Cool Crown Vic Trick-Pics Added!

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Ever notice the torn rear bumper covers on 1998 to current Crown Vics? The rear bumper cover is just secured by two flimsy brackets, and otherwise is just hanging there. Snag a parking block, and the bumper cover tears. Looks like crap and costs a lot to repair, or worse, gets left damaged and looks terrible.

Last spring, I modified my CVPI to prevent this damage. It only took about 10 minutes, and it is called a bumper tuck. You will only need a socket set and wire cutters, and maybe a set of vise grips or pliers.

There are two (maybe 4?) brackets holding the bumper cover out away from the frame. Remove the bolts where they attach to the cover. Flip the brackets up and away. They will swivel freely, so there is no need to remove them.

Take two sturdy nylon wire ties (approx. 18" ties should do it) and thread them through the holes on the bumper cover that the brackets had been attached to.

There is a sturdy bar clearly visible near the outside of the trunk. (underneath the car) Loop the wire ties around this bar, and pull the bumper into the bar. Then just trim the excess length from the ties. You don't need to pull it all the way in. I stopped tightening it before the bumper cover pulled too far or got deformed.

Your bumper is now tucked several inches up and in, which will prevent it from snagging and tearing.

The modification is simple, and makes the car look better in my opinion. And it sure beats driving down the highway with your ass flappin' in the wind!

If the directions aren't clear, they will be when you get under the car and take a look. It made me wonder why I didn't think of it. (which I didn't) Credit goes to the folks at crownvic.net. There are numerous threads on it, but I couldn't immediately find any pics to snipe and post here. I haven't heard that dreaded scraping sound ever since, and that has made a believer out of me.

You can see a mild difference after it has been done. The before pic shows the bumper looks a little "saggy". The after pic makes the bumper look tighter. Looks better in my opinion.

wmtuck.jpg

before4.jpg

after4.jpg

nbkj58

Sep 29, 2010
Indiana, USA
Nice bumper mod. Bounding up and down across grassy medians can rip them too. Wish I heard of this trick a long time ago...

kaw753

May 22, 2011
NC
I've also found that if you remove the two plastic brackets, install bolts through the holes where they mount, roll the bottom of the bumper cover up to where tabs on the cover line up with previously installed the bolts, and use big fender washers and locknuts, that the cover will stay pulled up tight.

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
Great tip! It really does make the back bumper look a ton better. A little more "aggressive" or "sporty" IMO. I'll have to try this out!

Thanks!

Model 12

May 25, 2010
Upper Great Lakes
My agency has been tucking the CVPI bumper covers since at least 2000 because the first two years of the current body style, management got sick of replacing them. The install shop has been running a few bolts or huge self-tapper's from the underside to tuck it up. Works great and stays there when the car is run out and sold at auction.

KFRDtondout

Jan 9, 2011
WI
I did this on my cvpi yrs ago, really made it look a hell of a lot better, crazy how some zip ties can change an appearance so nicely haha

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I tried this trick with my dad's '08 CVPI that he bought for a work car at the monthly state fleet auction last October. It really does make a heck of a difference in appearance! Zipties rock :thumbsup: !

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.