converting an Edge 9000 to duplex

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
My latest project is to convert my 8 strobe edge to duplex, at least in the rear. I have a frame coming from ebay with the 4 dual halogens for a TA to the rear. What else do I need, and where can i get it?

I'm working on a list:

Duplex strobes

Clear outer lenses

Amber halogen duplex lenses

Red strobe duplex lenses

what kind of mounting/standoffs will I need? Any help is appreciated. I've seen a duplex edge with a TA before and have been dreaming of converting my bar ever since. I'm praying to the elightbars.org/forums gurus for guidance.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I never been much of a fan of the duplex style. I guess because of the halogen bulb assemblies. They seem cheaply made to me. The strobes are fine though as they are the same linear strobes used in the dash kings. The lenses as well for over the strobes. The halogen lenses have different mounts. You can use any clear outer lens, Edge 9000 or 9M optics. The duplex series uses 2x6 power supplies but you could use any that you'd like (that will fit). You'll want to remember to flash "like" tubes together (same length linear bulbs and linears against helix).

You might end up with a bit of a Frankenbar but that's what l love about the Edge, having that ability to customize.

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
Thats what I've figured out so far. I am thinking I'll just install an amber TA in the back with red stobes above, and duplex TD/strobes to the front, and keep everything else if the space works out. I just bought a frame with halogens for the TA, and 4 strobe reflectors and a couple more halogens. Will I need some standoffs to mount these? It doesnt look like the frame slides in like everything else does?

I think the hardest part will be finding the red strobe filters, as I think I can order the ambers for the halogens still.

I'm on the search for an elusive set of red duplex end caps with the clear cutout at the bottom for alley lights. I know I can also run a clear end cap with a red filter on the strobe, but I'm gonna search for both.

If anyone has any parts you are willing to part with, shoot me a PM.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.