Darien (CT) FD: New Tahoe with Ghost Graphics

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Seen at the Mamaroneck Fireman's Parade and Carnival in Mamaroneck NY... Maybe too much?!?

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8024_7467702208_561388c000_z.jpg

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7260_7467702712_e16161feac_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8165_7467704760_a58bbd54b1_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8008_7467705128_e944785b10_z.jpg

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7269_7467724580_a7b867ee1d_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Why in the world would you use a black Tahoe with ghost graphics for a fire department vehicle? I thought the FDs were all about maximum visibility, not steath. Need to change those flash patterns on the grill lights too.

Reactions: Pimp

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
This isn't the first time I've seen a vehicle like this come out of CT... I think perhaps the reasoning is that for a take home vehicle, it's acceptable to have more lower profile graphics?

At least that's what I'm presuming.

(Oh course this is also the state that deploys its troopers with unmarked* sedans.)

I agree though with the other posters in this thread though... make that bad boy look like a firetruck... let the Chief drive around in that.

*Save for a lightbar.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I love it!! Also a lot of departments in Massachusett's have unmarked cars with no lightbars and the only markings are 2 very small shields on the front fender.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I personally think way to much to the front and rear. Lose the top set of grill lights, and move the bottom ones up then change the patterns on at least the grill and side lights; can't see the rear in video. Then if nothing else, re-letter a fire chiefs vehicle whether take home or something that sits in a station so that you can tell what it is. I've always hated fire department vehicles; whether a chief's car or other type of vehicle, having ghost lettering. It's one thing on a police car where you'd want it stealthy but also identifiable. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to identify a fire chief's vehicle as such.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I agree with the comments about the split fail and the graphics but at least the grille lights are sync'd. I like how they painted the SSV grey rims to match the truck- Tahoes with black rims look great; with light grey ones, not so much.

lafd04

Jul 14, 2010
CT
Could be a connection with Whelen, with the amount of lights on the truck it was a demo vehicle that got purchased or someone got a deal.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Absolutely ZERO justifiable reason a vehicle like that should be that color OR use Ghost Graphics!!

I will fully support the idea for Police Units who want to be "covert" but still marked etc etc....

A FIRE CHIEF vehicle that is BLACK and decreased visibility?? Fuck it!! Make their apparatus black and "low profile" too!! Why bother putting chevrons with alternating COLORS of high visibility like NEON green and red?? Make everything BLACK and just add more blinkies!!!! Tactical, it makes us COOLER!!! God forbid we practice what we preach about visibility and safety!!! Instead of taking a lighter colored vehicle and adding reasonable amount of warning and graphics, make a DARK vehicle and spend even MORE money to add those graphics and even MORE warning to overcome the lack of visibility!! WHY?!?!?! :Banghead: :Banghead:

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sidenote: Not a dig at the OP, a dig at the retards that think doing this kind of shit is a GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!

:rant:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ohh, i get it!!!

they use this to "sneak up" on the fire right?

:bonk:

Reactions: RescueWV

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
This is another example of having too much money to spend. Darien is known for their over the top trucks. Absolute overkill. There is enough lights to adequately equip two vehicles.

The graphics are just plain stupid. Why have gold and ghost graphics all over the truck. Ghost graphics on a FD Command vehicle is ridiculous. :bonk:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Zack said:
You're right! Let's go burn it down!

:D

(What else is a forum for, but to bitch about things we can't change?)

;)

:iagree: :goodpost: :postcount:

:popcorn:

firefighter39

May 31, 2012
natick, ma
twowayradiony said:
To each their own!!!

It doesn't affect me

I live in an area where we have Red,White,Grey,Purple,Blue,Yellow fire trucks!!

actually it does effect you, it's called tax payer money. And even if you are not a resident of that town or state there is federal money usually involved in foolish spending (ie. AFG, SAFER etc..) I have seen so many towns waste money on foolish trucks like this and then go apply for AFG grants that you and I pay for.

tecster

Dec 1, 2011
Connecticut
I live in Connecticut as well...

Enfield has 5 separate stations, and they have close to 15 different colors/types of command vehicles. A few are black.... they get the job done. Personally, color doesn't matter to me - as long as they respond and get the job done. They've NEVER had an accident resulting in any statement along the lines of "well I couldn't see em..."

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Two comments.

1. She doesn't look really happy to be there. Smile in the parade, or GTFO.

2. My department has 3 black command vehicles. 2 police package Suburbans for the Chief and Deputy, one extended cab Silverado with a plow package for one of the Assistants. We are a combination department with all the Chief's being considered part-time employees. The vehicles are all take home. We do not have that ghost lettering, but do have a nice large gold maltese logo on the rear side windows of the vehicles. I wasn't around when they were purchased, but they do provide a nice smooth, professional appearance to our trucks. Especially when compared to the garbage we used to have.

Micah

kmacinct

Jun 12, 2010
CT
I dont think She is the Chief..

Also, yes it is Connecticut Vehicle....

There should be NO BLUE on that vehicle what so ever....... Law.....

KM

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
insanely cool vehicle, but over-whackerish for my taste...the all-black tahoe with black rims and ghost graphics makes it look like someone wants to play LEO (i could be wrong, but i think i see1-2 blue modules in the front of the libby). Ghost graphics are for cops that don't want to stand out like sore thumbs in normal traffic, whereas fire dept. vehicles (except admin vehicles) should be seen from a distance in all directions (and should have some chevrons to the rear, even if they're only SUVs) IMHO.

Had this been red and/or white with a basic/standard graphics package, i would've loved it

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
My old department has 'ghost graphics' on their chiefs vehicles. The trucks themselves are all white, with standard department markings, except for the stripes that run lengthwise with 'FIRE' embedded in them---those are done in very light grey retroreflective vinyl. Provides visibility at night without making the truck look too 'busy' during the day.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
yes, i am dragging up an OLD thread... the reason the car is like this is the person who spec'd it wants it to be a somewhat "gray area" in regard to who it is..police (ahem) or fire... see how the chief and darien are in gold...and the rear only says darien...the fire rescue is ghosted...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Why in the world would you use a black Tahoe with ghost graphics for a fire department vehicle? I thought the FDs were all about maximum visibility, not steath. Need to change those flash patterns on the grill lights too.
My thoughts exactly.  And two grill lights would look better then four with two different styles

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Hey, a black vehicle in the snow belt makes lots of sense.  Well, at least in winter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
exploder97

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.