CT State Trooper Cars...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Ok, I just got back from a trip to CT for work, drove to the Foxwoods Resort for a PowerPhone Seminar... Anyway I saw tons of CT Trooper cars, but they were a little wierd to me... I didn't see a one with ANY markings at al on them... Here are the descriptions of the 2 styles I saw...

Car #1: Slicktop Unit

Gray CVPI, Push Bumper, HLF, Siren, Whelen CVPI CHMSL Dual Talon, and a single Antenna either on the roof or the truck, I forget which...

Car #2: Full Package Unit

Gray CVPI, Push Bumper, HLF, Siren, Whelen CVPI CHMSL Dual Talon, Camera by the RVM, MDT Terminal, Whelen Liberty with a custom "State Trooper" section in the front center, and an Antenna Farm (5) on the roof with and MDT antenna on the truck

Is this the norm in CT...? Or is this just how "Highway" units are...?

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I lived in CT for about four years and if I recall correctly, they usually do not have any markings etc on the vehicles - the cars you identified sound about right to me.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
They are unmarked and don't have lightbars because the officers are allowed to take home the vehicles after their shift. The units that do have full-size bars have quick-disconnects so the trooper can take the bar off when he is not on duty.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Some have markings I believe, unless they have done away with it. Those units are usually special units that stay at the station but are not usually used for patrol. Also the "State Police" on the lightbar lights up red, kinda like how Ferrara lights up on the grille of their fire trucks.

Connecticut State Police Page

Jan 11, 2012
New England
My uncle is a CT state trooper. ALL CT state trooper cars are unmarked, most are grey, some are dark blue. If you look in the center of their light bar however, there is a little marking that reads STATE POLICE. But to answer your question, YES all state police cars in CT are unmarked.

jdaaemt

Nov 9, 2011
CONNECTICUT (CT)
All CSP cars come with 2 rear single talons/avengers taillight HAW wigwags and a r/b liberty the libertys come off when the officer is off duty. Older cruisers have the same set up except with 9000 bars and dash misers in the rear. Any dash lights, grill lights, inner edges or the like are purchased at the troopers expense. As for marked cars every troop has 1 or 2 for PR type events they usualy have a marked CVPI and an older Jeep cherokee. The slick tops you saw were just cruisers with the bar in the trunk.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
I'm not sure I understand the logic of light bar removal when going off-duty. Aside from potential theft, what is the reasoning behind it? Fully marked and equipped take homes are commonplace all over the country. Any thoughts?

jdaaemt

Nov 9, 2011
CONNECTICUT (CT)
CT troopers are allowed to use their crusiers off duty as their POV. I know quite a few of the guys who dont even own a personal car. The thinking I belive is that they arent advertising themselves as much without the markings or lightbars with family in the cruiser. The flip side is they are required to carry their side arm and have their radio on for the area they are driving through at any time they are in the cruiser.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
jdaaemt said:
CT troopers are allowed to use their crusiers off duty as their POV. I know quite a few of the guys who dont even own a personal car. The thinking I belive is that they arent advertising themselves as much without the markings or lightbars with family in the cruiser. The flip side is they are required to carry their side arm and have their radio on for the area they are driving through at any time they are in the cruiser.

I guess I get that. We have basically the same off-duty policy for officers who live within city limits, which I did until about a week ago when I moved to the town to the north. Our reasoning is that we want officers to be recognized and visible as much as possible to act as a crime and bad driving deterrent. So if all they want to do is give them a "company vehicle", it makes sense. Seems more can be accomplished with marked/lit cars.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
So I am assuming the lightbar has some kind of quick disconnect? Seems like it would be a PITA to take it off an on all the time.

jdaaemt

Nov 9, 2011
CONNECTICUT (CT)
There is no requirement to take it off its only an option. They are very easy to remove it is a quick connect waterproof harness and half turn cam locks on the straps. A lot of guys leave them on but there are quite a few that remove them all the time

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
lafd55 said:
Funny how that was taken in Rye, NY. Hahaha.

It's the first NY Exit after the state line so it's common for CSP, CDOT and Greenwich FD to use the exit as a turn around and head north.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Is there a difference between what the driver of the different color can do, like a special unit or is it just for variety? Must be nice to graduate the police academy and get a new car :)

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Another reason troopers take the bars off when not on duty is because when those bars are plugged in (and the cruiser's marker lights are on) not only does the center section illuminate as already mentioned, but the corners go into cruise mode.

These cars are not just take home, but the troopers are encouraged to use them as their "daily drivers" when they're not on duty. They can take them to the grocery store, to the park, the only condition is that they are expected to stop and render aid ("never off duty").

So, because many troopers drive them around all the time, it's nice to take those high-profile bars with the cruise lights off for a lower profile.

(there also used to be little "State Police" placards that were affixed to the car when the troopers were actually on patrol... Not sure if they still utilize those or not)

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Zack said:
These cars are not just take home, but the troopers are encouraged to use them as their "daily drivers" when they're not on duty. They can take them to the grocery store, to the park, the only condition is that they are expected to stop and render aid ("never off duty").

So pretty much like Honolulu Police Department.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
JGpublicsafety said:
If you look in the center of their light bar however, there is a little marking that reads STATE POLICE.

Yes, I know, hence the reason I put it in my desctiption...

lafd55 said:
Also the "State Police" on the lightbar lights up red, kinda like how Ferrara lights up on the grille of their fire trucks.

I figured it lit up... But we were traveling durring he day and didnt get to see that... LoL

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
Zack said:
Another reason troopers take the bars off when not on duty is because when those bars are plugged in (and the cruiser's marker lights are on) not only does the center section illuminate as already mentioned, but the corners go into cruise mode.

So, because many troopers drive them around all the time, it's nice to take those high-profile bars with the cruise lights off for a lower profile.

(there also used to be little "State Police" placards that were affixed to the car when the troopers were actually on patrol... Not sure if they still utilize those or not)

There are a few placards still in use they are blue. There is a Doctor and a Chaplin in town that run with them to the rear of their povs I know the Chaplin was a an auxilery member and had red/blue lights in his grill and a rotator on his dash.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
11b101abn said:
Doesn't HPD unwisely permit non-police package vehicle to be used?

Yea. But I'm talking about the part of being not truly "Off Duty." If a Honolulu cop is using their car while off duty they would have to respond if a call is close by.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
jdaaemt said:
Color is just luck of the draw as far as i know. Special units have expeditions and super duty pick ups with caps(ESU, Bomb, FMO ect.)

I was on I84 the other day and a trooper was in a Black Charger. They also run Dodge Chargers and Magnums. Ford Explorers,Expeditions.I think they still run a few Mustangs and Had a few other faster cars.

There were also a few old DOT types they trucks that were used but i dont know if they still have them.

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
Zack said:
These cars are not just take home, but the troopers are encouraged to use them as their "daily drivers" when they're not on duty. They can take them to the grocery store, to the park,

Which would mean they would have to keep track of personal mileage and report it on their Federal Tax forms, wouldn't it? I know anyone who has a company car that uses it for personal use does.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
BackYardSales said:
Which would mean they would have to keep track of personal mileage and report it on their Federal Tax forms, wouldn't it? I know anyone who has a company car that uses it for personal use does.

technically no because the if your a state trooper you are always on duty

i think all they can get now in non white or black is silver any more. the way it was they ordered the cars and ford would send them what they wanted.

the used to get them in blue,brown,metalic red (they were nick named the fire mashal car)and this gold color. i think ford used what they had in extra stock

rsqemt911

May 25, 2010
Naugatuck Ct
Zack said:

they cruise lights and sign can be turned off independently of the parking lights. there are many troopers that drive with them off and only turn them on when on duty. i see troopers all the time driving along with no lights on at all and then turn on the cruise lights while driving, usually when they are flying down the highway in the passing lane (not enroute to a call or anything)and when they get up on peoples bumpers and they don't pull out of the way right away they will turn them on. those placards were actually on the vehicles 24/7 for a while but they got rid of them all together. the reasoning was so even when the bar was off the vehicle they were still identified as state troopers. they looked hideous and were finally gotten rid of with the last changing of the guard.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
rsqemt911 said:
they cruise lights and sign can be turned off independently of the parking lights. there are many troopers that drive with them off and only turn them on when on duty. i see troopers all the time driving along with no lights on at all and then turn on the cruise lights while driving, usually when they are flying down the highway in the passing lane (not enroute to a call or anything)and when they get up on peoples bumpers and they don't pull out of the way right away they will turn them on. those placards were actually on the vehicles 24/7 for a while but they got rid of them all together. the reasoning was so even when the bar was off the vehicle they were still identified as state troopers. they looked hideous and were finally gotten rid of with the last changing of the guard.

Thanks for the clarification!

:)

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
11b101abn said:
Jeez. Just mark the damn cars. It's a ridiculous practice.

As a Tax payer in the State of CT i say how about we don't

the Troopers often do use the cruise at night to help move folks out of the left lane. they have lot of area to cover and not alot of guys.

also remember the CSP is the Defacto Police agency in the state if a major crime happends they go in and work the crime with the locals

also there are alot of the area of the state. Like troop F C D E there are no local Cops and the CSP have to respond

my town has a Resident state Troop and 5 Constables but the Town over Lyme has Non of that if there is an problem have to get a trooper from westbrook

Also Durham CT has no Police of there own

lednut

May 21, 2010
Middletown, CT
jdaaemt said:
There is no requirement to take it off its only an option. They are very easy to remove it is a quick connect waterproof harness and half turn cam locks on the straps. A lot of guys leave them on but there are quite a few that remove them all the time

The lightbar has to be on the vehicle when the trooper is on duty. 99.9% of the troopers will removed the lightbar when they go off duty unless they have to return the next morning or something along those lines. There is no specific policy governing the requirement to remove the lightbar from the vehicle when the trooper is off duty. As I mentioned, the policies to govern that the lightbar is to be on the vehicle when the trooper goes on duty unless they are in a specialized unit that does not warrant the need for the lightbar to be on the vehicle.

lednut

May 21, 2010
Middletown, CT
The State of Connecticut attempted to mark all the cruisers many number of years ago and also tried to take the cruisers from the troopers and make it where they would drive there personal vehicle to work, sign out a car and go on patrol. That failed miserably; mainly because the union faught it as a violation of their contract but also because the state realized that they would have a ridiculous amount of cruisers left sitting around that they would not have a need for and the cars would just go to waist.

As for marking the cruisers, I agree; leave them the way they are. In the contract of a State Trooper, they are allowed to use the vehicle for personal use and drive it just about anywhere they need to go, within reason. They are allowed to take the vehicle out of state but they need to notify the troop when they do so. When the troopers are in a specialized unit, they turn in their cruiser and they are issued another un-marked car; something that many of us refer to as an "undercover car". Today, these cars are commonly Impala's and Chargers. Going back 15 to 20 years ago, you could find Camaros, Accords, Nissan's, Eagle Talons, and so forth.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
The point of the program should be to put more troopers on the road at any given time and deter crime by making the bad guys think more cops are on duty. Driving an unmarked car with the lightbar removed doesn't so this. Let the troopers keep the take homes (all cops should have take homes IMO) but mark the cars.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
kitn1mcc said:
As a Tax payer in the State of CT i say how about we don't

the Troopers often do use the cruise at night to help move folks out of the left lane. they have lot of area to cover and not alot of guys.

also remember the CSP is the Defacto Police agency in the state if a major crime happends they go in and work the crime with the locals

also there are alot of the area of the state. Like troop F C D E there are no local Cops and the CSP have to respond

my town has a Resident state Troop and 5 Constables but the Town over Lyme has Non of that if there is an problem have to get a trooper from westbrook

Also Durham CT has no Police of there own

Still, none of that is an argument that relates to the marking of the cars.

Visibility is deterrence, which is a primary mission of LE, in general. A marked car is a component of deterrence. SO, mark the cars and increase the visibilty and deterrence value of the cars.

Stealth is stupid in a patrol car. It is necessary for specialized units, but in a GP car, markings are necessary.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
kitn1mcc said:
technically no because the if your a state trooper you are always on duty

i think all they can get now in non white or black is silver any more. the way it was they ordered the cars and ford would send them what they wanted.

the used to get them in blue,brown,metalic red (they were nick named the fire mashal car)and this gold color. i think ford used what they had in extra stock

Many years ago i needed a reliable vehicle so iwent to a dealership that sold used police cars,(since they are heavyduty i thought it would be a good choice)

They only cars were dark blue crown victorias 00-03's I bought one then looked at the title and it came from the CT state police.

It was dark blue. Had lightbar holes and antenna holes and spotlight. Thats it. No decals. Then it had a pushbutton floor rubber switch called air trol orsomething. I found out that was used on CT troopers to lock the car when it was in park so someone would have to hit the floor switch of the airtrol and then shift.Its a safety mechanism. But itwas a great car, clean, tough and got eveil looks on the highways

conn1.jpg

conn2.jpg

conn09.jpg

conn215.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
AerodyMANIAC said:
Many years ago i needed a reliable vehicle so iwent to a dealership that sold used police cars,(since they are heavyduty i thought it would be a good choice)
They only cars were dark blue crown victorias 00-03's I bought one then looked at the title and it came from the CT state police.

It was dark blue. Had lightbar holes and antenna holes and spotlight. Thats it. No decals. Then it had a pushbutton floor rubber switch called air trol orsomething. I found out that was used on CT troopers to lock the car when it was in park so someone would have to hit the floor switch of the airtrol and then shift.Its a safety mechanism. But itwas a great car, clean, tough and got eveil looks on the highways

Cool story, bro. Tell it again?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.