cutting all power to accessories with ignition switch

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
What can i use to cut the main power off to all my radios and accessories with the ignition? Could i use a starter silinoid?

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
I am referring to my main power wire coming in from the battery to my junction. I am about to get a new pov with taxes and would like to shut it all down when the truck cuts off, that way when get back to the station from a call my battery isn't dead. I will be running 8 to 10 gauge fused to a junction powering 3 radios, my lights and sirens. I figure 25 amps is more than enough. I just want to kill all the power at once instead of 5 different relays. could someone point me in the direction of a single relay that will hold that kind of power. Also remember guys not everyone is stupid cause they have a question. I know what a relay is, and how to hook one up, I am just inexperienced in relays over 10 to 15 amps. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
You need a continous duty solenoid. Just a do a quick google search and you can find numerous suppliers.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere

OVERKILL

Jan 27, 2012
hamilton ontario canada
arent standrd automotive relays rated for 30 or 40 amps or go to your local auto parts store and get a 100% duty cycle solenoid they are about 40 bucks and in most cases can handle up to if not more a hundred amps

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.