Converting Tahoe PPV to Fire POV in TX

Mar 25, 2014
TX
Hello everyone,

I live in TX - a mentor of mine was a first responder before being diagnosed with bladder cancer, and had just rigged up a brand new 2014 Tahoe PPV/SSV with a few Red/White/Blue strobes and a siren as his POV. To me, there's no better honor than to be able to re-rig his car and continue to use it in the line of serving the public and saving lives. 

Here's my question. I tried reading the Texas transportation code and found it to be vague around what colors emergency personnel can use. I see lots of fire apparatus with red white AND blue, and some with just red/white. Personally, I don't see why it would make a difference...But in an effort to ensure I'm up to code: to use this as a Fire POV, do I need to replace the blue lighting with just red/white, or is blue applicable to ALL emergency personnel? Does it even matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
http://elightbars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30732

All the information is here, sometimes you just have to look for it.

The consensus seems to be whatever you want as long as you don't go overboard. I did not read the entire thread.

That being said your probably just fine with whatever equipment that's already installed.

However it seems that it would be bordering law enforcement impersonation also which is a big :nono: here.

Personally I own a retired charger and use it for volly fire. But it equipped and labeled as such.

There's quite a few Texans here and they can give far more accurate answer than I can.

Also, welcome to the board! You will find more information here than you ever thought you needed to know

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Texas does not distinguish between colors for different disciplines. Personally-owned vehicles of VFFs can run red/white/blue just like a fire engine or police car.

Impersonation involves your conduct. If you try to stop someone... guess what.

Your department may have sensitivities around certain colors- you'll have to ask them.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
wilsonbr90 said:
That being said your probably just fine with whatever equipment that's already installed.

However it seems that it would be bordering law enforcement impersonation also which is a big :nono: here.

Personally I own a retired charger and use it for volly fire. But it equipped and labeled as such.

Thanks for the link and the information. I see "impersonation" is a hot topic here - but it's not really something I'm worried about. Lights are lights, but the usage and purpose are totally different. I am about to place an order for my "Certified Firefighter" license plate, and as long as it doesn't look tacky I'll have 4" x 4" stickers of my station's emblem on the rear and side glass. As it is, the vehicle doesn't have any wording or badging to indicate it used to be operated by a LEO rather than a FF - its just standard black. It just looks like a standard service vehicle, like all the others at our station. It's up to the user to use their equipment responsibly and for the right reasons. My plan is to remove all doubts with the FF plate so that citizens can see I'm here to pull you out of a building not take you to jail!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
From what I understand, VFFs can run any combo of red/blue/white in TX. Let's see some pics and videos of the new ride!

Reactions: R1894

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
VFF's can use red, blue, and clear, as well as a siren.

Although I am not aware of any major city that has a VFD, and there are no provisions in Texas for paid FF's to have emergency lighting in their POV's.

aggmeister2010 said:
...a brand new 2014 Tahoe PPV/SSV

One or the other, Police Pursuit (or package) Vehicle, which is pursuit rated. Special Service Vehicle, is not pursuit rated, and is usually a de-optioned, or bare bones, vehicle. My guess is it is a PPV.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I know a bunch of vollies that run red/blue/clear & siren in Texas. However, the key to taking a LEO vehicle (ie tahoe or crown vic) for POV use & not being ridiculed as a poser-douche is trying to get away from the typical cruiser look (ie large wrap around pushbumper, black rims, heavily tinted windows, thin blue line stickers, black rims) when possible. Not saying you have to get a paint job and rip all of those items out, but use some common sense to make it look less "aggressive" so you can keep yourself out of trouble

PS please share a vid of it currently & a list of what's in it!!!

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
TX LEO here, so here is my perspective.

1. Get with a dept. first (I didn't see if you are currently with a dept.)

2. Talk to your Chief about what is allowed or not allowed. For example, the vollys in my county are not allowed to have lights in the POV until they are off their probationary period. The older guys here tend to run red/white. The newer ones like the blue for some reason, but to each is own.

3. Get to know the LEOs and Troopers in your area because they are the ones that will be pulling you over. Not all agencies have everyone's frequency on the radio. I don't listen to the fire channel on my radio.

4. Don't be one of those guys who likes to show up to scenes in their POVs with all your lights going instead of responding to the station. We get that alot, there will be 1 or 2 Fire trucks show up on location and like 20 vollys show up to a scene in their POV going in and out of traffic and parking where ever they want. 98% of the time 1 truck is all that is needed.

5. DO NOT EVER FIGHT WITH THE PO-PO on a scene. I see that alot these days on the internet. Don't know why that is a new trend, but it's stupid. Makes both parties look like butts, very unprofessional for "public safety."

Most importantly: I applaud you for what you are doing for your friend and doing this in his honor. The world needs more people like you.

Reactions: ranair911
Mar 25, 2014
TX
HILO said:
VFF's can use red, blue, and clear, as well as a siren. Although I am not aware of any major city that has a VFD, and there are no provisions in Texas for paid FF's to have emergency lighting in their POV's.

The department I'm working with is out in one of the suburbs - I live just outside their coverage area, so I'm still able to work with them, I just work more shifts than their VFFs who are a little closer to make up for it. This is important to me, so I'm willing to make the drive.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
cybercop said:
5. DO NOT EVER FIGHT WITH THE PO-PO on a scene. I see that alot these days on the internet. Don't know why that is a new trend, but it's stupid. Makes both parties look like butts, very unprofessional for "public safety."

I have to laugh at this... how about "the po-po not act like an ass on a scene"? Most of what I've seen on the Intarwebz lately involves a firefighter doing his job, and a cop with small penis syndrome.

Reactions: Surgicalcric
Mar 25, 2014
TX
Hey everyone,

You can't really see much of the gear in these pictures, but it's just your standard tahoe with a "minimalist" approach to lighting - enough to be seen when needed for VFD work, but it won't draw any attention otherwise. I plan to add  one of the visor mounted interior light bars a few months down the road since it's lacking forward facing lighting other than wig-wags. 
Right now it has:

- Front and rear wig-wags in factory lights
- 2x FedSig Micropulse 6 on each running board
- FedSig SignalMaster in the top of the rear window
- FedSig Viper S2 in each side rear window
- SoundOff Intersector on each side mirror

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.