Dispatchers! What's the craziest call you've ever taken?

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I know we have quite a few dispatchers who are active here. What's the craziest call you've ever gotten while working the radio?

I have many and will chime in frequently if this thread gets going good...

I once got a call from someone who lived outside of my jurisdiction asking if the airport (located neither in my jurisdiction or the caller's area) had flights through a specific airline. 

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Years ago when I dispatched graveyard shift had a lady call whispering " They have hide the bodies in the old car behind my house!" After getting some info, get the on duty deputies en route, call the investigator and sheriff, deputy calls me on the phone telling me the old

lady is crazy there are no bodies hidden in an old car, that there isn't even a car behind her house. 

Reactions: Pimp
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
"911, where is your emergency?"

"Yeah, um... this isn't really an emergency... but..."
GOD DAMN I HATE THOSE!!!  If its not an emergency, why the hell did you call 911?!?!?!  LoL

The best calls I've gotten were from a "crazy lady" that used to live in the county...  At least twice a week she'd call saying: "They are at it again!!!  The drug makers!!!"  She thought that there was a drug lab in her attic and basement, and there was a track system in her walls that would move the drugs from the attic to the basement where people would pick it up...  She was actually quite entertaining, I was actually a little sad when she got committed...  lol

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
"911, where is your emergency?"

"Yeah, um... this isn't really an emergency... but..."

*CLICK*
Nice little edit for the most suitable way to stop the idiot in their tracks  :)

The Pd I used to work for, alongside dispatching for the PD/FD was also the main contact line for Gas, Water etc for the City.  Not really a "call" but was memorable:

One night, (Our PD is at the same location as the FD) a woman drives up, parks, saunters over to the rear door of the Pd (visitor's entrance) and buzzes in.  She calmly walks in, and says "Hey, can you get some fire department people out here? My son's cut his arm".  We have an Officer with us in the Office finishing some paperwork, so he goes out to help.  10 seconds later he comes running back in, and asks me to get several towels, and for my colleague to tone the FD out immediately, as well as get an ambulance.

Her son had severed an artery in his arm, and was bleeding profusely all over the passenger seat of the car. 

We tone the FD, and luckily because we were a small town, the Chief and several of the EMTs arrive on scene within 2 mins and take over.  All I know is he survived and that car needed one hell of a valet service.

It just astounded me, how calmly the woman came in and asked us for help, as if he had just cut his finger or something.

Reactions: Wigwam700

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
on that line i was at one of the EMA offices the other day and one of the HS guys was telling us about a lady who called said half her house just blew away like nothing had happened. they played the tape back a few times to see just how calm this lady was.

the sent SO and VFD out there. apparently her son was "cooking" and left the product alone to go somewhere and it blew half her house away. she acted like it was nothing

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Don't dispatch but we had a guy from OH call ours and say some woman from our town in MI called his number randomly and said she was hurt. Something about it was just off so we let PD go check it out first, ended up being legit though....

Although no one could explain why she dialed his number instead of 911.

I've known of people who prefer to drive to the FD/PD, rather than call 911, even when they're well outside our jurisdiction, and they know that it takes less time for an ambulance to get to them, than us.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Im not a dispatcher but we had a officer mess with a dispatcher a few times. One time the officer got the dispatchers husbands license plates and vehicle description and then called out a suspicious vehicle out in a canal bank that we all know is used for kids and other people to go bang late at night. Well the officer ran the plates and called out the location and description knowing that the wife "dispatcher" would be freaking out knowing its her husband. Well after the officer got the return he then calmly said over the radio to the dispatcher, "everything is fine with the car just two love birds doing the thing I will be going back in service" Well the dispatcher FREAKED and we had to calm her down and I thought that was awesome LOL. 

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
We always break in noobs by having the street side run funny plates that come back to like Jack Mehoff, etc.  But then theres this.......

Ding dong dispatcher.....happened locally...

Male Dispatcher: 911...your emergency?

Female Caller: (In a calm and even tone) Yeah...my water's broke...Im at XYZ street Apt 00

MD;  Ma'am you need to call a plumber or your landlord for that.

FC: NO!!  I'M PREGNANT AND MY WATER'S BROKE!!!  SEND ME AN AMBULANCE!!!!!!

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
I had a lady tell me she had termites coming out of her private parts. I also had a guy with a satellite dish on his head talking to my officers in morse code. I should write a book when I retire.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
was he a HAM?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I had a lady tell me she had termites coming out of her private parts. I also had a guy with a satellite dish on his head talking to my officers in morse code. I should write a book when I retire.

At the rate I'm going I could write several...LOL.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.