Custom Switch Box

ceavers30

Aug 8, 2011
USA PA
I want to build a custom switch box with 5 or 6 switches with the first Switch being a Master"All On" switch and the other switches still be able to operate independently from the master. Does anyone know how to wire this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Wire the switches in parallel instead of in series.

ceavers30

Aug 8, 2011
USA PA
Wire the switches in parallel instead of in series.

I know very little about little about electric work what does that mean?

blackcherryxj

Jan 1, 2011
Western Kentucky, USA
Basically, wire the output of the master switch, to the inputs of all of the "slave" switches. This only allows current to the slave switches when the master is on. I can probally take some pictures of the 7 switch panel I built in a couple days if you need a photo.

Paul

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
blackcherryxj said:
Basically, wire the output of the master switch, to the inputs of all of the "slave" switches. This only allows current to the slave switches when the master is on. I can probally take some pictures of the 7 switch panel I built in a couple days if you need a photo.

Paul
Actually, that's the opposite of what I was describing. That's a master off and is in series. This is a master on, in parallel.

On a new note, while this isn't what I was describing before but is something I drew up that's a much more practical setup. One SPTT as a master and as many SPDTs as you want to control stuff with. SPTT pole #1 to the closed pole of the SPDTs, SPTT pole #2 to the open poles of the SPDTs, and pole #3 of the SPTT is unused. This allows the SPTT to be used as a master on (position 1), select (position 2), or master off (position 3) with minimal complexity.

Here:

ai.imgur.com_CNSqd.jpg

Thread has long been dead, but EDIT:

It does not require diodes. It could be done better with one diode, but what is drawn does not require diodes.

Last edited by a moderator:

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Makes sense,

You can use diodes but it'd require relays to operate. What you have would work but would require the master to be a two position switch with an off position like you have. There's a toggle switch that does offer an "off-on1-on2" rather than the common "on-off-on" configuration.

Two choices, build your own with switches that offers two positions or build your own using diodes with relays but you'd still need the master to be a two position switch.

ceavers30

Aug 8, 2011
USA PA
I have 1 on-off-on switch for master and 4 lighted on-off switches how do I wire it? If you have a diagram that would be great.

Thanks

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Wire the individual switches to relays. Because the relays are doing all the work, the switches does not have to be heavy duty.

From the "all on" position of the master switch, wire them each individually to the same circuit that is between the individual switches and the relay. For each individual wire, put a diode with the band side towards the circuit. Think of the diodes as a one-way valve with the band side indicating the side the current flows out of. Switching the master "all on" will trigger all relays regardless of the individual switch settings by flowing the current through the individual diodes to each relay. With the individual switches used, the current won't flow back up towards the master switch.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
EVModules said:
Wire the individual switches to relays. Because the relays are doing all the work, the switches does not have to be heavy duty.

From the "all on" position of the master switch, wire them each individually to the same circuit that is between the individual switches and the relay. For each individual wire, put a diode with the band side towards the circuit. Think of the diodes as a one-way valve with the band side indicating the side the current flows out of. Switching the master "all on" will trigger all relays regardless of the individual switch settings by flowing the current through the individual diodes to each relay. With the individual switches used, the current won't flow back up towards the master switch.

Sean, you're better at this than me and I'm tired, but couldn't he use a SPTT for the master and use SPST ON-ON switches for the outputs?

ceavers30

Aug 8, 2011
USA PA
EVModules said:

Sean

Do you have some kind of diagram? Im still confused on the relay thing?

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
You can use an on/off/on just as well as any SPTT. In fact many on/off/on are actually SPTT (but don't have a #2 throw), I don't see what's so hard about this.

Yes relays would work, but that's unnecessarily complex given the potential load. The fewer components the better. Remember to get a master that is rated well higher than the maximum total load.

Oh and as for fuses, fuse each line individually (haw/radio/bar/takedowns etc) not just the master.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.