Crown Vic steering failures 2005-2011 MY

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Apparently our department has had two instances of the steering column failing on our 2005-2011 Crown Vics since July. They inspected a couple of Fords today, apparently including mine, and there were "indicators of steering problems" on multiple cars. I was notified this morning that my car was ready after routine maintenance, then they called me back a couple hours later and advised my car was NOT ready, it had to go to the dealership.

As of today we were notified that ALL our Crown Vics of those years are to be returned immediately to our maintenance shop for inspection. This is NOT a Ford recall at this point, but apparently is a potential problem within our fleet.

Has anyone else heard of this? I strongly encourage officers to pay close attention to any steering related issues and perhaps have your mechanics check them as soon as possible.

Vriez

Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
The upper knuckle on my steering shaft broke, thank God it was while i was backing out of a parking spot... That was an 04 i believe FWIW

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Apparently it is part of the lower steering arm that crushes in the event of an accident. It is too close to the exhaust manifold and the heat is prematurely wearing the plastic. It would be near impossible to find in a wreck, because it is designed to break, so if it broke and caused the wreck, there would be no proof. Apparently NHTSA is involved and looking at our vehicles. They found about 20 or 30 cars that were on the verge of breaking just within our fleet of a couple hundred Crown Vics...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I got a recall notice for my 06. Unfortunately, I traded it in over 2 months ago and it has a new owner. Hope they get notified.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.