Dallas PD Liberty Question

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Well I was watching Police Woman of Dallas, and I noticed they are using liberty's. Now I am wonder, are they using Wecan version of them? Cause the flash pattern setup they have done seem to be regular liberty patters. Also does anyone have any videos of them? Thanks

yeah they are wecan liberties

the patterns that are usually used at signal-alert corners, the rear is modu-scan, the fronts vary from modu-scan to the centers on signallert and the outboards steady, to the front all signal-alert.

the but the back of the bar is reversed in colors

usually they are set up like this

front (driver to passenger) red corner, red outboard, led TD, red center, blue center, led td, blue outboard, blue corner

LED alley lights

rear (driver to passenger) blue corner, blue, blue, blue, red, red, red, red corner

the corner lights flash in an X pattern so the front driver flashes with rear passenger and front passenger with rear driver

Keep in mind that Dallas just changed to whelen during the 2nd / 3rd quarters this year. John Wright and Associates did the installs on the new fleet of cars so far.

ill see what i can do. I have the wecan program, and know a couple of DPD officers, ill see if i can get a flash.

WireKing said:
Keep in mind that Dallas just changed to whelen during the 2nd / 3rd quarters this year. John Wright and Associates did the installs on the new fleet of cars so far.

You sure about that?

the cars come from Dallas Dodge, they are from the factory all white, the black is added by a body shop in Garland, then the cars are sent to Rockwall to have the partition, pushbumper and LINz6's added.

Dallas tends to do their own installs

Yea, somewhere along the line JW got involved. They might be sending the cars to Wildfire, which John's brother owns.

I had seen with my own two eyes the new JW lot in Arlington (at there new location where the Arlington star telegram used to be) stuffed full of black and whites with Dallas on the sides. Maybe I should have my vision checked, but I'm pretty sure they were there.

This was a few months ago however.

John wright is doing the light bar installs. Dallas pd went to whelen bars in 2007. A few officers have changed the patterns but brass said no more. The city make ready does the radio, mdc, cam, and cen com.

Just saw the police women show. The lightbars on some of the the Chargers are mounted behind the B pillars and angled up in an odd direction. Looks stupid. Is there some problem with the mounting brackets scraping the door frame? They have the back doors closing onto the brackets. Move 'em up some!

Flash patterns with the steady burn blue and red to the front are cool though.

I just also watched the program and I noticed that some officers didnt wear their seatbelts. Not sure if its the law in Texas or their SOPs require seatbelt usage, but at the speeds they were traveling at, it didnt seem wise to not wear one. Their lightbar setup did seem interesting, I have never seen steady burn like that with the rest flashing. They sure do have nice equipment, and also noticed that the show made them put tape over the dodge emblem on the steering wheel.

nice equipment? haha they are using specialy secected equipment for the filming. use damn sure probably arnt going to see them rolling around in the old ratty crown vics or the 05 era impalas.

seatbelts? ha

GO makes seatbelts mandatory for dpd. The dingy partners removed their headrests. Overall the show is a running joke within.

Remember most of what you see in the car is staged and used over and over to fill in. We do not run code 3 very often - only to assists, shootings, cuttings and things like that. We are starting to relax that very restrictive policy but almost never go code 3 to disturbances unless there is amplifying information that would justify it. As for the seatbelts, they are probably not wearing the seat belt because it was not the actual response but then I am not sure what you saw. You will see the same streets over and over for the response scenes.

I was told by the fleet rep at Dallas Dodge the old Fleet LT came up with the program for the lights and has them program all the new ones from that disc.

On our new 09 unmarkeds, some idiot decided to go with a splt lense single whelen led mounted right in front of the driver - stupid (we move them ourselves. Then they mount two similar lights (1 red & 1 blue) in the rear deck but the idiots did not synch them. You see about 20 different patterns from CA steady red to steady blue, to no blue at all. Very poor QC by the installers. I don't like the linz6 mounted onto the back of the trunklid of the B&W's- seems needless to drill holes when you have read deck lights and could mount them on a LP bracket.

One final note, Beth is the only good cop out of the bunch - the rest are scary from I watched. Gotta love theatrics!

ffjwhite said:
Cory, any chance on the Wecan file yet?

still working on it. i dont always have my laptop and cables with me when i see my DPD buddy... and when i do have my stuff hes driving an older impala with an MX7k or a newer imp with an MX.

Kind of an old thread, but I'll throw my .02 in not that it matters any....

The Impalas with Liberties use a variety of flash patterns. This seemed to be an "experimentation" phase.

There are a few Code 3 RX2700s controlled by a Code 3 RLS. Not really sure where these came from. The department had a bunch of different LED lightbars on some 05 and 06 cars, bought a bunch of Liberties, then a few RX2700s popped up, and then back to all Liberties.

The most "current" flash pattern on more or less all the Chargers... this is seen on most 08s, 09, and 10 cars. Corners - SignalAlert alternating between the red and blue module, Front outboards - Steady burn, Front inboards - SingleFlash 300 alternating between the red and blue module, Rear - Don't know the name, but it scans through a variety of flash patterns. The rear pattern has never changed from the first liberties. On a few 08s, the pattern had corners on ComAlert and all front LEDs would change to SingleFlash 300 alternating red and blue when the Cencom switch was moved to position 3. Alley lights flash, but the takedowns do not. "Current" TA function is sequence on - sequence off.

07 Chargers have strobes in the headlights and taillights. A SoundOff Dual Predator on the rear deck.

08 Chargers have strobes in the headlights and reverse lights. A SoundOff Dual Predator or Two single Whelen Avengers on the rear deck that are not synced.

09 Chargers change the strobes to Vertexes in the headlights and reverse lights. The few times I've seen these around, the rear Vertexes are red and the front are white. A split LINZ6 was added to each side of the push bumper.

10 Chargers with the blue and white color have the same lights as the 09 Chargers.

10 Chargers with the black and white color do not have anything in the headlights or reverse lights. Two forward facing, split LINZ6s were added to the push bumper for a total of four. These are synced so that they all flash red and blue at the same time. Two, split LINZ6s were also added to the trunk. These are synced so that each would flash the opposite color of the other one. Siren speaker was moved from the push bumper to inside the grill.

Headlight and taillight flashers may or may not work on various cars. Some cars have weird/random variations. I saw one car with the rear Avengers synced with SingleFlash 300. I like the 09/10 Charger blue and white equipment configuration the best. Really curious what the 2011 MY fleet will look like.

Last edited by a moderator:
HiLO-

Saw what I thought was a Malibu at the radio shop w/ an LED on it - not sure what city dept it belongs to, definitely not police. Go see if you can ID it.....

Not a malibu but a hybrid fusion going go aviation is what that is. Beavo, no 2011 marked cars, after that 2 more years of chargers is what I have heard. However, Chevy is said to courting Dallas hard with the caprice.

HILO said:
Not a malibu but a hybrid fusion going go aviation is what that is. Beavo, no 2011 marked cars, after that 2 more years of chargers is what I have heard. However, Chevy is said to courting Dallas hard with the caprice.

Wow, my station is already hurting for cars. Sometimes, there are only about 15 cars left on the lot. Not sure how they expect that to last until 2012 unless we still have a bunch more B&Ws sitting around.

Wow, great video Beavo! I'd be interested in seeing the rest of the car too but that's a good start. Now are those Patriot takedowns? Looks like it. Spendy! I'm really surprised that the takedowns aren't utilized at all in the flash sequence. Seems like a waste. Other than that, looks pretty good.

Dallas's Liberties are a crapshoot on what kind of takedowns/alleys

some have the single MR11 halogens, some have the dual MR11's some have single LR11 LED takedowns, some have Double LR11's some have the 500 series halogens, some have the 12 diode 500 series TD's (pictured in video) the ones pictured are just insanely bright

The main configurations for the older lightbars are MR11s for takedowns and alleys. Newer lightbars have the takedowns you see in the video and LR11 alleys. Sirennet lists them as Whelen Liberty Super High Intensity Take Down lights and yes those suckers are bright. They're even blinding in daylight if they are pointed directly at you.

Any variants are probably "test" lightbars. One particular oddball had 2 MR11 takedowns with 5 front modules (instead of the normal 4).

The cars with the flash pattern shown do not use flashing TDs, but do use flashing alleys. "Older" flash patterns do use flashing TDs.

The safety committee has long been anti flashing td. An officer will lose points in pvoc if take downs and ally lights are turned on. Once it was noticed that td and al were flashing, the feature was banned, and cars with them are supposed to be changed at the radio shop.

HILO said:
The safety committee has long been anti flashing td. An officer will lose points in pvoc if take downs and ally lights are turned on. Once it was noticed that td and al were flashing, the feature was banned, and cars with them are supposed to be changed at the radio shop.

That's the first I've heard about it. Our TDs flash when the pursuit switch is in position 3, same as the wig-wag headlights. Got any documentation on this anti-flashing TD stuff?

On all cars I've seen, including brand new 2010 cars, the alleys still flash. Usually a slow single flash, but on the newest cars, they are a fast single flash. They only flash with the CenCom on position 3.

Edit to add... this is a slow flash Liberty.

AggiePhil said:
That's the first I've heard about it. Our TDs flash when the pursuit switch is in position 3, same as the wig-wag headlights. Got any documentation on this anti-flashing TD stuff?

If you are dpd you already know not to turn on your td/ al when turning on the red lights. It was taught in pvoc and is in the go's. The reason goes back to a Chase where the suspect walked after saying she thought it was some person in a truck with off road lights. Chase was on tv tape and you could not see red lights beyond the take downs on the streethawk. As far as the flashing td lights go, the Lt. over the fleet said no to flashing td lights. Again, if you are dpd you know officers have no say in set up or patterns on patrol cars. Even A/I, swat, and others with better assigned cars are not supposed to alter equipment. 9000 badge?

HILO said:
If you are dpd you already know not to turn on your td/ al when turning on the red lights. It was taught in pvoc and is in the go's. The reason goes back to a Chase where the suspect walked after saying she thought it was some person in a truck with off road lights. Chase was on tv tape and you could not see red lights beyond the take downs on the streethawk. As far as the flashing td lights go, the Lt. over the fleet said no to flashing td lights. Again, if you are dpd you know officers have no say in set up or patterns on patrol cars. Even A/I, swat, and others with better assigned cars are not supposed to alter equipment. 9000 badge?

Oh, OK. Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to something that happened at that particular department. So common (and unfortunate) in our line of work. I myself have never heard of this case and I'm not that far from Dallas.

When you said "The safety committee...", I misread that as "The safety community..." If the "no flashing TDs" issue isn't something that has been documented outside of DPD, I'm not going to worry about it too much. I guess I can see the benefits of doing it at nighttime though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381