Cutting LAW base?

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
I just got a 2011 Silverado, and I'd like to mount LAWs in the cargo lights, but still have them function normally. I've PM'd some people who said they took out the regular bulbs and just mounted the LAWs. I was looking yesterday, and it looks like there's just over an inch to mount a bulb. I could mount a HAW tube, but would really like an LAW. Could I take an LAW head and cut part of the base off so it'll fit on the cargo light housing? Like this:

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h198_emsdispatcher1_Vertex_1.jpg

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
I'm not sure about cutting the base, but have a different thought for you. If your LAW's are white, why couldn't you use a sho-me STT flasher unit and wire it so when you turn on your cargo light it'll turn on the STT brake function. Then when wire the warning light function to your switch box. Just a thought I had for doing the same thing.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
I've cut strobe HAW's like that before without a problem, actually cut them for the same reason, for putting them in my chmsl on my 08 GMC. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with LAW's. That is a really nice place to have some HAW's or LAW's I got a lot of compliments on mine.

Good Luck!

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I guess what I would worry about is the potential for over heating. The base is being used to draw heat away from the unit and if you're taking some of that away it means it's going to run hotter. If removing a small section is enough to cause problems is beyond my knowledge but I would still worry about it none the less.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
I see two issues.

1. As code60a mentioned, cutting the base is also cutting the heatsink, so potential for more heat build up.

2. Cutting the heatsink on any HAL will more than likely void the warranty, so any issues down the road you would have to buy a new HAL.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
car54 said:
I'm not sure about cutting the base, but have a different thought for you. If your LAW's are white, why couldn't you use a sho-me STT flasher unit and wire it so when you turn on your cargo light it'll turn on the STT brake function. Then when wire the warning light function to your switch box. Just a thought I had for doing the same thing.

I've done this before, not with vertex's though,i did them with SOS undcovers and it worked great!

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
Thanks guys for the input. It probably won't be Vertexes, it was the best picture I found to explain what I wanted to do.

I thought about the problem with losing part of the heatsink, but for the length of time they'll be on at any one time, I'm not too concerned about heat build up. I'll probably go with either the SOS Universal LAWs or Strobes N' More's LAW (or Pimp's).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RETFFMedic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.