Difference between the Ion wide angle and standard

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
What's the difference between the whelen Ion wide angle and standard. Which do u prefer and does anyone have vids to compare.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
The optics of the lens are different. I havnt seen them side by side

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I will do a compairson when I get to the shop in the morning. I like the wide angle better.

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Eric1249 said:
Would the standard be ok on the sides of a brushguard? I am guessing the standard is more of a focused beam

I think that the Wide would be best in the brushguard installation. I haven't seen them side-by-side, but I would compare the utilization of standard versus wide on a par with using a linear versus TIR in the 500 light. I install linear 500s when the intent is a wide dispersion of light, such as the outside lights in a two pair configuration in the grille of a vehicle. For the inside lights, I utilize the TIR style as I am looking for directional reach and punch. We have two ambulances on order and are moving from 500 Linears to Wide IONS for the supplemental brake lights in the rear doors and the high mounted turnsignals. These are lights that I am wanting a wide distribution of light so that they are clearly visible from all angles from the rear of the vehicle.

My installer recently outfitted an LEO vehicle with the Wide IONs and was most impressed with them, both straight on and at wide angles.

Jon

IslandFleet

Jun 13, 2010
Honolulu, HI
VolEms said:
What does Whelen use in the Ion mirror beams?

current mirror beams I have received are standard ions. i'm sure you could request it to be sent with the wide version, but the std ones do fine in that application.

sidekicks are avail in both standard and wide.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I thought there was a thread on here with a pic of the spread difference...

Too hard for me to search for it now on my iPad.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
It's basically for the normal ion it would be like a flashlight with a circle on the wall as compared to the wide angled ion which would be say more of an oval reflecting more light to the left n right. Or check out whelens pic for the m2 they have in same way with a normal and a wide angled. Hope this helps. image.jpg

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Is the price the same for the standard and wide angle.

Still waiting for a vid of them side by side. Any Whelen ppl out there.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I did a video and it does not show the difference very well.

the wide angle ion is on top and the regular ion on the bottom

P1000309.jpg

The wide angle is on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.