Defrosters for your lightbar any one ever tried this or thought of it?

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
I was playing around on the web (highly unusual:crazy:) and I ran across this:

Frost Fighter Clear View Special Applications

So I was curious if any one ever tried it or even better yet was there a need? I know this was a concern back when LED's came out but never really saw any ideas on it so I figured I ask the group and see if they even thought it would be worth it

if you scroll on the page you should see a LED sign kit

let me know your thoughts :)

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Goodsam said:
I was playing around on the web (highly unusual:crazy:) and I ran across this:
Frost Fighter Clear View Special Applications

So I was curious if any one ever tried it or even better yet was there a need? I know this was a concern back when LED's came out but never really saw any ideas on it so I figured I ask the group and see if they even thought it would be worth it

if you scroll on the page you should see a LED sign kit

let me know your thoughts :)

It's funny, every year about this time someone asks this very question.... but I can't remember actually seeing someone try it.

(I can't remember the specifics, but I feel like the conversation always turns to it not being worth the effort.)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
let me run down the usual responses.

"thats cool"

"thats pointless"

"leds arent meant for winter uses"

"adding extra amperage for a led defroster ruins the reason of low amp leds"

"rotators dont need defrosters."

"screw leds for winter use, use a halogen rotator"

etc etc etc

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Jarred J. said:
let me run down the usual responses.

"thats cool"

"thats pointless"

"leds arent meant for winter uses"

"adding extra amperage for a led defroster ruins the reason of low amp leds"

"rotators dont need defrosters."

"screw leds for winter use, use a halogen rotator"

etc etc etc

I swear I've seen this episode before too! :D

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
that's pointless

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Long live rotors. :haha:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
chief1565 said:
Long live rotors. :haha:

chief fancies himself a pilot methinks

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Zack said:
(I can't remember the specifics, but I feel like the conversation always turns to it not being worth the effort.)

is it worth the effort yet?

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
Not for a light bar, but I throw a towel over my windshield so if I get paged in the middle of the night, I'm not waiting 10 minutes to defrost...plus, I'm getting a remote start installed hopefully by next week. Not the most appealing idea, but just a thought...lol

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Not to derail the conversation, but just in case anyone has the need, the repair kits for rear defrosters and other defroster items offered by that site are fantastic. I repaired the rear defroster on my van about 8 or 9 years ago using their repair tab and the gridline repair kit, and it is still going strong.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
So when I used the search feature it failed me on this topic...... :bonk:

But it has been great to read the comments

And I now know why they make the quick disconnects for lightbar wiring harness at the roof... So they can put the winter bars (halogen rotators) in the winter and then switch to LEDs in the Summer....... :popcorn:

I wonder if there are fall and spring bars????????? :confused:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
they're strobe

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Stupid me, I have an Avenger mounted in the front windshield and a 911 TD in the rear window. Between the windshield wipers and the defroster grid in the rear window, I have enough visibility in the event my lightbar is crusted over with ice. Its been my experience that even with a strobe lightbar, its not enough heat to melt through thicker ice buildup unless hte bar is on for quite some time.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
I just duct tape 2 propane blow torches to the roof and gently heat the lenses... isn't that what everyone is doing these days???

Then you deal with melted lenses...

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Always thought about LED bars and snow/ice. Maybe put a little heat strip in there, like engine block heaters except always on when vehicle is on.t

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Seriously, if its such a big deal (I can imagine to a cop it would be more so than a volunteer who is only driving a few minutes to the station) why not just pour a little bit of windshield deicer on it? I keep a bottle next to the house to pour on the windshield if I need to speed the melting process up and my sprayers are blocked.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
I like might mini-led-bar covered in a dusting of snow, creates a blended when on and stealth when off look. Like a giant flashing snow man...

NiftyX

Jan 20, 2012
Oklahoma, US
I cover my LED bar if I know the weather is going to be bad so I can just uncover it after the snow/ice. If the weather is really bad, the bar doesn't get much more than ice on it and since no one is driving fast, decreased range of warning isn't too big of a concern. Still, a defroster would be interesting. Be interested if anyone gets one in and working.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I park under a roof, and swerve to avoid snow flakes.

Seriously though, even with the rear flashers/arrow stick on while driving, snow and ice would build up on street hawks and MX7000s here in Dallas. While sitting on a road closure with rotators on, snow would still build up.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
I usually just park in the garage and it keeps all of the snow and ice off.

At least til I go out in it.

This past week when we had that little blizzard my code3 led bar had ice all over it, So 1 of these defrosters would be awesome.

I may try it and see if it works.

I could hook it up to the alley lights which I don't used to power it on.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
HILO said:
I park under a roof, and swerve to avoid snow flakes.

Seriously though, even with the rear flashers/arrow stick on while driving, snow and ice would build up on street hawks and MX7000s here in Dallas. While sitting on a road closure with rotators on, snow would still build up.

Guess we will have to trash everything and go back to Sealed Beam:)

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
AZVolunteer said:
I live in Arizona what is this "Frost" you speak of? :razz:

Whatever bro, just go a couple hours North. Although I lucked out and managed to avoid the Flagstaff snow during my academy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.