Diagnosing a faulty PA200E

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Have a PA200E that isn't working. Based on my very amateur research and diagnosis, my best guess is a bad output transistor. Long story short, I'm wondering if the switching/clicking sound heard in this video points to a bad transistor (relatively easy to replace) or if it points to something else.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Well, the answer is yes. Soon after I posted above, I remembered I had another siren amp I could borrow transistors from. When I swapped them into the faulty amp, it worked as it should.

The question I still have-
Is a bad transistor typically a primary problem or is it typically just a symptom of a bigger problem? I.e. is the siren likely good to go now that the bad transistor has been replaced or did some other problem cause the original transistor to fail, and will thus soon cause the replacement to fail as well?

Anything else I'm not thinking about? I see in manual you are supposed to chevk the symmetry of the output waveform after replacing a transistor. I don't have an oscillascope, so can't do that. No idea if that's a big issue or not.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.