Custom flasback shiled for Tomar 200-s...

EMSChief1

Jul 17, 2010
NY/NJ
I decided to make a custom flashback shield for my 200-s to get it up high, tight and closer to the windshield behind the RVM. The current sucton cup metal one is way too large.

I purchased a sheet of 1/8 inch ABS and was wondering how you guys have cut it in the past? Score it with a razor and snap it? Sheers?

Also, I've been told that I can bend up the side just by heating it up with a heat gun?

EMSChief1 said:
I decided to make a custom flashback shield for my 200-s to get it up high, tight and closer to the windshield behind the RVM. The current sucton cup metal one is way too large.

I purchased a sheet of 1/8 inch ABS and was wondering how you guys have cut it in the past? Score it with a razor and snap it? Sheers?

Also, I've been told that I can bend up the side just by heating it up with a heat gun?

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and get yourself a "plastic cutting tool" in the section where they sell stock plastic; looks like this:

aep_yimg_com_ca_I_yhst_92284169562666_2136_4658294_.gif

Get a hard straight edge and hold it down firm where you want to cut, and draw this tool lightly backwards along the straight edge. Do this several times, each time a sliver of plastic will be removed. Go slow and steady so you don't jump track. Once you've cut almost all the way through, you can complete the cut by snapping the pieces.

ABS will bend nicely with the use of a heat gun. Use some gloves to handle it, because you have to get it fairly hot to bend it, and you'll want to hold the plastic in place until it cools after you've bent it. Good luck.

Found it at Lowes...thanks cajun. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I bought a rather large piece of ABS for my small project for those errors I'm sure I'll make.

Ive always gone to Micheals or Hobby Lobby / MJDesigns and picked up some semi rigid 1/16th" thick material in black. Cuts with a knife or scissors. wrap around the light, cut to fit the windshield, then 3M tape it to the light. No hard plastic to deal with and jagged edges.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381