Detroit Police and Fire Boats

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Detroit Fire boat "Curtis Randolph" headed upriver in a bit of a hurry and then just cruising back downriver. Its red beacon is a rotator, probably a Vitalite or similar. Designated E-16, it was put in service in 1979 and is named after a probationary firefighter who was killed in a backdraft fighting a fire in a vacant house in 1977. The Detroit Public Safety Foundation says she's the only class A fireboat on the waters between Chicago and Cleveland.

P1000807tl.jpg

P1000960t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I know Detroit is a city that lacks a LOT of money in terms of Public Safety funding, but DAMN, those look ancient soon-to-be wrecks...hopefully they'll find a way to replace the fire boat before it hits 40, and hopefully the PD marine division has new unit somewhere on the horizon (although I'm not holding my breath)

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I know Detroit is a city that lacks a LOT of money in terms of Public Safety funding, but DAMN, those look ancient soon-to-be wrecks...hopefully they'll find a way to replace the fire boat before it hits 40, and hopefully the PD marine division has new unit somewhere on the horizon (although I'm not holding my breath)
Almost 40% of the city's budget was claimed by debt payments. Detroit's 2013 bankruptcy was expected to last four years. It was completed in 15 months. There is now $300-$400 million per year freed up for reinvestment in city services. Most of it will be spent on police, fire and information technology. And this is happening at the same time that Detroit's Midtown & Downtown areas are experiencing the biggest development boom in 60 years. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Almost 40% of the city's budget was claimed by debt payments. Detroit's 2013 bankruptcy was expected to last four years. It was completed in 15 months. There is now $300-$400 million per year freed up for reinvestment in city services. Most of it will be spent on police, fire and information technology. And this is happening at the same time that Detroit's Midtown & Downtown areas are experiencing the biggest development boom in 60 years.
Thanks for the lesson, Professor, but I already get the the Wallstreet Journal. Yes, they have technically exited bankruptcy, but they still have a long way to go, including restructuring the budgets/finances and operations. I'm not holding my breath on the boats being replaced anytime soon b/c i know they have a lot of equipment that is relied on more frequently than the FD & PD boats (ie engines, comms equipment) that still need to be replaced while they are still in catchup mode

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Thanks for the lesson, Professor, but I already get the the Wallstreet Journal. Yes, they have technically exited bankruptcy, but they still have a long way to go, including restructuring the budgets/finances and operations. I'm not holding my breath on the boats being replaced anytime soon b/c i know they have a lot of equipment that is relied on more frequently than the FD & PD boats (ie engines, comms equipment) that still need to be replaced while they are still in catchup mode
One of these replies seems like an out of context response to the other...  hint-I don't mean LGR replying to the first post...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.