Console or pedestal computer mount?

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Curious what people are installing more of, and what everyone's preference is on this. I know a pedestal mount is going to be more sturdy than a console mounted arm, but are there any out there that are just absolutely garbage? Trying not to intrude on passenger side space, and so far have seen offerings from Troy and Gamber Johnson that piqued interest, but I'm no so sure about hanging the weight of a laptop off a bolt-together box.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
In my experience, Console mounts are more sturdy. They are usually mounted to the baseplate of the console. The baseplates are usually secured using both the drivers and passenger seat bolts, not just the passenger side.

The pole is also shorter since it is mounted on the trans hump, since it is shorter, the center of gravity is less.

In my current unit, a 2010 Ford Explorer, it has a console shifter, so I had to use a pole mount. I ended up using a bracket and securing to pole to the side of the console since 85% of my patrol area are dirt roads, so it sways and vibrates.

I am using a Panasonic Toughbook CF-19, with a Gamber Johnson Dock for the CF-19, and also a GJ Mongoose sliding mount, with a GJ Pole and base.

I bought a CF-19 to replace the super heavy Motorola ML900 and its dock that was about 15 pounds alone. The swaying reduced a lot since I went with a lighter computer and dock. About 10 pounds with the CF-19 and its dock, and about 20-25 with the ML900 and its dock.

In all it just depends on preference really. You can buy support arms that attach to the pole and to the floor to add a little more stability. But I would prefer a console mount if I could use it. It would be centered in the vehicle, and closer to the driver, and it would not effect if a passenger sits in the passenger seat. Others usually limit the space on the passenger side.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I really like my Troy console-mounted laptop mount.

Mounting Options

It's very solid (and it is mounted to a Troy tahoe console). The Troy consoles seem thicker and heavier than most, to me.

I particularly like the way it handles movement both in rotation as well as extending.

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Going to be dropping the money on a console tomorrow, what's the consensus between troy and gamber johnson? I like the looks of both and curious about which may be considered better than the other.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.