Custom Mini Justice UPDATED DONE! 5/4/15!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Alright, so after pulling my 49" Millennium and selling my V plow knowing with my new job I wouldn't have the time to properly care for my route, I figured I was done with lights on my truck for awhile. Wrong, as could easily be predicted. Picked up a cheap plow from a family member and then needed a new light. I have a 50" cree bar over my windshield so a fullsize warning bar on the roof was not going to work well, looks wise. I went on the hunt for a mini Justice. I successfully obtained a mini justice:frame, bases, mounting plates, two white linear 6led corners,and one new dome (courtesy of Retired1, thanks again Chief!) Shortly after, I obtained a pair of amber CON3 for the bar, but still needed to figure out the rest of the bar....

20150322_141629.jpg

After some thinking and measuring, I found that standard Liberty corners are pretty much the same size overall as the Justice corners, but with double the LEDs. I have a set of red ones I am trading to Brian (Wilsonbr90) for ambers. I will have to trim the pieces off them that slide into the LFL frame, and mount them but that will be pretty simple. So having an idea for corners, and having the two CON3, I planned to put the CON3 in the front, and put some white steady light in the rear. I have enough rear warning to not need the heads in the back of the bar flashing. In a desperate attempt to save as much money as possible, I decided to trim the reflectors of the white corners, and drill the mounting brackets to attach them to the rear positions of the bar:

20150322_144109.jpg

I also bought a set of 95# magnets from Matt (mm2k5) and drilled the lip of the frame that typically allows a Whelen mounting system to slide in, and attached the magnets there. To stabilize the large magnets, I attached rubber feet (like on the bottom of a TV or computer monitor) that sit against the base of the bar. When tightened down they were very sturdy and they sit perfect on the roof of my truck.

20150322_154703.jpg

20150322_151804.jpg

So I made it this far! I had to purchase dome screws, Whelen wants $2.25 a PIECE! I found them (#10x1 3/4" ss) at Home Depot for $2.50 for all 8, and I used tiny O-rings for a seal at the head of the screws to the dome. I have to obtain another dome still ($80!!!) and a flasher. I need a deal on a ulf44 or justice or maybe even responder flasher! I am expecting the corners to show up this week, and I will update when I get to work on it again. I know its not a big fancy Boulder project, but I haven't seen many (or any?) Justice projects with actual modification around here so I figured I would make y'all a little thread.
20150322_154655.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I got the corners in from Brian (wilsonbr90) today, they look great! I modified them and the bar to make it so they fit where I want but I got called off to work so I will have to postpone the pictures and such until tomorrow. I am excited though, its coming together!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Update Time:

Finally got the corners trimmed down and 'L' brackets made. I had to cut more off the reflectors that originally planned but it still worked out well. I made the L brackets from basic metal I had laying around, and secured the brackets to the justice plates with VHB tape, then attached the lightheads to the brackets the same way. Also, Matt (mm2k5) cut me a sweet deal on a Responder flasher with harness, so that is on the way!

Pictures:
Mount plate tab that I had to trim, so the corner back would sit flush to the plate

20150330_185907.jpg

Corner against plate, resting in place. There was also some plastic standoffs on the base pieces I had to trim down but I didnt get pics of

20150331_161745.jpg

Pictures of trimmed corners
20150331_161752.jpg
20150331_161801.jpg

Pictures of the brackets attached, and the corners in
20150331_191423.jpg

20150331_191538.jpg

20150331_191519.jpg

20150331_192359.jpg

Thats all for now, I have to trim the corners near the alley positions a little more, as the domes have inner supports that are interfering with progress. Otherwise, flasher/harness should be in by the weekend, and I can finally make it look like something!

Thanks for checking out my build, even though its not a fancy crazy build! :cool:

firemedic105

Jun 2, 2010
East Coast of Canada
Looking great bud.  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Reactions: 7d9_z28

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Responder flasher arrived today! Once I figure out which connector goes where I will get more pics. I will have to have someone else make a video for me, my phone camera does NOT record flashing lights very well.

Also ordered my other dome from P1 today, Holly was very helpful and they had the best price I could find!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Responder flasher arrived today! Once I figure out which connector goes where I will get more pics. I will have to have someone else make a video for me, my phone camera does NOT record flashing lights very well.

Also ordered my other dome from P1 today, Holly was very helpful and they had the best price I could find!
Try here...?

And just in case you need it...

http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14106.pdf

Can't wait to see more progress...  Looks good my man...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Yeah I have the manual and all, but I had the heads in the bar already so I was just trying combos until I got to the rotator pattern and it looked like something. Its all done except the dome!

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
WAITING FOR MY DOME!!! Whelen is killing me!!!

Responder flasher is in, primary pattern is the 250FPM rotator pattern, secondary pattern is the 120FPM rotator pattern. I picked the rotator patterns for four reasons:

1.) I like them.

2.) This bar will be in use for private drive plowing, and rare occasions will be used at work (building maintenance at a LARGE apartment complex) never any sort of 'response' or blocking highways, so I did not need a large footprint type pattern. The rear work lights do not flash, so the 6 head flasher was a great match.

3.) The Flasher is designed for the layout of 6 heads in a responder, so the alternating patterns would be half and half in a Responder. In the justice, the layout is different, so none of those patterns looked right. The front right corner and both CON3 would flash, followed by the front left corner/rear left corner/rear right corner. It didn't look good.

4.) I like them.

Here it sits, waiting for the last piece of the puzzle. Once I get the dome, I will make a couple of videos with a decent camera, I promise. I have made a couple light videos with MY phone in the last couple days, and its a $250 potato.

20150407_184425.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Looking good man...  

Are the rear work lights going to be on a toggle, or hooked up to your revers lights, or hooked up to your cab lights...?  All of the above, none of the above...?  lol  

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I am going to wait and see what they look like on the roof before I make those decisions. More than likely they will just have their own switch on my PCC10, I have sort of been playing with wiring layout for the switchbox and my truck today to figure out what will be where and when it will do what...

I need more lights and wire! And money!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Its missing a dome and filmed with my $250 potato, but heres where its at... (volume down, its just my lazy ass breathing...)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Looking good!!!!!

1st test of flasher is a success.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I just emailed Holly at P1 today to see if there were any updates about my dome (coming direct from Whelen) and she said its an estimated ship date of APRIL 30!!!!! That's a month from the day I ordered it!

Holy crap Whelen, get it together! Good thing this dome isn't for an active patrol car! :sadcry:

Wonder if saran wrap would make a good temporary dome...... (Im kidding)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
That blows man...  Maybe they over estimated, and you'll get it at least a little quicker...  I find it odd that they don't have some around since its one of their newer bars...  Damn you Mother W!!!  LoL

Reactions: wilsonbr90

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
You're tellin' me! If its all made in the US, at their place, then how damn long does it take to fire up the dome machine and pop one good one out?!?! I feel like ordering a chinese KO of the justice would get here faster, from China.

Oh well, my luck... I get this close and SOMETHING has to hold it off...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Well, managed some better Videos. For some reason, embedded they only allow up to 720. If you watch on youtube they are 1080!

This shows both patterns

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Emailed Whelen today asking WTF is up with their shipping delay.

"I show over 800 of these items in stock on our warehouse.  I would contact Priority One for a status update on the order as we are not allowed to divulge private account information to end users.  Sometimes the computer estimated dates are not always correct."

I responded telling them that I HAVE been in contact with P1, and it still showed as an open order. Haven't gotten a response to that. But seriously, OVER 800 MINI JUSTICE DOMES ON A SHELF SOMEWHERE, and I cant get a single damn one sent to me in a reasonable time? Bad Whelen, very bad....

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
OMFG, FINALLY PROGRESS ON THEIR END! I contacted Holly via email telling her what Whelen had told me (above) and she replied saying she had her boss contact their rep, who then assured them my dome would FINALLY SHIP TODAY! I should expect to see it in 2-3 days! I was sooooo happy when I read that a damn near poo'd myself.

I WANT TO FINALLY FINISH THIS BAR! Then I can finally get a real video and get it on the truck!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
So much for progress. Dome Watch 2015 is disappointing. Day 26 and no dome, no information as to where the dome is, and no idea when it will be here.

My first and last purchase from Whelen, as this is just insane.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Dealing with Whelen has been the most painful experience I have had with any company in my life. Everything was slow, never got any answers, I was lied to, and even when it finally shipped 'expedited', it went ups ground and is taking forever to get here. As of Saturday morning around 3am, the package arrived one town north of me, roughly 20 minutes... and sat there. I called them and asked if I could just pick it up myself there since its so close, but they said 'It is still in a container and wont be available for pickup/delivery until Monday. BS. ITS 20 MINUTES AWAY FROM ME AND I STILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MONDAY!

Had I known a month ago it would be this flippin' ridiculous of an event to obtain this dome, I would have bought a used Justice with a good dome, and parted the rest out on here. It would have been worth it to avoid all of this. This was my first NEW purchase from Whelen, and it is my last. If I cant build what I need to based on the used market, I will figure something else out. I like Whelens products but its not worth the hassle to deal with them again.

Reactions: tsquale

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
I think Whelen had a shortage of boxes or something.  I ordered two amber wide-lens ION's in March.  I finally got them Friday.

Usually they are pretty quick, I ordered a pair of amber LR11's for my Mini Justice and had them in a week. :\

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Whelen can eat a.... Nevermind.

Well, the dome finally arrived today. Its been so long, that I don't feel as enthusiastic as I should to finally have my bar done and on the truck. But nevertheless, I am happy with the final product and ready to put it to good use! I have a couple pictures here and a couple videos, one right when it went on the truck and one a little more in the shade. I will get a night video with the rear work lights when it gets dark out!

I would like to thank Patrick and Holly at P1 for dealing with me and I would like to formally apologize to my faithful chat friends who have tolerated me through this ever so difficult time in my life :lol:

Also, forgive the truck being a little dirty, Fiancee and I went fishing at a recreational park and, well, theres trails. Luckily I had a bunch of crap in the truck and the bed of it, or it would be much more on the dirty side.. And the videos are shaky, I refuse to use that stupid youtube anti shake crap. Turn your speakers down and watch them in 1080!

20150504_181724.jpg

20150504_181716.jpg

20150504_181702.jpg

Videos:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I like how it peeks over the CREE bar just enough...  Looks great man...  
Yeah thats what I was really hoping for, the Turbo Beam sort of looked like a drivers ed sign on the roof with the CREE bar there, the Justice blends well enough I think...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Night videos:

20150504_212322.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks guys, its been an awfully long road for such a small light!

I may have to put the diffuser bars back on the rear work lights, see if it does any better with 'useable' light.

I am also thinking of changing the secondary pattern, and syncing it to a ULF44 running the T6 and a pair of amber LEDx in the upper rear window on an X pattern. We will see......

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.