CVPI Reverse lights Strobe install suggestions?

TX-LEO

May 24, 2010
San Antonio
Anyone done one of these in a 2003 or so model? I have a couple un-used plugs on my 90w strobe power supply and want to stuff a couple in the reverse lights to supplement the ones in the brake lights.

Anywhere in particular they should be placed, or not placed? Any tips appreciated. I'd like to get some pointers before I Take apart my rear trunk to know what I'm getting into :mrgreen:

Respondcode3 said:
take off the rear facia. Dril the hole `1 inch hole in the top of the lights closest to the liscense plate. Ive done a ton and never melted a lens.

Got it. Mainly wanted to avoid putting them too close to the plastic lens.

There are a bunch of nuts that line the bottom of the trunk lid and the edges near the taillights. Take those off and take off the license plate light tab. Then you take your reverse light bulbs out and the whole light housing will fall off. I've installed strobes below and above the reverse light and melted the back of the housing in both locations with a 6-90 power supply. Don't think I ever melted the lens itself though.

mcpd2025 said:
There are a bunch of nuts that line the bottom of the trunk lid and the edges near the taillights. Take those off and take off the license plate light tab. Then you take your reverse light bulbs out and the whole light housing will fall off. I've installed strobes below and above the reverse light and melted the back of the housing in both locations with a 6-90 power supply. Don't think I ever melted the lens itself though.

Damnit. I dont want melted housings. Well, mostly the HAW system is used when I'm moving, and is not used a heck of a lot.

Melting is only one of the problems.

If you run them for awhile like at a scene, and the tubes are hot, then slam your trunk.

Poof, bulbs are wrecked. (Utica, MI PD had this problem alot)

And the reflectors crack, and when it rains they fill up with water.

I have strobes in my 1998 CVPI, but never slam my trunk, and only use them maybe 2-3 times a year (car shows)

I would suggest going LED in that place.

And when I installed them I always picked the top towards the license plate recess.

Ive had cars that are 3-5 years old that have the original tubes in the reverse lights. They have never melted or blown out. These are patrol cars that are used on a daily basis. We always use a 660 or 690 for the reverse/brake lights

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381