Tahoe until we need it. Then it is put on the hatch.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
We do that with a back up in case this one is out of service or there is 2 calls but they always scratch the paint when they slide it on and off so I mounted it

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Way to think outside the box!!! Love the idea, and yes, would definitely be a head scratching moment for some people who would see that with the hatch down.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
I gotta say, when I first saw it running down the road, I thought WTH. But the more I looked at it, the more I liked the idea. Given that fact that Rich's employer is a cheap company, he has done some good things with what he has been given.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
mdlighting said:
We do that with a back up in case this one is out of service or there is 2 calls but they always scratch the paint when they slide it on and off so I mounted it

Sorry but that is funny, you're worried about the throw lights scratching the paint so you drilled the liftgate to mount it. Kudos for thinking outside the box, and it IS a good idea, but when you say that I'm like huh? BTW, the local autoclub used to mount minibars on the liftgates of their battery breakdown vans, looked weird, worked well.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
mdlighting said:
Ok so Dan at Slicktop solutions reminded me to post this

A little back story here at NASA protective services is in charge of setting up incident command for any incident on center ( fire,ems,law enforcement,hazmat) our supervisor vehicle a 2010 Chevy suburban used to have a galls green minbar on the back roof. The only problem was when you open the back door to run command you would block the light. I originally came up with this idea for a low profile Whelen led beacon but as my company doesn't like to spend a lot of money this is what we ended up with. It does work great and if I get a chance I will get a video.

View attachment 45164

View attachment 45165

View attachment 45166

We have come to call this our green pimple

More like a green nipple! lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.