CVPI+Tree+Rain=Ouch

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
ai235.photobucket.com_albums_ee99_jay911_50_hamsexy_yNxjP.jpg

SM Police Officer Recovering After Horrific Crash

SANTA MARIA – Not much is left of a Santa Maria Police cruiser after it was wrapped around a tree early Sunday morning.

The powerful impact nearly split the squad car in two stopping just short of the officer sitting behind the wheel.

"That car is the worst police traffic collision I have seen here at this police department in 35 years", says SMPD Chief Dan Macagni.

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
:eek: :shock: That's crazy.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Doug said:
Oh, that's nothing that won't buff out.

Seriously, hope the officer recovers quickly and fully.

+1

The officer should also invest in a few lotto tickets when he/she can.. :shock:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
And if anyone can get the rough speed, please post it, I want to use this for ambulance driver training classes.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Brothers and sisters..... SLOW DOWN!!! Most of us are guilty of driving like idiots at some point in our career, but thankfully we have all gotten away with it those far. We lose too many officers every year to motor vehicle collisions. Some are unavoidable, but many are avoidable.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
The article says the car was hit by a possible drunk driver (I'm assuming that person was arrested) which cause the squad to crash.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
RolnCode3 said:
The article says the car was hit by a possible drunk driver (I'm assuming that person was arrested) which cause the squad to crash.
I Don't see that info anywhere in the article..??

I do see the news company reporting two separate incidents in the same news report thou.. wtf?

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
unlisted said:

I do see the news company reporting two separate incidents in the same news report thou.. wtf?
They kept jumping back and forth between the 2 in the video too.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
Did not know a Ford would hold up that good :eek: . Really good thing that was not a 2 officer car ,as I think if there was a passenger there would have been a fatility .stay safe .

mfaith91

May 23, 2010
Kentucky
Funny... I just saw a bumper sticker that said "God is my CoPilot". If that was the case in that cruiser... I'm sure he Shart his britches! LOL

Mike

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
He had to be doing at least 90 daanng that was a crazy crash thank god he is ok

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Just rained, streets were slick, and for some "unknown reason" he loses it. :roll:

I'm glad he'll be OK, but stupid hurts. You don't really appreciate a coefficient of friction until it's zero. And it isn't how fast that kills you, it's how fast you stop.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
I wonder if he was charged with anything, or disciplined? The driver would be hit with endangering traffic if that happened here.

cory y

May 21, 2010
well at lease this officer figured out a way to cut down on the turning radius of the CV... well to the right anyway...

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
unlisted said:

I don't see it anymore. The article stated that the officer was returning to the office from a call and was struck by a suspected drunk driver. Maybe it was a different incident.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
mfaith91 said:
Funny... I just saw a bumper sticker that said "God is my CoPilot". If that was the case in that cruiser... I'm sure he Shart his britches! LOL

Mike

Shart? That's a full on "Code Brown."

D

Donslockkey

This is what he was doing at the time of the crash.

"Macagni says Officer Damon Badnell was responding to a call for help from another officer on foot chasing a burglary suspect in the north end of town."

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
This is how we lost our last officer.... responding code 3 to assist another officer on a large fight. I will never second guess the decision on a dead officer who was hauling tail to help another officer, but we need to realize that if we never get there.... we aren't helping anyone. Know your beat, know your roads, know your car and know your limitations.

Be safe and get to the call. You are much better getting their 30 seconds later than never at all.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Excellent mcpd2025!!!!

norcalbusa

May 23, 2010
California
[Broken External Image]:http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=323648&d=1279244049

Sunday was a busy day for the members of the Santa Maria Police Department, starting with a police chase that resulted in a stolen car crashing into a first grade classroom of a local school. But that's not where this amazing crash happened.

Hours later, Officer Damon Badnell was responding to an officer involved in a foot pursuit of a burglary suspect when he lost control of his vehicle on a slippery road. The momentum wrapped the vehicle around the tree, nearly bisecting the Ford Crown Victoria.

Officer Badnell, who recently was awarded for stopping the most drunk drivers, has a few broken bones but doctors are hopeful about his recovery.

So- what kind of lightbar is that?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Stendec said:
And it isn't how fast that kills you, it's how fast you stop.
True. A Smart ForTwo, for example, has no crumple zones - it doesn't crumple when it crashes, it just stops. The car doesn't have any significant deformation in a crash, so people inside then gets tossed around like a bean in a tin can.

spike91

Jun 11, 2010
New York
nerdly_dood said:
True. A Smart ForTwo, for example, has no crumple zones - it doesn't crumple when it crashes, it just stops. The car doesn't have any significant deformation in a crash, so people inside then gets tossed around like a bean in a tin can.

The good thing about the smart cars is that you save money on the coffins. No need, you just get buried in the car, after the crash its probably about the same size anyways.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.