DCFD Rear Warning Question

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
In regard to the upper lights, what are they? They look like 600's on a large "L" bracket with 2 facing the rear and 1 on the side. Is this a DCFD custom? Here are some examples:

I can see on some of the newer trucks they are replacing these with micro freedoms.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Storm4200 said:
They are whelen 900 series 5mm LEDs

That's correct, the older rigs have them. They are actually fairly effective, would be better if they were red/amber and sync'ed but thats just my opinion. The micro edges/freedoms that are on the newest engines arent bad

RoaddoggAK

May 24, 2010
Erie, PA
August Arborists said:
In the first video at about the 7 second mark, who is the driver flipping off? It doesn't look like anyone is in that little silver SUV. I thought it was funny as he** though.

I think he's holding the overhead door remote out the window.....

tarheel3559

May 23, 2010
North Carolina
RoaddoggAK said:
I think he's holding the overhead door remote out the window.....

Like Roaddog said..he's holding the overhead door remote out trying to get a better signal. If you end up with crappy doors (like my station has) we have to hold the damn thing out the window to get it to work and even then it only sometimes works...

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
Oops, my bad, I thought maybe he was messing around with someone that had to stay behind at the station for some reason. Sorry about that, Chief (old tv reference).

Last edited by a moderator:

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
The newest units with the Code 3 Defenders and mini Defenders are ridiculously bright. Still completely unsynced.

I think DCFD is funny how the ambulances are synced with minimal lighting but the fire apparatus has a ton of unsynced lighting.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
DaCityPolice said:
The newest units with the Code 3 Defenders and mini Defenders are ridiculously bright. Still completely unsynced.

I think DCFD is funny how the ambulances are synced with minimal lighting but the fire apparatus has a ton of unsynced lighting.

Ours are the same way - the ambulances are all synched (multiplexed), but the fire apparatus is all self contained (no central flasher, just use the one in the head).

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
DaCityPolice said:

I thought that they were weirdly synced, with an almost rotator pattern if i remember correctly? Correct me if Im wrong

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
Rusted413 said:
I thought that they were weirdly synced, with an almost rotator pattern if i remember correctly? Correct me if Im wrong

As far as I've seen, every light head does its own thing. There are also several generations of apparatus out there with very different equipment. But I've never seen any kind of synced fire apparatus with DCFD. Ambulances are obviously synced but that's it.

Edit: Come to think of it, the SUVs (chiefs & EMS) do have some sync. Not engines, trucks or squads though.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
DaCityPolice said:
As far as I've seen, every light head does its own thing. There are also several generations of apparatus out there with very different equipment. But I've never seen any kind of synced fire apparatus with DCFD. Ambulances are obviously synced but that's it.

Edit: Come to think of it, the SUVs (chiefs & EMS) do have some sync. Not engines, trucks or squads though.

I was thinking of some of the newer rescues that are out there - those are the only ones I've seen with the code-3 mini defenders (i assumed thats what they are?)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.