Do amber HAW strobes really flash amber?

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
Planning to install Strobe HAWs in the rear on my 09 Tacoma, and was wondering if the amber colored strobe tubes really flash amber? I have tried the red, and they ended up looking pink. My other option is to move to LED HAWs, but they just don't seem to have the "pop" that the strobes do. Heres a pic of my tail lights, you can see why I want amber. I hate clear to the rear.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachments/buy-sell-trade/89885d1298603860-2011-led-tail-lights-2009-2010-toyota-tacoma-tail-light-09-10-oemfit-rh-lamp-sale_270680623451.jpg

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Clear or nothing. LED HAWs are way to directional. BEst bet is cut out a spot for TIR3s or LIN3s. I did that a few years ago for my F350. If you want propercoverage, got with clear strobe tubes, if you want color, position and cut out spots for directinal heads.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Colored HAW strobe tubes look like dyed Easter eggs. Very pale, almost pastel.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Red and blue colored strobes are terrible. Amber isn't bad though. We put a number of them in some Caravans here a couple years ago and they're decent. LEDs would be better, of course, but if you have strobes in their already, I think the amber strobe tubes are ok.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I know a guy who ran amber HAW strobes in the reverse housings of a Chevy Cavalier and then a Chevy Silverado. They looked pretty good as far as showing up as true amber and effectiveness. I've seen red and blue HAW strobes and they do suck.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I run a pair of amber ones in clear housings and they look good, its a lighter yellow color much like the newer whelen leds, its bright and effective. red and blue suck as mentioned

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Richard P said:
Clear or nothing. LED HAWs are way to directional. BEst bet is cut out a spot for TIR3s or LIN3s. I did that a few years ago for my F350. If you want propercoverage, got with clear strobe tubes, if you want color, position and cut out spots for directinal heads.

..So says the man who has obviously never tried SOS universal undercovers.... :p

Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey USA
I know it off topic but does anyone have pics or a good explanation of how to get tir/Lin 3 light heads into a headlight reverse light, or fog light. I've been thinking of doing this but with the price of headlights or even fog lights for my truck I just don't want to go about it the wrong way and have my truck oos until I get replacements if I screw it up.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
74FirefighterEMT said:
I know it off topic but does anyone have pics or a good explanation of how to get tir/Lin 3 light heads into a headlight reverse light, or fog light. I've been thinking of doing this but with the price of headlights or even fog lights for my truck I just don't want to go about it the wrong way and have my truck oos until I get replacements if I screw it up.

Dremel, and template made out of cardboard or some type of wood to dremel out the proper size/type hole. If in doubt, cut smaller than required, and than shave off additional material as needed.

... If its a double housing, bake the light until the inner and outer housings separate, than cut only the inner (part with reflector/where the bulbs light up) with above method. Drill small hole in the outer housing to pass wires through. Than when all installed, reglue with proper glue.

if you are not experienced in doing this, expect water condensation about 80% of the time. Its really difficult imo to get right. (in other words, not really worth it... get LAW's or strobes!) Actually scratch that.. just get LAW's! :thumbsup:

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
74FirefighterEMT said:

check out my post:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2001-silverado-install-9161/

I installed a pair of TIR3's in the "dead " corner space on a silverado I did this before vertex heads were made.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.