Detroit Fire Dept pic

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
crescentstar69 said:
I thought Jazzdad lived in Texas?

I was there. They just cut me out of the photo.

not listening.png

Man, those things are loud.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Captain4164 said:
"Hey, whatta ya think the Chief will do if I turn this knob all the way to make that thing work?"

Cute, Nick! Years ago when I worked at Rix Funeral Home, one of the engineers at a radio station called us, saying that they'd like to get a tape recording of the Q on our Pontiac ambulance. So my partner Bill and I went over to the station. The engineer came out with a looooong bit of cable with a Mic on the end. He walked up to the ambulance and held the mic, right up in front of the Q. Bill told him that he needed to step back and bit, but the guy said he was fine. So Bill stepped on the button and ran the Q up to peak and held it for a few seconds. The guy snarled at Bill, shook his head, and walked away, growling, "Damn! I'll never do that again.":D

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Somewhere a long time ago, a guy lost a bet that he could hold a Q siren when someone applied 160 start up amps of 12 volts.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JazzDad said:
I was there. They just cut me out of the photo.

View attachment 71502

Man, those things are loud.

I almost missed this one! Years ago we bought a nice old '61 Olds ambulance from a small town near Lubbock. It came with a Federal 77GB doubletone siren on top. First time we ran in that unit we almost got run over because that siren just wasn't moving traffic. So the following Saturday afternoon and friend and I spent the day removing the 77G and replacing it with a Q siren that had come off my '63 Pontiac. Since I had spent all day working on the siren exchange, I didn't think to tell my roommate Jack, who was also my partner on the ambulance, that we had changed out the siren that day. Jack had congenital hearing problems, so wore hearing aids in both ears. That night at the local races we had a guy hurt, so we loaded him up and Jack climbed in back to attend. If he cranked up his hearing aids he could hear to take blood pressure with no problem. So I'm driving slowly coming out the back gate of the race track with the ambulance all lit up. I'm taking time to give Jack a chance to get the b.p. But suddenly a guy in a pickup pulls right in front of me, so I roll the Q over to get him out of the way. Jack's fingers go to his ears and he hollers, "G.D. that thing is loud!" A friend of our who was riding with us that night gets a funny look on his face and whispers, "What's his problem?" I explain to him about the hearing aids and that I had forgotten to tell Jack about the siren change. Boy did I get an earful from Jack later that night! :yes:

One thing I should qualify: The reason the 77GB couldn't be heard well is because it sat behind the beacon, almost over the patient's head. But putting the Q in its place made the difference, and we never had a patient gripe about the extra overhead noise!

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Mndlm said:
Saw this article on DetNews.com

Canadian Walt McCall who is one of the publishers for the PCS magazine has a couple of neat books out on old ambulances. One of the ambulances featured in both books is a '37 Cadillac ambulance that was donated to the DFD by their then-Commissioner Paxton Mendelsson. That car was rebuilt in '51 with an all new body, and I understand it remained in service until the mid-60s or so.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Skip Goulet said:
Canadian Walt McCall who is one of the publishers for the PCS magazine has a couple of neat books out on old ambulances. One of the ambulances featured in both books is a '37 Cadillac ambulance that was donated to the DFD by their then-Commissioner Paxton Mendelsson. That car was rebuilt in '51 with an all new body, and I understand it remained in service until the mid-60s or so.

Skip can you clear some room in your PM box, tried tovsend you something and it said your box was full.

Todd:D

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
I almost missed this one! Years ago we bought a nice old '61 Olds ambulance from a small town near Lubbock. It came with a Federal 77GB doubletone siren on top. First time we ran in that unit we almost got run over because that siren just wasn't moving traffic. So the following Saturday afternoon and friend and I spent the day removing the 77G and replacing it with a Q siren that had come off my '63 Pontiac. Since I had spent all day working on the siren exchange, I didn't think to tell my roommate Jack, who was also my partner on the ambulance, that we had changed out the siren that day. Jack had congenital hearing problems, so wore hearing aids in both ears. That night at the local races we had a guy hurt, so we loaded him up and Jack climbed in back to attend. If he cranked up his hearing aids he could hear to take blood pressure with no problem. So I'm driving slowly coming out the back gate of the race track with the ambulance all lit up. I'm taking time to give Jack a chance to get the b.p. But suddenly a guy in a pickup pulls right in front of me, so I roll the Q over to get him out of the way. Jack's fingers go to his ears and he hollers, "G.D. that thing is loud!" A friend of our who was riding with us that night gets a funny look on his face and whispers, "What's his problem?" I explain to him about the hearing aids and that I had forgotten to tell Jack about the siren change. Boy did I get an earful from Jack later that night! :yes:

One thing I should qualify: The reason the 77GB couldn't be heard well is because it sat behind the beacon, almost over the patient's head. But putting the Q in its place made the difference, and we never had a patient gripe about the extra overhead noise!

Skip - you should have replaced the 77GB with a B&M Super Chief!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
Skip - you should have replaced the 77GB with a B&M Super Chief!

You'd get no argument with me on that, Matthew, but we'd never seen a Super Chief up close at that time. But we had run an S8B Siro-Drift on our '63 Consort. In 1977 we bought our first high top Olds ambulance, and it came with a Super Chief.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Detroit loved their PropelloRays, Roto-Rays, and Federal 174 and 175 Beacons.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.