Concept Chevy Silverado Volunteer FF Edition

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Now just aim the pricing SUPER low for the volunteers who aren't rich, i.e. most of us!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Now just aim the pricing SUPER low for the volunteers who aren't rich, i.e. most of us!!!!!!!!!!!

What's that supposed to mean? TB's a volley and he already owns 10 of em..........

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Great idea, horrible implementation - starting with the choice of truck. Put it on a Ford Super Duty and you might have something.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Phoenix_Rising said:
What's that supposed to mean? TB's a volley and he already owns 10 of em..........

:whistle:

I actually like the whole truck... Aside from the yellow on the wheels... I'd take one...

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Years ago, GM actually offered for sale a H2 VFF package, with lights and siren.

Both the vehicles are concept/show cars. Chevrolet has a long history of putting special cars and trucks into the Texas State Fair. When I worked for them, we put a Tahoe SS concept, Texas Flag Suburban, and Police Package concept in the 1996 State Fair. It is cool that they are giving profile to VFF's and rescue teams with these concepts, but they will remain concepts. I will take more detailed pictures when I go.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
To be clear, this is the VFF version:

2013-Chevrolet-Silverado-Z71-Volunteer-Firefighter-SEMA-concept-truck-right-side-796x528.jpg

As a visually appealing show truck, I like it, and I've always appreciated that GM offers fire red (aka "Victory Red") as a standard color. The equipment and mounting locations were clearly chosen for for show, not practical use.

Now, about that "Black Ops" truck... wtf is that supposed to be?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
MtnMan said:
To be clear, this is the VFF version:

View attachment 60779

As a visually appealing show truck, I like it, and I've always appreciated that GM offers fire red (aka "Victory Red") as a standard color. The equipment and mounting locations were clearly chosen for for show, not practical use.

Now, about that "Black Ops" truck... wtf is that supposed to be?

Needs more blinkies. Lots of them.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
MtnMan said:
Ehhh. Too many phony details for me: fake roll bar, pretend bolt-on fender flares, pseudo splatter graphics, and that "NO STEP" nonsense. I'll take the tires, though.

I actually love the racer-back style bed accessory... It was designed to accept that LED bar so it works great. Although any roof-mounted lightbar would block it.

Pretend fender flares...? Uhm, ALL fender flares are bolt/screw on...? What makes these "pretend"...? Cause they're not 4 Inches wide...?

And I never look at any type of factory graphics, cause I usually take them off anyway...

The only I'd like to see on it is a heavy duty front bumper/grill guard for that winch...

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
tvsjr said:
Great idea, horrible implementation - starting with the choice of truck. Put it on a Ford Super Duty and you might have something.

Volunteers actually want to GET to the scene and station without having to worry about the thing breaking down all the time, hence why the smart ones drive GMC and Chevy trucks and not Ford or Dodge or Nissan or Crapota :p

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
tvsjr said:

Ford and Matchbox already did that.

The only way any manufacture can make a Vollie ready truck they can afford is to take old trucks off the road (i.e. a 96 Silverado) and put a package on it. Otherwise they will always just be concepts, to get innovative ideas out there. They just attract attention and show that they aim to 'give the people what they want'.

I like both of them. Of course I would change some of the stuff up, leaving a vehicle as the factory made it is no fun!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice concept, but a little overdone IMO...I'm proud to be a firefighter, but I don't think I need to have it written in huge letters on both sides of my vehicle...the pain scheme is cool, however. Also, you'll never see multiple dual pioneers, a Scott Pack, or irons on my POV. I honestly see something like this as being the fire dept equivalent to a ford PI "ready for the road" package; this looks like a good start for a "ready for the road" BASIC dept utility truck or BASIC officer's vehicle (but obviously not the solution for a command unit because there would be way too many options & different specs for specific equipment, such as slide out trays, toppers, boards, etc)

The thing I like about the black ops version is that it does not stand out as much as the volunteer FF edition. Honestly, as I'm sure we all do, I drive extra cautiously when I'm in a marked dept vehicle (who wants bad dept publicity?), but I can picture a handful of idiot or poser vollies buying the FF silverado, driving like douchebags, & making the rest of us look bad.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
TritonBoulder47 said:
I actually love the racer-back style bed accessory... It was designed to accept that LED bar so it works great. Although any roof-mounted lightbar would block it.

Pretend fender flares...? Uhm, ALL fender flares are bolt/screw on...? What makes these "pretend"...? Cause they're not 4 Inches wide...?

The flares are real, the molded-in "bolts" are not.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Another thing to point out is that there are brackets in this concept for a lot of expensive tools, including a Scott pack. I know it's only a concept, but I certainly wouldn't park my open-bed VFF silverado truck anywhere in public, knowing that someone else can pull up to my truck in a parking lot & walk off with several thousand dollars in equipment in a matter of seconds. And all that equipment is a waste to have when you can have a single VFF show up at a scene, only to have to wait for at least 3 other guys to show up, one of which would have to bring a piece of apparatus (engine) with all those tools onboard. I just can't help but imagine some idiot tool way out of his department's district seeing a fire, pulling up to it & donning gear, running in without thinking, getting trapped, & trying to call a mayday, only to realize that there is nobody outside as RIT, nobody taking PAR, & no attack lines. 99% of vollie FF's are good people and provide an important service, but there's always that 1% that does stupid $hit & creates a bad name for the rest

RyanZ71 said:
Volunteers actually want to GET to the scene and station without having to worry about the thing breaking down all the time, hence why the smart ones drive GMC and Chevy trucks and not Ford or Dodge or Nissan or Crapota :p

Dude, that just sounds stupid. GM isn't the only reliable manufacturer of vehicles, and "crapota" happens to make some of the best & longest lasting cars; that's why you see so many of them in virtually every country & that's why you see people driving 20 year old Toyotas without a problem...For example, in the current KBB top resale value "top 10" list, 4 of the top 6 were Toyota & none of the top 10 was a GM. Of the top rated full-size pickups for this year, ford & dodge were the top 2 & the tundra was 5th; for the smaller pickup category, it was all Toyota/Honda/Nissan trucks, & GM lines weren't even listed. For the overall US News "best cars for the money" award, only 1 was a Chevy, 0 were GMC, and 14 of them were brands that you indicated are junk like "crapota" & ford. The F-150 is the top selling pickup for I don't know how long, and the Camry has dominated the sedan category for way over a decade as well. A car breaking down is also partially the responsibility of the owner failing to maintain it, regardless of manufacturer.

I drive Chevrolet and love their trucks, but your comment is stupid, ignorant, and completely lacks anything factual.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Oh pipe down, it's just a little harmless rivalry fun.

pdk9 said:
Dude, that just sounds stupid. GM isn't the only reliable manufacturer of vehicles, and "crapota" happens to make some of the best & longest lasting cars; that's why you see so many of them in virtually every country & that's why you see people driving 20 year old Toyotas without a problem...For example, in the current KBB top resale value "top 10" list, 4 of the top 6 were Toyota & none of the top 10 was a GM. Of the top rated full-size pickups for this year, ford & dodge were the top 2 & the tundra was 5th; for the smaller pickup category, it was all Toyota/Honda/Nissan trucks, & GM lines weren't even listed. For the overall US News "best cars for the money" award, only 1 was a Chevy, 0 were GMC, and 14 of them were brands that you indicated are junk like "crapota" & ford. The F-150 is the top selling pickup for I don't know how long, and the Camry has dominated the sedan category for way over a decade as well. A car breaking down is also partially the responsibility of the owner failing to maintain it, regardless of manufacturer.

I drive Chevrolet and love their trucks, but your comment is stupid, ignorant, and completely lacks anything factual.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
pdk9 said:

He's not lying. I remember a beat up toyota hilux on the flight line at BAF that just wouldn't die. It was the vehicle we used to teach people stick when I was there. The hilux dominates the Asian/Middle East market for trucks. There are tons of beat up cars and trucks from those "inferior" companies that are pushing 20 years with no signs of stopping.

To the original post: I like certain aspects of the VFF truck. The two tone paint looks pretty cool and some of the add-ons like the spotlight could be useful without screaming "hey come take the expensive stuff in/on my truck". Like others have posted, tone it down just a tad and offer a robust wiring harness from the factory and they might actually sell a crap ton if it goes to market. Heck keep most of the basic features and it could make a nice factory SSV. I would stab someone to have that as my K9 truck on base instead of the crap they are offering up (tiny Escape, Liberty, Equinox, etc)

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Hoff said:
I would stab someone to have that as my K9 truck on base instead of the crap they are offering up (tiny Escape, Liberty, Equinox, etc)

Don't we have enough crazies hurting and killing people on bases as it is? :nono:

Besides, YOU need a black 82 trans am on base. Just sayin'. :D

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Because of the flashy paint l, tools and gear I have to say this would be more suited for the department itself not an individual.

Although I have seen a few people around my town (not in my town) put huge stickers saying "<blank fire department> firefighter #20" and other crazy stuff like that. But as a utility or start of a command truck it would be nice.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I really appreciate Chevy highlighting the cause of the volunteer firefighter. However, like everyone else, there is no way in hell any self-respecting VFF would drive one of those. What about going to your 9-to-5 job? Would anyone really want to leave that in a parking lot all day? You would look ridiculous anytime except when you were running a call.

Besides, VFFs are a picky bunch. Everyone likes their POVs set up differently. Some like to have as much equipment as a heavy rescue, others just carry a pager. A lot of places don't even allow you to respond to the scene.

Practically speaking if a manufacturer wanted to offer a "first responder" package all it would need on top of your standard 1/2 ton package is:

-high output alternator

-trans cooler

-auxiliary power distribution box somewhere in the cab with pre-installed relays for hot-at-all-times, hot with ignition, park-kill, hot-in-reverse, and horn ring

-wire pass-throughs in front of cab, back of cab, and roof

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
I agree with alot that has been said in the thread already.. is it a nice gesture that Chevy realizes the efforts volunteer firefighters make? Yes. Is this truck suitable for volunteer firefighters? Not really. As a marked say Chief's unit, or utility, I would change up some lighting and graphics issues then i wouldn't mind it as much. But for a poor volunteer firefighter like me? Way overboard.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
7d9_z28 said:
Don't we have enough crazies hurting and killing people on bases as it is? :nono:

Not here. We are actively training to counter that. We get better at finding and "neutralizing" that particular threat everyday.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Close ups from the Texas State Fair. Please note, neither of these trucks are intended for production, in any way, shape, or form. They are simply promotional vehicles. The VFF truck is just a nod of appreciation to VFF's. The VFF truck's warning lighting is the Responder, no HAW's. The Black Ops truck has no warning lighting.

10-53DC4AF7-390176-1280.jpg

10-A025738F-607754-1280.jpg

10-74251916-577522-1280.jpg

10-ADB7B579-669757-1280.jpg

10-81B7586F-466503-1280.jpg

10-1A49AC25-357548-1280.jpg

10-6692D747-680224-1280.jpg

10-CE00838F-496222-1280.jpg

10-6692D747-680224-1280.jpg

10-27DBEDF2-513308-1280.jpg

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
If the Chevy Colorado ends up having that type of body look then I am quite impressed and think it will be a good seller if it can compete with the Taco and the Frontier. Both are outdated now but still sell well because they are the only two mid-sized trucks on the market right now.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
MtnMan said:
Ehhh. Too many phony details for me: fake roll bar, pretend bolt-on fender flares, pseudo splatter graphics, and that "NO STEP" nonsense. I'll take the tires, though.

I saw the white version of this truck today, it looked like something you'd see in a movie where they dress up an existing car to make it look futuristic haha

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
RyanZ71 said:
If the Chevy Colorado ends up having that type of body look then I am quite impressed and think it will be a good seller if it can compete with the Taco and the Frontier. Both are outdated now but still sell well because they are the only two mid-sized trucks on the market right now.

Chevy Colorado to offer 6-speed stick | Fox News

I am not a Chevy guy but I love the way this looks. I wish Ford didnt kill the Ranger.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.