Correct bulb for solar ray model 18 bulb question

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What is the correct sealed beam bulb to go under a red lens in a 12 volt solar ray light?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Right now I have a red bulb under a red lens, so I know the bulb is wrong... I can't find any markings on it though... any idea what number or type it is?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It has a 4436 r in it now... I'll use a 4436 clear bulb I think... is fluted the correct style?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
fyr1075k said:
I would have to take a closer look at it (take it apart). It looks like an old style automotive type headlamp. Let me see what I can find out.

I can actually have a par 46 fluted bulb here... I just thought spot would work better...

All the vids seem to have a fluted bulb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGlqHVuFRU

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
Is it 6 or 12 volt?

edit... DUH nevermind.

Its definately a fluted bulb. The beam is like a fog light pattern, wide (side to side) and narrow (top to bottom). The beam pattern is what gives the flash effect.

Mine is a 6 volt so it wont help you.

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
It is a fluted bulb (I could not recall the correct word for the bulb). I remember John Dorgan telling me. I know I have a federal ad jpg that describes the type of bulb, but you are correct, its fluted.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
fyr1075k said:
It is a fluted bulb. I remember John Dorgan telling me. I know I have a federal ad jpg that describes the type of bulb, but you are correct, its fluted.

Cool.. that's what I will use then.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
It has a 4436 r in it now... I'll use a 4436 clear bulb I think... is fluted the correct style?

That should do you, John, unless you really want to make it bright with a halogen sealed beam!

I saw something interesting on Ebay. A guy has an old Mars light that is labelled as an 888, but it has a 1019 bulb (like a jr. beacon). I suspect that it may be an old DL8. You might want to take a look under "Mars light".

stlfireman

Feb 14, 2012
USA, Kansas City, Misso
JohnMarcson said:
Right now I have a red bulb under a red lens, so I know the bulb is wrong... I can't find any markings on it though... any idea what number or type it is?

If you have a red lens, use the clear bulb, the defused type bulbe is not the right one. The correct bulb is smoth and you can see the filliment.In the Solar-Ray light it's mounted with the bulb "tab" in either notch so the the filiment is horizintal.

Frank Herrick

KCMO

Part # 24582 – 4436

GE PAR46 - Emergency Vehicle; Very Narrow Spot

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Lamp type

Sealed Beam - PAR

Bulb PAR46

Base Screw Terminals

Primary Application

Emergency Vehicle; Very Narrow Spot

Filament

C-6

Product Technology

Incandescent

Rated Life

300 hrs

PHOTOMETRIC CHARACTERISTICS

Beam Spread - Horizontal

10.0 - 10.0 %

Beam Spread - Vertical

4.0 - 10.0 %

Center Beam Candlepower (CBCP)

Max. Beam Candlepower (MBCP) (MAX)

ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Wattage

Voltage

DIMENSIONS

Maximum Overall Length (MOL)

3.7500 in (95.2 mm)

Bulb Diameter (DIA)

5.7500 in (146.0 mm)

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Product Code

Description

ANSI Code

Standard Package

Case

Standard Package GTIN

Standard Package Quantity

Sales Unit

Unit

No Of Items Per Sales Unit

No Of Items Per Standard Package

UPC

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:

Federal always used the fluted style bulb on those lights, John. But I've seen a few that are totally clear...but I suspect those might've been replacements. Odessa FD had a single SolaRay stanchion-mounted above the windshield of an open cab ALF Aerial many years ago. It was the single warning light on the truck with the exception of two small red flashers sitting next to the turn signals on the front of the truck. It had a Q down on the left side of the bumper. But I guarantee, you'd could see that clear SolaRay for a very long way. Two or three of their other trucks had red SolaRays that I liked, but in the years that I was gone from here when I was in Lubbock, they were replaced by 184 beacons. I'd like to find one of those old lights, but none have turned up anywhere. I'm sure they went at one of the auctions. I'm sure that 4436 bulb would work just fine. Is the light going on a vehicle?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.