Detroit Police: Broke as a Joke!!! What's going on outhere?

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
Just as bad as the firefighters in Detroit. Broken apparatus, shitty firestations etc etc. You wonder who is behind all the mismanagement of the city coffiers.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
What a crying shame. Course if you pause the video when you see the city council and see whats sitting there that will answer half your questions.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
I honestly don't know how these brave men and women continue going to work in these conditions. We all work in hazardous conditions by the nature of the job, but what is happening in this city intensifies the risk exponentially. My hats off to them.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
The cops just need to storm the city council while they are in a meeting and arrest ALL of their stupid @$$e$ for for the highest penalty of obstruction of justice and officers. Those are the pieces of $#!T that are risking the officers safety at this point it seems, not the actual criminals.... :mad:

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
Some of those shots didn't really portray the CV's as looking nice anyways...this guy does a hell of a job with these videos...it's just a shame that nobody can get their head out of their ass to help these people. Detroit's going to end up fully abandoned one day...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
mcpd2025 said:
And I'm willing to bet they also let maintenance slide too, making it that much worse.

Of course. The reporter said the tread is worn out and there is no air conditioning. They wont even fix EMS vehicles when free labor mechanical is offered so I wouldnt put it past them to maintenance a cruiser. I saw a Detroit PD cruiser in November. It was beat. There is even a large dent in the door as if someone got slammed hard in to it..lol

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Clarence H said:
And you statement means what?
Clarence
Well... they spent about half a second showing the council and it appeared that most of them were black. I'm not trying to put words in anyones mouth here, but I think we both know what he meant... and I hope we are both wrong.

Detroit has been a city in decline for many years. As the car companies slow production and move factories to lower prices, that leaves less tax dollars in Detroit. I have never been to, nor do I have any desire to go to, Detroit so I don't know if it is a city mired in corruption and what not. At the end of the day though, as long as people are continuing to work their, its going to continue to be bad. If people stopped putting in applications, if officers turned in letters of resignation, they would be forced to change their ways.

By the way, I wonder if the Sgt got in trouble for the welfare comments. I would get written up in my department for something like that, even though I support what he said 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Damn..... and i thought most of the small broke ass piece of shit towns down here had broke PDs. I hate to say it but i would just abandon that lost cause and go work somewhere they appreciated me and had better equipment.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I can't feel very sympathetic about having to drive around with 112,000 miles and no computer.

Detroit has gone from a population of 1,849,568 to under 700,000. They've lost a lot of industry and tax dollars, so they obviously have less funds to work with. I wonder how many police officers they had in 1950?

I think it's crazy that people are actually moving to Detroit to farm small plots.

Here's (2) interesting videos about detroit:

Requiem for Detroit —

That first video is long, but worth watching to the end.

This video is short, but worth watching.

Detroit is a mess. I went there (2) years ago.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
It comes down to ethic, work ethic, and morals. Japanese people, for the most part, are hard workers with high morals and ethics. Americans in the cities listed, for the most part, not so much...... it's more of an entitlement society, what do I get for nothing, what am I owed....

If you want something bad enough, even the impossible is possible.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Google Josephine county sheriffs department Oregon. We're in the Sam boat, except the cars are doing better. My dad is one of 7 road deputies. There used to be over 30. People don't want to spend $30 more each month on their property taxes( 50something cents a thousand) for adequate police. Your house gets broken into, sorry cant do anything as its not priority. Lights and siren everyday

Most of the time there are only 3 or 4 guys on the road. My dad was the only one on the road other than a state trooper for almost a week.

We've got dangerous people out here, lots of dope smoking lunatics, and everyone has at least one gun. Don't so much have people who absolutely hate cops like people in Detroit, but it's still dangerous our here.

Hope those Detroit cops stay safe and get better working conditions.

Less cops=higher crime rate= people move away=economy down the dumps:rolleyes:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
FireEMSPolice said:

To pseudo-quote MLK Jr, I don't care what color of skin they are, just arrest all of them for obstruction of justice (and whatever else can be pinned against them for treating EMT and FFs like crap too) for what they are doing to the very people supposed to protect them because their own f'ed-up mentality has screwed a once great city forever:mad:.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have no idea if anyone meant to imply race here or not, but that discussion ends. We all work in public safety. We all know that ignorance, greed, and violence know no race.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
mcpd2025 said:
Or it knows each race EQUALLY.

I hope thats not what he meant, but that's about all I can assume based upon the statement.

I took it to mean that half their council is corrupt, I didn't even think to take it as racist until it was pointed out. Either way, we can discuss the Detroit issue all we want, but let's establish that no one person or small group of people did this. It takes years of poor management and broader socioeconomic issues to kill a city.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I'm sorry, but it is racist.......... against whites. I did a quick check of demographics. Estimates are from a couple quick source checks.... 85-90% are black, 10-15% are white. You mean to tell me that one white person couldn't be voted onto the council? I'm not even talking norweigan white, hispanic or native american white would do....

Being racist doesn't always mean you're against or for blacks, it can mean against or for whites as well.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rwo978 said:
I'm sorry, but it is racist.......... against whites. I did a quick check of demographics. Estimates are from a couple quick source checks.... 85-90% are black, 10-15% are white. You mean to tell me that one white person couldn't be voted onto the council? I'm not even talking norweigan white, hispanic or native american white would do....

Being racist doesn't always mean you're against or for blacks, it can mean against or for whites as well.

Unfortunately most city councils are heavily weighted towards one race or another, usually white, but it's nothing new. Just because this council is all one race doesn't mean that had anything to do with the city's problems. This is all pointless hairsplitting. There are numerous outside resources on what happened to Detroit. My take on it is basically a bunch of corrupt black politicians did what white corrupt politicians usually do.... Industry changed, tax base dwindled, government didn't adapt, Corruption allowed problems, problems forced the tax base out, that created more problems, which forced more tax base out, which was answered with corruption, see a pattern?

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Big Auto used to be the life blood of Detroit. Once the Big 3 moved operations out of Detroit, the city tax base and employment base dropped dramatically. I don't know that Detroit and its politicians are more or less dirty than any other council members in any other city... but I do know that they have no money cause they have no jobs, and since they have no jobs they have population fleeing the city, and since they have population fleeing the city they have home values more depressed than other areas around the country, and since the property values are falling, the property tax income is falling. Its a bad situation and I truly feel for the city employees that are trying to tough it out and I feel bad for the older and less affluent residents that don't have the resources to start over somewhere else.

As bad as things are on my department right now, things are a lot brighter than in Detroit.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
A couple of thoughts:

1) the old guy's video mentions Cleveland. While certainly a hole in some neighborhoods, it is nowhere near as f*ed up as Detroit.

2) I drove up to Mag-Na-Port a few years ago to have one of my guns worked on. They're in a suburb outside Detroit, and the person I talked to gave me very clear directions on what route to take so I wouldn't have to go through "that place" as she put it.

3) I thought we'd all agreed to pick on Station 3 for being Mexican.... ;)

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.