dash cam

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
hey all

so basically i am looking to outfit my POV with a in dash mounted camera facing out, i would love one that records audio, decent res, GPS time stamp,

what do you guys have and use, i am looking to spend max $200

I am looking in to this because recently one of my friends, was in the left turn lane, some a-hole came from 2 lanes over and my buddy t-boned the guy, the guy claimed my buddy was running lights and sirens and ran the red and t-boned him, the video saved his skin big time...

his camera is crap from china with almost no features, i want some thing better...

so what do you guys have what can you recommend here is what i found...

thanks so much in advance

Amazon.com: Itronics ITB-70G Car Black Box Dash Camera Video and Audio Recorder with GPS Record: Car Electronics

Car Black Box Store - DASH CAM, CAR DVR SIV M7 GPS, AMON

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Going to be tough to get all of that in that price range, there's a reason those usually cost more.

If you have a smartphone, there should be some kind of Video+GPS logger application available (just buy a windshield mount for it, eBay or amazon cheap)

Will look for one, also pretty much whatever camera you find will be from China or Taiwan. This isn't a lightbar market, Cheap O'China doesn't necessarily mean inferior quality.

EDIT: Amazon also has two other ones for ~$150, but I can't tell if they record audio or not. However they do have video out and playback screens.

EDIT: Here's a third one http://www.amazon.com/DOD-GS600-Black-Logger-1920x1080/dp/B004Q78QH2/

Last edited by a moderator:

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
Ipuvaepe said:
Going to be tough to get all of that in that price range, there's a reason those usually cost more.

If you have a smartphone, there should be some kind of Video+GPS logger application available (just buy a windshield mount for it, eBay or amazon cheap)

Will look for one, also pretty much whatever camera you find will be from China or Taiwan. This isn't a lightbar market, Cheap O'China doesn't necessarily mean inferior quality.

EDIT: Amazon also has two other ones for ~$150, but I can't tell if they record audio or not. However they do have video out and playback screens.

dont mind china just want decent

my phone is a very dumb smart phone lol lol

i want one built in not suction cup or any thing like that

what 2 from amazon? links? what about the 2 i chose?

thats so much for your input

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Contour GPS

Contour | Products | Contour GPS

135 degree wide angle lense to capture your entire front field of view if used as a dash cam.

1080P high def

Removable micro SD card up to 32GB (about 7hrs recording time @ 1080P)

GPS logging of location and speed.

Sound, the quality is OK, could be better.

Doubles as a helmet cam for good runs. I remove it from my dash mount and it takes 2sec to mount it to my fire helmet.

Waterproof to 3 meters.

These things are the cats ass as far as I am concerned and it will only run you $250 on eBay for a new one.

I have put mine through two house fires now with zero issues. I would share some video but each house fire is about 4hrs worth of HD that needs edited down. It works as advertised though, beautiful picture and the wide angle lense practically gets from post to post just mounted on my dash.

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
CPDG23 said:
Contour GPS

Contour | Products | Contour GPS

135 degree wide angle lense to capture your entire front field of view if used as a dash cam.

1080P high def

Removable micro SD card up to 32GB (about 7hrs recording time @ 1080P)

GPS logging of location and speed.

Sound, the quality is OK, could be better.

Doubles as a helmet cam for good runs. I remove it from my dash mount and it takes 2sec to mount it to my fire helmet.

Waterproof to 3 meters.

These things are the cats ass as far as I am concerned and it will only run you $250 on eBay for a new one.

I have put mine through two house fires now with zero issues. I would share some video but each house fire is about 4hrs worth of HD that needs edited down. It works as advertised though, beautiful picture and the wide angle lense practically gets from post to post just mounted on my dash.

i also found that!!!

i am leaning towards it big time because its so versatile and can do so many applications

thanks so much

hows the battery? does it over right? how many hours can u get on 32gb?

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
frumemtb said:
i also found that!!!

i am leaning towards it big time because its so versatile and can do so many applications

thanks so much

hows the battery? does it over right? how many hours can u get on 32gb?

I get about 4hrs out of the battery, they have spares you can buy. It takes about 10sec to swap batteries.

It will not overwrite, you will have to hook up the camera to you computer and either put the files in the trash bin or save them to your hard drive to empty the card out.

A 32GB card is around $30.

Your battery will die before you can fill even a 16GB card.

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
CPDG23 said:
I get about 4hrs out of the battery, they have spares you can buy. It takes about 10sec to swap batteries.

It will not overwrite, you will have to hook up the camera to you computer and either put the files in the trash bin or save them to your hard drive to empty the card out.

A 32GB card is around $30.

Your battery will die before you can fill even a 16GB card.

will this work well on my bicycle, i have been struck a few times lol and want to show that the other guy was at fault

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Just curious, why was your friend recording? Was he running code or does he always record while driving? I thought about getting a Go Pro. I like the wide angel view on both of the cameras. The contour is nice, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
frumemtb said:
will this work well on my bicycle, i have been struck a few times lol and want to show that the other guy was at fault

They do have a helmet and handlebar mount ;)

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Contour sells a car charger for $20 (just leave it plugged in when driving instead of wasting the battery?), but it is just a standard USB Mini-B charger (5v 100-500mA) so most older device chargers (Micro-B is the phone interface standard now for most manufacturers in the US (basically everyone but Apple) and required by law in China) should work.

Also, Contour | Mobile Apps - Contour Connect

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Search the Contour HD videos on YouTube if you want to see the quality. Lots of comparison videos.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
unlisted said:
Cannot find that part anywhere... ?
I remember seeing it list 3 meters too, but I can't find that information now. Maybe we both saw the same info. ContourROAM says 1 meter and the others don't list any info at all.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Like I've said in a few other recent threads, I got the Drift HD, which IMHO is the best of the three (Drift, Hero, and Contour). Not really in your "below 200" range though...

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
Klein said:
Just curious, why was your friend recording? Was he running code or does he always record while driving?

With some of the idiots on the roads these days, it really isn't a bad idea to record full time, even in a normal private vehicle while doing errands.

Just might help you protect you in court too from an overzealous LEO trying to make their quota. Or a red light traffic camera.

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
Klein said:
Just curious, why was your friend recording? Was he running code or does he always record while driving? I thought about getting a Go Pro. I like the wide angel view on both of the cameras. The contour is nice, though.

he always is recording... its wired in to his car... when he turns his car on it starts recording

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Ipuvaepe said:
I remember seeing it list 3 meters too, but I can't find that information now. Maybe we both saw the same info. ContourROAM says 1 meter and the others don't list any info at all.

I just double checked and it is the ROAM only :(

The others are only water resistant, not proof.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nothing practical is waterproof. Take a "waterproof not water resistant" radio, weight it down so it doesn't float, and drop it in 500 foot deep water. I guarantee the pressure will crack it. Oh and don't cheat by putting it in a deep water casing >.<

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Klein said:
I have a go pro. Works good, small, hd. One button for record, have mine set to turn off automatically after record button is turned off. Battery lasts forever when not in use. Comes with mounts too. They use it all the time for motocross, snowboarding, myth busters. Everything that needs an action cam.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
theroofable said:
I have a go pro. Works good, small, hd. One button for record, have mine set to turn off automatically after record button is turned off. Battery lasts forever when not in use. Comes with mounts too. They use it all the time for motocross, snowboarding, myth busters. Everything that needs an action cam.

I wish they had GPS.... Thats the only reason I won't purchase one.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
BackYardSales said:
With some of the idiots on the roads these days, it really isn't a bad idea to record full time, even in a normal private vehicle while doing errands.

Just might help you protect you in court too from an overzealous LEO trying to make their quota. Or a red light traffic camera.

:no: :hopeless: :no: :hopeless: :no:

Even in a camera thread, you gotta throw the LEO shit around. Been on the wrong side of the law a time or 2?

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
rwo978 said:
:no: :hopeless: :no: :hopeless: :no:

Even in a camera thread, you gotta throw the LEO shit around. Been on the wrong side of the law a time or 2?

If he still believes the "quota" myth, he is probably 16 years old with a recently suspended license.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
ISU_Cyclone said:
If he still believes the "quota" myth, he is probably 16 years old with a recently suspended license.

I dont have a quota, my Chief lets me write as many citations as I want. A normal day for me is anywhere from 15 to 45 citations per day...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
MEVS06 said:
I dont have a quota, my Chief lets me write as many citations as I want. A normal day for me is anywhere from 15 to 45 citations per day...

And I can write as many,.... or few, as I want; sometimes 0, sometimes 1-3, sometimes 5-10.... all depends on how busy it is with other calls.

That whole quota thing is so 80s-90s.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.