Compressed Air Foam?

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Any of y' all using Cafs? How much upkeep on the system is there? I have watched videos on Youtube but none of the show an attack on a fully involved structure any experience or thoughts?

Thanks

Donslock

Dec 18, 2010
USA, South Dakota
The area depts have about 22 total units, 1 per dept. They do use them for structure fires but only on mop-up operations after the flames have been knocked down. They do make excellent brush trucks because they are usually mounted on 4x4 Chassis. I do think they would make an excellent structure engine as well in rural areas where most rigs won't fit.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Marc M said:
Any of y' all using Cafs? How much upkeep on the system is there? I have watched videos on Youtube but none of the show an attack on a fully involved structure any experience or thoughts?

Thanks

For the most part using CAFS on a fully involved structure is a huge waste of money. You arent saving anything at that point. The only exception might be depending on exposure or type of product in the structure. IMHO a CAFS system can be useful however it is often wasted or misused.

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
ch31391 said:
For the most part using CAFS on a fully involved structure is a huge waste of money. You arent saving anything at that point. The only exception might be depending on exposure or type of product in the structure. IMHO a CAFS system can be useful however it is often wasted or misused.[/

Good point. We are very rural and often times are very understaffed. Thus it's hard to get a water shuttle up and running. Trying to figure out how to get more done with less.

Retaks

Aug 5, 2012
SE PA
We have one company in our township that has it and it is very rarely used. And the next township over(approx 2 miles from my station) we have access to a 6500 gallon foam trailer. Water has been getting the job done for years and were gonna keep using water. CAF is good for some things but for basic structure or vehicle fires ill stick with water.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I am a BIG proponent of CAFS, especially for departments that are rural, or limited manpower. While it is true that a FULLY involved fire CAFS may not be as effective, but it has great ability to assist with many types of fires, and knock them down with a strongest punch than just water, giving limited manpower a hand-up.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
my FD has begun using foam on structure related fires after the fire has been knocked down to dampen hot spots after we had several rekindles happen hours later, figured we have so much extra that is due to expire that it might as well be used, same for car fires. better to douse it down and know its out for sure.

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
I work for a combination paid/volly dept that uses cafs on everything. I personally love it. Most folks dont like it because yes, the initial equipment is expensive (it was >$50,000 to retrofit our engine), but IMHO, the advantages are immense. Studies show it works BETTER than water in most situations, which leads to quicker knock-downs. As a front line interior FF, I love it because I can man a 2.5" line by myself. The back pressure is greatly reduced, making it much easier to handle lines, so FF's don't get fatigued as quickly. Kinks in lines are no longer an issue, the bubbles go right past it. You use much less water to put out the same amount of fire. case in point, chief was pissed one night when the CAFS system wouldn't work on a car fire, so we had to dump about 800gal on this truck. If we used cafs it would have used about 50gal, no joke.

If anyone wants the data i mentioned, I'm sure I can get it from my chief, PM me.

Theres a pic floating around somewhere if a single FF holding and LDH line with a nozzle on it.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
I personally do not like it. I have pumped it and operated it. I see advantages on certain fires such as automobiles, hay bails, brush, mop up operations. As an initial attack, I do not like. It does not allow to cool the room. It does not allow you to perform hydraulic ventilation. Pumping it makes for yet another thing to be properly cleaned out toughly. You need to flush your lines, and the discharges to prevent it from gunking up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.