Custom color Whelen TADP8?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Trying to out fit a new Ford PI Utility for the National Park Service.

Anyone know if the Whelen TADP* can be custom ordered in other colors besides amber? I've tried contacting Whelen about it but they aren't answering the question and my GSA vender isn't sure (he didn't even know you could custom order a "dumb Dominator").

Why the TADP over a std Dominator Plus? Well, I like the flash patterns more and the traffic advisor capability. I know I could get the same features/flash patterns by purchasing a rear Inner-Edge but I don't like purchasing high dollar vehicle specific equipment if I can avoid it.

I'm trying to order an 8 head in BRBBBBAB.

Any insight or alternatives would be appreciated.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Try contacting John Forbes @ lonestar pse or Louis @ SNM...it shouldn't be a problem ordering a custom-color dominator TAD b/c all the dominator modules are easily interchangeable. The difference bet. the TADP and the standard dominator plus is that the standard dominators only have standard flash patterns, not TA.

As for the color, I highly recommend against the proposed BRBBBBAB layout, because the blue will drown out everything else...if u want to use 3 colors, I would go with RRBBBBAA, so that you can have larger red/amber footprints.

Another option is going with a red/blue lightstick with duo TA capabilities (ie RRRRBBBB, RRBBBBRR, or BBRRRRBB that turns to amber for basic TA patterns)...you have some economical options like the SNM E66, but if you want a linear light, go with the axixtech commander XL6...I think it's the best combination of value and features (you can select amber flash, amber TA, colored flash, colored TA, etc)

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Thank you for the info. I'll reach out to John and see if he can do anything for me. I'll stay away from SNM; I purchase some Cannons based on the flash pattern info posted on their site and when I got them they didn't have the pattern (brake flicker, which was removed in the newer models) they didn't respond to any of my emails or phone calls. So I sent them back anyway and they were refused.

Thanks for the insight on the colors and I would like to do something different. But it's a Massachusetts thing and uniformity is important. All our Liberty's are setup BRBBBBAB to the rear and our slicktops have Dominator's set up the same. The big push for the TADP is so it has the same pattern as the Liberty's (Signal Alert scan) and can do traffic advisor if needed.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Gotcha. Yeah, whelen now has a 500 series duo-color TA, but it is double the cost of the commander. I really think that Axixtech has a really reliable linear series (Xtreme lightheads) that has SAE ratings & (IMHO) is comparable to the 500 series. Sorry to hear about your experience with SNM, but I can't imagine anything like that happening with john's shop

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
I honestly love the 500 series lightheads.

I used to have a 2009 Crown Vic low pro Traffic Enforcement vehicle with 500 series MirrorBeams, front InnerEdge, and rear headliner InnerEdge. It was replaced with a Charger with Ion MirrorBeams, and LinZ6 front and rear deck InnerEdges.

I hate the new setup. I know the 500s had a larger more attention getting footprint, which may have made them appear brighter. The LinZ6 rear deck InnerEdge is a total waste, it sits to low to be effective at any type of distance. My old rear headliner 500 series was often mistaken for a light bar.

It'll be interesting to see what Whelen come out with, as in making an XLP based rear InnerEdge (hopefully a headliner and not deck) and maybe an XLP Dominator. Fingers crossed.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
You can order a TADP8 in different colors. You just need to specify through your dealer. Whelen will have no problem making it the way you want it.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
wilsonbr90 said:
If you order amber I can change the color of the heads far cheaper than buying it colored

It shouldn't cost any extra to have a red or blue module versus the standard amber. I've ordered custom Whelen products many times and never paid more than the cost of the standard item.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.