CT State Police Investigate Fake Emergency Dispatch Calls

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
This has been happening for the last couple of weeks in Litchfield County, CT. I was at the firehouse the other night and heard the Watertown incident. Its interesting to check out however. Have any of you guys had this issue in the past? We are probably going to send two officers or an engine to every call now just to be safe. He cancelled a Fire Dept recently going to an active chimney fire. He called in as Car 2 and said there was no problem.

This is the article from the news:

State police are investigating false emergency radio transmissions made over the Litchfield County Dispatch system, which dispatches fire and ambulance crews in northwestern Connecticut.

According to police, fake emergency broadcasts placed between Dec. 25 and Jan. 6 have sent ambulances out to non-emergencies and canceled calls to actual fires.

State police are conducting a criminal investigation and believe the person responsible is using a lost or stolen portable radio or electronic device.

Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect.

Anyone with information is asked to contact state police at 860-234-1529 or 860-626-1821, or send an email to holly.wrightson@ct.gov. Calls will be kept confidential.

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/audio/Dispatch_Watertown_Car_1.wav

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/audio/Dispatch_Sharon_Car_2.wav

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I take it your radios are not capable of just killing the radio?

My dad was on a walk one time and found a local FD radio in the grass and didnt know what to do with it. I went over and returned it to the FD.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
The guy must know enough about the comm system to sound authentic. If I was CSP, I'd start by looking for recently terminated or otherwise disgruntled fire, aid, police or private ambulance personnel that would have access to that type of equipment and knowledge.

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
FireEMSPolice said:
I take it your radios are not capable of just killing the radio?

My favorite way of finding a missing loaner. Stun it, and it will magically appear in the charger in the back with a sticky on it saying its battery isn't holding a charge.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
This happened here years ago but the guy was just calling out and clearing traffic stops mostly for one officer. Could even imitate the guys voice pretty well. It was a low band system so there was no way to disable the radio.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
At one point they were able to find out the general area of where he was from because of the tower it was hitting. Now the Watertown incident occurred in a different area so he is doing it in a vehicle. Pretty much every radio has an identifier but his does not. We thought maybe it was some slapper who is trying to get on a dept but can't so now he's messing around.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
LCD Runs Both VHF and Low band. is he encoding tone as well

if he did that down in in the Valley shore/KX area he would have been found by now. But all the dept here all use mixed low band and uhf

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
FSEP said:
So wait.... We're not suppose to do that at dark o thirty in the morning when were bored.... Oh...

Cary on.
Its always fun when someone (usually a rookie) leave their radio on the charger and exits the room... Its better when its a sergeant that left her radio overnight way back when I was on midnights...

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Two more audio files:

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/public_information_files/sharongoshencar1audio.wav

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/public_information_files/sheffieldcar1engine1audio.wav

Listening to this asshole screw with the dispatchers and other personnel is infuriating. I can't wait for them to catch this guy.

He uses some lingo, but definitely doesn't have it down pat. He keeps using Car 1 and Car 2 because they are generic call signs. I'd love to hear a file where the real department officer gets on and tears into this guy.

I want to know how he pulled off the Sheffield transmissions. He went from barely audible to crystal clear. I'm also wondering if he knows what a "mutual aid" radio is because that is what is engraved on the portable he's f*cking around with.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
A logical place to investigate would be local radio shops. Someone had to program the radio, unless it's stolen. We had this happen once, but stunned it. Never did recover the radio. It had been stolen from an officer's POV.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
They ever catch this douche deluxe yet?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Judge better hit up the bullpen and warm up his book throwing arm.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.