Curious if you've experienced this. Turned down for promotion due to being a VFF.

Spetsnaz

Apr 1, 2015
Ohio
Recently a supervisors position opened up at my place of work. I applied for it, interviewed for it, and ultimately I was turned down. I had one other individual as competition who has only been on the job for about four months with no qualifications, certifications, or experience outside of the current place. I have about two years at this current place, six years of experience in my field, and I have prior supervisory and management experience.

During the interview I noticed that I was kind of hounded on my VFF membership. A lot of questions seemed to come up. Especially about being potentially late for work due to emergency calls. I had issues prior with one supervisor who wanted to write me up for being late due to being at an emergency but that was quickly fixed when they were made aware of Ohio law.

So, as the topic states. I was turned down for the position. I could not get a straight answer directly from the higher ups. When I asked what I could do or how I could improve I was not answered. But other supervisors, who all had put in a good word for me and are trustworthy, are communicating that it was "concerns" over my loyalty toward my job or my VFD which caused them to pick a much lesser experienced person. Of course, sorry to say to them, my loyalty goes to serving my community first.

Needless to say I am disappointed and I will likely be seeking employment elsewhere because of this experience. But I am curious. Has anyone else run into this sort of issue with your employment?

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I've had something similar happen last year. 

A bit of background on me: I've been an EMT for 13 years, have worked for the same county for over 3 years, volunteer with the county rescue squad as well, have been a Corrections Officer for a little over a year, and have been a tactical medic for a neighboring county's SO for approx. 2 years.  Granted the CO and tactical medic were both several years ago, but still you tend to remember your training. 

I apply to work fulltime @ my local PD, where I was already taken on as a reserve officer (in SC a reserve has to meet the same training requirements as FT officers, and has full authority).  Granted I had only been running second person for 2-3 months by the time I finished training / testing (5 months).  I made it to the last stage in the hiring process, which being a reserve, all I had to do was apply and have the 2 interviews.  I was informed the next day that I was passed for someone that is just hold enough to own a handgun and has no experience in LE.  The reason?  I stated in the panel interview that I was still going to keep my EMT current, which would require me to stay on with my current job on a part time basis.  When asked why, I said: I worked and devoted years to training at this point, I enjoy it, by being PT I could still go to in-service to maintain my EMT, and it's a good paying PT job - for a little extra money.  Apparently, that meant that I didn't know if I wanted to be an LEO or not, and that would give me a quick escape if I decided I wanted out.  If I wasn't sure, do you think I would still be a reserve and apply to go FT; even though it would be a (small) pay cut?!  Oh well, whatever.  I'm still wanting to be an LEO, I just though it would be nice if it was for the department I volunteer with, and live in!

Sorry, I know that was a little long winded.  I guess I needed to vent too.  Anyway, I know how you feel!  It sucks!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Jobs today are looking for commitment. The order goes God, country, family, job, no part time job included. Some jobs may even put job first, which is more and more common these days, but you make the ultimate decision by applying for and accepting the job.

From what I've read here, you both have decided to keep your part time jobs in lieu of getting the new full time jobs. Even if you never stated this, it is implied. Your decision.

Jobs can't run shifts or a business based on your possibly not showing up because of a call you might be on in your part time job.

Some will go along with community service, and are happy to help, but that is no longer the norm.

If you want the job bad enough, you have to play the game their way.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Dan is exactly right. Unfortunately, morals are all but gone, nowadays. YOU, sticking to your commitment to your VFD position will only get in the way of your "regular job's" requirements for being there when they need you, in their mind. Why else would that have been such a HOT topic for them in your interviews? You could have been less emphatic regarding your VFD commitment during the interview process but that would have been an ethical dilemma, not being completely truthful. Even if their firm was in flames, your first priority (in their eyes) must be to them. Being a "hero" for someone else just doesn't matter to a growing number of people anymore, unfortunately. This nation, again, simply doesn't want their "heroes" anymore. It's an antiquated theory according to the younger generation who are rapidly filling the ranks. I mean seriously, look at the way police officers are so disgustingly disrespected all over this country lately! Only YOU can make the decision regarding which is most important to YOU. We here, I'm sure, all admire your loyalty and commitment to your VFD but obviously your employer could give a shit and you have to either "like it or lump it", as they say. Sorry, my friend, but that's the way things seem to be heading, sadly. GOOD LUCK in your search!

Reactions: Spetsnaz

Spetsnaz

Apr 1, 2015
Ohio
I completely agree with the subjects posted. The best thing is I have only been late at most four times. The longest I've been late is an hour. So it is not a common thing that I am late for work due to a call. It really should not have had that much of an impact.

However, like I said, I had issues with a previous supervisor (who has since left the job) who attempted to write me up for one of the few times I was late. When they had Ohio law slammed in their face (it is unlawful in this state to punish an employee for being late due to an emergency call) he backed down, but told me he would have loved to fought it in court and test that law. Thankfully he is gone....but now I almost wonder if some of those still in 'power' have similar mindsets.

I'm not going to sweat it. Nor am I going to create a fuss with them over it. What's done is done and I can't blame the other guy for applying and taking the spot. I've already got some promising oppurtunities lined up. :)

As far as their beliefs...

This place of employment is in a large city. (I travel to work) Where there are full time fire departments. They really do not understand the concept of VFD's. They always act confused when I tell them the process of it. I think it is a culture shock to them. This could potentially be another part of the issue.

So, now that I have experienced it - what advice do I have for other's who may stumble on this thread;

Don't sweat it. If there are laws in your state preventing this, obviously use that to your advantage, but Ohio only has laws preventing punishments for being late or absent from work...not discrimination from promotions. (Which I have read some states do have laws against this.) If the job is not willing to support your commitment to the community - then in my opinion you do not need to support your commitment to them. Find somewhere else who will be more supportive. Which is precisely what I am in the process of doing.

Thanks for the input and shared experiences, everyone!

Reactions: 894

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I've had exactly the opposite experience with my current employer, and it's one of the reasons I'm still there. They treat my fire service similarly to military service... I have pre-authorization to go on TIFMAS deployments when they come up, and they understand that I may be late from time to time due to calls. Since I work from home most of the time, they are flexible to calls during the day (within reason). Even better, they continue paying my salary if I'm deployed.

I don't know the size of your employer, but if it's a larger company, I would be tempted to write a letter (on paper, signed) directly to the CEO and explain the situation. If you're going to leave anyway, you don't have much to lose. He or she may have a different opinion than some mid-level PHB.

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
I ran into a slight issue with my previous employer to the one I have now, where I inquired about tardiness due to fire runs during lunch hours, to which my supervisor responded "maybe you shouldn't be on call during those hours".

I was ready to walk out on the spot, but I conceded, and didn't throw the Ohio law at them, because while they couldn't fire me, it could have cost the company our contract.

It is actually our department policy that work and family come first.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.