Custom Whelen Liberty - Version 2

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I love the rebuilt with Solaris heads, and the steady burn front mod & rear amber wigwag mods make it that much better!
I've always had the front center steady head...  I just changed it from a CON-3 to a LIN-6.  I've also always had the rear ambers as well...  

franken bar LOVE IT
You should buy my truck...  lol

Reactions: foxtrot5
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
In theory, I can "Y" the ground, running one to the Alley Light Ground and the other to the Corner Module Ground. Then tie the White Primary Activation to the Alley Power, and the Blue Secondary Activation to the Corner Module Power. I believe that will work, but it will have to wait until I attain some diodes... I thought I had some, but I was unable to find them...
OK, in a stroke of good luck, I was able to find my diodes...  Now, I'm not that keen on diodes and the such, so I have a quick inquiry...  

I know that when using a diode on the power side, it needs to "point" towards the device...  But when using a diode on the ground side, it would need to "point" away from the device...  Am I correct on this logic...?  

I'll be working on this tomorrow night, so if all goes well I should have another video up...  I guess I'm on V2.6 now...?  lol

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
The doide needs to "point" in the direction you want the "flow" of electricty to go. If you're familiar with plumbing, it's similar in nature to a check-valve.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
OK, now I'm stuck and in need of some assistance...  

Apparently my theory wasn't 100% correct... 

I made my "Y" using 2 IN5407 diodes.  I hooked the power for the alley to the Red wire, and connected one side of the ground.  But once I connected the other side of the ground to the front corner, the alley lit up (without it being activated) and since the alley is the primary, I can get the Cannon to flash with the corner...  Am I doing something wrong here...?  

Any help would be appreciated...  

Edit:

As of right now, I can make my Cannons function as EITHER Alley Lights, OR Warning Lights, but not BOTH...  I'd really like to have them function as both...  If Not, I'll see if I can set my SOS Mini LED3s to steady and tie them into the corner heads...  

Last edited by a moderator:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The Cannon has no way to know which source of ground is switched on, as it has only one ground wire.  +12v DC is always present on both the alley light positive wire and on the corner module positive wire in the Liberty.

So whenever either ground comes on, the Cannon sees ground, and sees power on both its secondary positive input and on its primary positive input.  Primary overrides secondary, so your alley function comes on.

As you alluded to earlier, the Liberty I/O board does its switching is done on the ground side.  In order to make the Cannon work in your application, you'll need to use a relay.  I'll try and whip up a diagram for you.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The Cannon has no way to know which source of ground is switched on, as it has only one ground wire.  +12v DC is always present on both the alley light positive wire and on the corner module positive wire in the Liberty.

So whenever either ground comes on, the Cannon sees ground, and sees power on both its secondary positive input and on its primary positive input.  Primary overrides secondary, so your alley function comes on.

As you alluded to earlier, the Liberty I/O board does its switching is done on the ground side.  In order to make the Cannon work in your application, you'll need to use a relay.  I'll try and whip up a diagram for you.
I was hoping I could get away with using diodes, but I guess not...  lol  I guess it need a tad more isolation than that...  lol 

Thanks for the assistance shues!!!

Edit:

Is a relay going to be quick acting enough...?  My plan was to tie it into the opposite corner light so the corners and Cannon flash opposite of each other...  

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You'll need two relays per Cannon in order to make them do what you're looking for.  The diagram shows a 5-pin relay, but 4-pin relays (without the 87A terminal) will work for this application.

Start by removing your diodes and connecting your Cannon's ground wire directly to a constant ground.

The following is a diagram I borrowed from the12volt.com, on their page that explains how to convert a ground input to a positive output:

awww.the12volt.com_12voltimages_neg2pos.gif

Your "alley" relay will have a ground input (green in the diagram) from the Liberty alley light plug's ground wire and a positive output (blue in the diagram) to the Cannon's primary positive wire.

Your "warning" relay will have a ground input (green in the diagram) from the Liberty corner module plug's ground wire and a positive output (blue in the diagram) to the Cannon's secondary positive wire.

I believe that there is a way to make this work using your diode Y and only one 5-pin relay, but that would be still more complex and probably more confusing.

Is a relay going to be quick acting enough...?  My plan was to tie it into the opposite corner light so the corners and Cannon flash opposite of each other...  
Your vehicle's horn probably uses a relay.  Do you notice any delay from when you press the horn button on the steering wheel to when you hear the horn?  While there is a delay, the delay is so minor that it's not really noticeable.

Reactions: Retired1
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
You'll need two relays per Cannon in order to make them do what you're looking for.  The diagram shows a 5-pin relay, but 4-pin relays (without the 87A terminal) will work for this application.

Start by removing your diodes and connecting your Cannon's ground wire directly to a constant ground.

The following is a diagram I borrowed from the12volt.com, on their page that explains how to convert a ground input to a positive output:

awww.the12volt.com_12voltimages_neg2pos.gif

Your "alley" relay will have a ground input (green in the diagram) from the Liberty alley light plug's ground wire and a positive output (blue in the diagram) to the Cannon's primary positive wire.

Your "warning" relay will have a ground input (green in the diagram) from the Liberty corner module plug's ground wire and a positive output (blue in the diagram) to the Cannon's secondary positive wire.

I believe that there is a way to make this work using your diode Y and only one 5-pin relay, but that would be still more complex and probably more confusing.

Your vehicle's horn probably uses a relay.  Do you notice any delay from when you press the horn button on the steering wheel to when you hear the horn?  While there is a delay, the delay is so minor that it's not really noticeable.
Thanks man...  I'll have to try this tomorrow since my relays and such are at the house...  My concern with the delay is the the fact of using the corner module to supply the flash pattern, therefor syncing the heads...  But I guess the flash pattern comes from the positive side of the harness...  Now I just have to find a way to tie into the main power of the bar for the relays since I don't want to run a wire up to the bar for this...  lol

Thanks again shues!!!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Thanks man...  I'll have to try this tomorrow since my relays and such are at the house...  My concern with the delay is the the fact of using the corner module to supply the flash pattern, therefor syncing the heads...  But I guess the flash pattern comes from the positive side of the harness...  Now I just have to find a way to tie into the main power of the bar for the relays since I don't want to run a wire up to the bar for this...  lol

Thanks again shues!!!
I'm happy to help.

The flash pattern comes from the ground side of the harness. That's what ground side switching means.

The positive side is constant. The ground side is pulsed by the I/O board to make the flash pattern.

I hope this clears things up.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I'm happy to help.

The flash pattern comes from the ground side of the harness. That's what ground side switching means.

The positive side is constant. The ground side is pulsed by the I/O board to make the flash pattern.

I hope this clears things up.
Ah, OK...  I thought the flash pattern was through the positive and the the ground was just activated when that set of heads was turned on...  

Edit:

OK, now I'm confused...  Just for S&Gs (Sh*ts & Giggles) I put my put my cannon ground to a constant ground (right off my power source) and put the activation wire on the positive side of one of the corner outputs, and it flashed as it should.  But when I tested it the opposite way (Ground of the Cannon to the ground of the Corner Output and separate power), it just turned on steady...  

So in using the relay conversion method, I don't think I'm going to achieve the desired result...  Or am I just missing something...?  I'm not too keen on electronics in this capacity...  lol  

Edit again:

Now I think I have it...  LoL

If I tie the Cannon into a constant ground, then tie the Secondary mode (Steady Blue) into the positive side of the corner module, then use the relay conversion for just the Alley Light opweration, I will get the desired result that I'm looking for...  (Cannon flashing blue opposite the corners and steady white for alley lights over-riding the warning mode)  

Edit once more:

Progress has been made...  I have the Cannons wired up for warning and they are good to go.  All I need to do is the relay polarity reversal for the Alley Light function and it will be complete...  But that will have to wait until tomorrow (later on today technically)...  lol  

Thanks again, shues, for your assistance...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I did the Relay Polarity Reversal, and got these all wired up.  And the work GREAT!!!  

Here's how I wired them:

- Ground from the Cannon, and tied it into the Ground of the opposite side Corner Module.

- Secondary Warning (Steady Blue) Activation wire and tied it into the Power of the opposite side Corner Module.

- Power Input for the relay and tied it into the Alley Light Power.

- Ground for the relay and tied it into the Ground for the Alley Light.

- Power Output from the relay and connected that to the Primary Mode (Steady White)

Now the Cannons flash blue opposite the corner modules they are next to and the white alley light over-rides the blue warning.  

*Added bonus:  You get a neat effect when you have the warning mode going and activate the Flashing TDs/Alleys...

And of course, a video...  lol

Now this bar is 100% Complete!!!  And I don't foresee any changes that will need to be done...  

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Glad the Cannons worked out and they look amazing in there!
Thanks.  I know that they won't be the best for an Alley light, but I have other plans for that...  lol

looks great bro

The rear looks great with the mix of Solaris and CON3s. Seriously great job.
Thanks bro...  I've always loved the CON-3s in the rear...  Now I cant wait to get a new vehicle to put it on...  lol

Reactions: Doug

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I do have another full frame and a mini frame just sitting around...  lol
That bar looks great and I love how you made the Cannon alley light mounts!

On a side note, I also have a batch of blue Solaris modules I'm looking to sell  ;)

Reactions: Doug
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I forgot to add pics of the Cannons installed...  lol

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projecc62eb4508b04f3bbcb5d6d8ed8dc81e1.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec48eae2bf43cc5d0a8f2d0749ed6c59a7.jpg

I had to bend/adjust the mount itself to have it sit "inside" the lightbar frame so the endcaps would seat/seal properly.  but it all works great...  

That bar looks great and I love how you made the Cannon alley light mounts!

On a side note, I also have a batch of blue Solaris modules I'm looking to sell  ;)
Thanks...  Do they come with the wiring pigtails...?  lol  

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ill take your other frame bouder. I hate my 2100 frame

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Yes I have the wiring pigtails for all. I can get a count exactly, I think there's at least a dozen there.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So, today while I was home alone and bored, I decided to do a test on my alley light mod, just to see how well they lit up the area...  And I'm VERY please with the outcome...  

*** Note:  I did this test in the middle of the day in my garage with the doors closed, but there is still a good amount of light coming in through the windows...  I may do this test again at night later on...  ***

Passenger's Side Alley Off:

Right Alley Off.jpg

Passenger's Side Alley On:

Right Alley On.jpg

Driver's Side Alley Off:

Left Alley Off.jpg

Driver's Side Alley On:

Left Alley On.jpg

And, of course, a vid...

They look nice together in the garage too...  lol

Camaro H3.jpg

Attachments

• Camaro Liberty Front.jpg
    Camaro Liberty Front.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Camaro Liberty Rear.jpg
    Camaro Liberty Rear.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 33

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
DUDE!!! Light up the Camaro!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well, t looks like all this work was kinda for nothing...  lol  Ends up i'm NOT going to use this on my new vehicle...  

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.